Bivvy a month 2020.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by sean_iow »

Ralph and myself got our September BAM in on the Lomond Trossachs Loop, I'll do a full write up for that soon but for now just logging the bivi's here. This was the first night of the ride, I started late, after 1pm, and it ended up that at the time I was thinking about looking for somewhere to stop I was still on the edge of a firing range :roll: I eventually stopped at the first flat spot after the range. Picture taken in the morning.

Just after I'd put the tarp up a train went past, turns out there was a line just up-slope from us, couldn't be bothered to move so thought I'll just have to put up with the noise but that train at 23:30 was the last one of the day and I didn't hear another until 06:30 by which time I was awake anyway. Good job really as Ralph is a light sleeper.

He's also a fussy eater. I'll eat just about anything when out riding but he has very strict dietary requirements :lol:

That's me up to 7 and Ralph on 6 in a row this year.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Live BaM In Progress" as the saying goes.

Mr Picton felt he needed to get out there. Despite not thinking I had any 'windows in my schedule', a closer diary check showed that in fact part of today and tomorrow was free, so I asked my people to fax his people to set something up at the last minute.

Somewhere quick for both of us to get to was required, round Brum for Pickers and West Coast Main Line for me. First thought of Cov but on reflection that probably isn't Bikepacking Central. Nuneaton? Maybe - some nice country north of there. Atherstone! That'd be an unusual place to disembark. Only £12 and an hour away too. Some quite little known places between Rugby, Leicester and Ashby de la Zouch beckoned. And there we go! Ashby de la Zouch. A new theme - comedy place names! Went to Nasty last month so I've had some practice.

Now on 09.43 from LB after stashing a few bits of kit, and barrelling along at 110mph. As an experiment my 10L bar bag has ALL my sleep kit this time - Gatewood, tyvek, mat, pillow, pole, pegs/lines, sleeping bag and down jacket; all weighing 1.78kg including the bar bag and straps and 12g cabletie bar harness (which is still functioning faultlessly after a year or so). Breakfast kitchen, workshop, bathroom, water filter, maps and 1st aid dispensary in seatpack at about 1.1kg; odds and sods in stemcell and gastank. 500ml water in gaffer tape stemcell.

Plan: get off the train, meet Pickers, and look at the map for crazeee place names....
Last edited by RIP on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Of course depending on what HandCock says in 19 minutes we might be stuck in Crazy Placename Land for months on end, locked down in our bivvies on the world's longest-ever BaM!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

September take 2
Thought I'd cash in on the stunning weather this weekend and grab a second BAM. Not been up to Ben Alder area this year so figured that was the place. Started in Dalwhinnie and headed into the hills with no specific plan other than to laze around a lot after last weekends exertions.

Headed down the Patack. Took the fat bike for no other reason than its got gears and I was looking for an easy time!

Round by Loch an Earba and along a dead end track which heads up to the Alt Cam. I'd been through here last year in the other direction and scoped out a fine looking bivvy spot next to a ruined house:-

Perfect - this is an old farm cottage by the looks, but made of dressed stone rather than rubble walls so may have been in use post clearances of the 1700's. The old boundary walls were still visible and the land surrounding the cottage was level, well drained and grassy. A very light breeze kept the midges at bay. It was now only 5pm (how decadent!) so spent some time wandering round the area and generally relaxing. Made tea and then watched the sunset:

Not that dramatic - there is not enough pollution in the Highlands for spectacular sunsets!
Next morning was totally still so breakfast was eaten in the tent. (I'd brought the serenity inner tent with me for this trip after my midge epic of August, its well named!) That said, as noted by Jimmy, the midges were pretty placid with only a small number and just an odd one bothering me. I'd thought to just do some more nosing around today but given the weather I went for a bigger circuit to get some views. So back down to Loch Lagan, up Strath Ossian, over the Old Road to the Isles to Rannoch, then back to Dalwhinnie via Loch Ericht and Bealachs Cumhanh and Dubh.

Ben Nevis from Loch Ossian - never seen it so clear. (The hut is where Escape Goat bivvied on his An Turas More ride!)

Looking across the bleakness of Rannoch Moor from the ruin of Corrour Old Lodge on the Road to the Isles. This lodge used to be a hospice for TB sufferers in the days when the only treatment was to send them to a remote spot away from people and pollution. This fits the bill perfectly! Blackwater Reservoir and the Glencoe hills laid out behind, Buchaille Etive Mor centre. This is a fab route and really well worth doing. As I sat for an extended period at the Lodge eating and checking out the views, no less than 5 other bikes came past, all presumably doing the Great North Trail, An turas mor or the GB divide. three were on gravel bikes and made a right meal of a very minor burn crossing, the other two on fat bikes (sensible!). None of them stopped to check out the views......

Grabbed a bit of sand time on Loch Ericht Beach.

I always take a pic of the view from the top of Bealach Dubh. Think this is about the 12th time I've been up here now....
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I want to go back there now Phil.
The goat was doing the badger (ooh er missus) btw. It was me that did ATM.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Wow, weather looks amazing

Haven't been on a bivy in a while now, been too busy. This thread makes me want to get back out there, it's great inspiration
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

benp1 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 pm Wow, weather looks amazing
Nah, it's been rubbish in Scotland this last week :wink:

This was on the Cairngorms Loop.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Corrour Old Lodge ranks as one of my all-time favourite bivvy spots. The views out west as the sun sets are amazing.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:41 pm Corrour Old Lodge ranks as one of my all-time favourite bivvy spots. The views out west as the sun sets are amazing.
Yeah grabbed a bivvy there two years ago :-bd . There is a great spot on the founds of a subsidiary building just above the main lodge - level and dry.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well that was a particularly mellow BaM thanks to Mr Picton. Nothing spectacular, fairly aimless, around “gently undulating” countryside (Copyright 2019 R Picton again, although in this case he was actually here, and this time it actually was gently undulating).

Arrived at Atherstone station at 11am. It’s quite cute, with a couple of small platforms separated by trains thundering past on the main lines. Crossed under the line to await Pickers, and here he is trying not to bang his head on the world’s lowest railway bridge.

The town has quite a nice High Street, with a proper ironmonger’s and everything. What it also has is a proper baker too, and perusing the window display I noticed some gigantic cherry turnover things for £1! Nothing like an impulse buy!

There was no route plan, other than trying to find the next-nearest amusing (well, amusing to two old fools who are easily driven to sniggering behind their hands at the slightest provocation) place name or landscape feature, or indeed any juicy off-road tracks of which there didn’t seem to be that many so we’d have to weave all over the countryside trying to bag them all.

Our first port of call was just outside Atherstone and in typical RegRich fashion was a river feature in the middle of a field, by the name of King Dick’s Hole. We gradually homed in on it and the nearest lane took us into what looked like a private manor house. But no “Private” signs so in we go! We had to go through the yard to get to the river and there we met a lorry driver who asked us if we knew where we were. “Nope”. “Me neither” he opined, trying to do 100-point turn to get out again. Under cover of the lorry we nipped through the yard into a field which overlooked the river – the best we could manage without risking Trespassers Will collaring us.

It’s only as I’m typing this that I’ve just realised, as we’ll see later, that the actual King Dick is a big man in these parts so it’s not just a made-up name. The field appeared to be an empty caravan-site. It had a luxury loo, and as all BBB-ers know when a loo is on offer take it immediately because you never know where the next suitable hedge will be.

Checking the map we noticed a nice bit of off-road track a couple of miles away, which fortuitously took us through a hamlet called Ratcliffe Culey, 2nd curious name of the day.

Oh look, there’s a pub! Bit early but.. go on then. Through the gate into the garden, park the bikes, and Reg goes back out of the gate to find the front door. At which point Mrs Pub flies out of the back door with two enormous dogs shouting “we’re not open, can’t you read?”. Well, there’s cars in the carpark and the lights are on, so we assumed… “It’s written on the door!!!”. I haven’t got to the door yet so how do I know what the times are! Back into the garden I trudge, and we collect the bikes to try and leave via the other back gate. “Don’t open the gate!!! The dogs’ll get out!”. Eh? You’ve just told us to leave! “OK ‘bye, see you again never”. Tch.

Half way along the track is a ford which, er, isn’t a ford even though there’s water flowing on either side. After another suspicious local had screamed down on their quad-bike to check us out, we sat down and partook of our delicious turnovers. They were bigger than our heads!

A nice green lane brought us to the Ashby Canal, with its well-signposted attractions….

Next stop, the Bosworth Battlefield. This was actually extremely interesting, with lots of information about how King (Dick) Richard III (Rich3rd?) was defeated by a band of rebels in 1485 at the last significant War Of The Roses and starting the reign of the Tudors.

We deserved a pint after absorbing all that culture so a quick one was imbibed in Market Bosworth giving us a chance to find the next track and curious placename – which turned out to be Belcher’s Bar reachable via a track with another ford. This one actually had some water in it! We all love a good ford don’t we? ‘Course we do. Unfortunately Belcher’s Bar had no name boards so we hope this map scan counts.

Doubling back on ourselves, and crossing over the road we’ve travelled on earlier brought us to an easy score, for 3 points: Barton in the Beans!

Along a couple more tracks then back down onto the Ashby Canal again. The thing about canals is, it used to be thirsty work for the boat people. Oh look, there’s another pub! Well it would be rude not to. At this point Rich uttered the words we always await with trepidation as the day approaches late afternoon on our trips – “quite nice here isn’t it?”. “NOOOOOO, Rich, we can’t stop to bivvy yet it’s only 4 o’clock!”. Poor old Pickers, dragged away unceremoniously, although we now swapped over to his 1:50 map for the Ashby area so he could choose or veto any new tracks or placenames; I couldn’t resist this one though…

We had no idea where we were going to bivvy but it seemed an idea to go via Ashby de la Zouch, because a/ we needed to tick the name off, b/ there’d be some shops, and c/ there’d be, er, some pubs. The route to get there is a bit hazy in my memory now but I remember getting completely lost in a massive solar panel farm (“a maze of twisty little panels all alike”…), and also a curious set of signs on a track one after the other getting increasingly shrill about an upcoming crossing of some sort: “Beware lorries crossing”… “DANGER. Lorries crossing 24 hours a day”…”DO NOT CROSS WITHOUT CHECKING BOTH WAYS ON PAIN OF DEATH”… etc. Then after no change to the track or landscape whatsoever, looking back and seeing the same signs in reverse order. All very strange. On reflection, a remnant of the large number of coal mines and opencast sites in the area. Yes, we’d now left Pretty Countryside and entered the Derbyshire/Leicestershire Coalfield.

The less said about Ashby de la Zouch and its pubs the better I suppose, after which we headed off to Pickers’ choice of bivvy spot in a nearby forest. On the way there I spotted a sign for a visitor centre so we veered off towards it, experiencing one of the most pronounced and abrupt temperature changes I’ve ever felt. As we headed down into a valley the warmth disappeared instantaneously and was swapped for some very chilly air indeed. Then up the other side, suddenly it was like stepping from a freezer into a sauna!

On the face of it, it was a nice spot, but shortly after “lights out” we discovered that it was close to a/ a very large kennels, and b/ what sounded like a 24-hour gravel-washing works; oh, and c/ directly under the take-off path from East Midlands Airport! Hmm. Rummage, rummage… ooh, look! Some earplugs! I’m glad they’re always top of my packing list anyway :grin: .

I didn’t quite get the Gatewood pitch right, and it also seemed to suffer from massive condensation even though we were in some saplings and up fairly high, so my bag got a little damp. Still, a nice breakfast put things right, after which Pickers took us off for a tour of the park lake.

We had a shorter journey back to Atherstone but unfortunately, apart from filtering the lake, there was no water at the visitor centre. A few nice tracks brought us to the village of Measham, which then led to the strange sight of a couple of cyclists dodging in and out of parks, houses, pub yards, churches etc in a most furtive manner. It was only as we were leaving the village that I spotted a large graveyard. Bingo! Never fails.

Re-joining the Ashby Canal for the umpteenth time we passed a superbly gothic building which turned out to be a Victorian water pumping station. Surprisingly not for the canal, but to supply Hinckley 14 miles away with water from an old mine shaft. This was already 500’ feet deep and was extended by another 300’ to tap the underground water.

Further lanes and tracks allowed us to tick off a few more interesting names… oohhh dear, it’s all gone a bit “Viz” now….

A final long track across remote fields brought us back more or less to Atherstone, but a slight diversion allowed us to collect one last goodie, at Sheepy Magna:

I’ll finish off with a shot of the rather impressive Atherstone railway station with its beautiful brickwork, chimneys, finials and twiddly bits.

Thanks again for Pickers for his excellent company, over to you for some further wacky place names!

9/9, 9/12, 56/56

‘Reg’
Last edited by RIP on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Cracking report as ever Reg, loved the Carry On place names and the hat/pie scale.

It takes me ages to put that many photos in a post, yet you seem to publish these accounts very quickly after your return. How are you hosting them?

When I put up my gatewood it literally had condensation on it by the time I had all the pegs in - and I hadn't even been inside!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Borderer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:16 pm Cracking report as ever Reg, loved the Carry On place names and the hat/pie scale.

It takes me ages to put that many photos in a post, yet you seem to publish these accounts very quickly after your return. How are you hosting them?

When I put up my gatewood it literally had condensation on it by the time I had all the pegs in - and I hadn't even been inside!
Thank you B. Just don't tell Sean about the new "place names" thing, or who knows what'll happen :smile: .

Dunno really. I have my phone off apart from for photos so that the battery lasts yonks. At home, I'll usually stick a cable onto my laptop and copy them all onto that for posterity, then upload to Flickr as a batch. I'll type my ravings into a document as soon as possible while the memories are still hovering around, saving as I go along, and copying each Flickr image url from a separate window as I go. Same as you no doubt, each photo will kick off loads more memories to waffle about. When it's done I'll cut/paste the whole mess across to a BBB post, preview it, then submit it. Occasionally on trips I'll switch the phone on and upload to Flickr using the app, which seems easier than the laptop version of it for some reason, and then I use Flickr2BBcodeLite to get a URL for each photo which it puts onto the clipboard and thereby easy to paste into a separate BBB window where I'm typing some drivel. Anyroad, that's my "method" I think! If it sounded like I knew what I was talking about it's probably pure fluke.

Mmm, this Gatewood seems to be providing "hours of fun for all the family" doesn't it :smile: . I wonder what will surprise us next! I was a bit taken aback by the condensation because I've been spoiled rotten by the cuben tarp which doesn't wet out, shakes dry in seconds, and doesn't stretch either. It's sulking at the moment obviously so I guess I'll have to take it out again in October or it might store up some nasty surprise for me next time I do use it.....

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good report Reg, I enjoyed reading that very much, keep up the good work :-bd
RIP wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 pm Just don't tell Sean about the new "place names" thing, or who knows what'll happen :smile: .
We genuinely don't have any funny place names locally, or perhaps I don't realise as I've grown up with them. One of the things I notice on the mainland is the comedy place names, any trips heading thought the New Forest always mean going past the sign to Sandy Balls campsite :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

See, you've started already :smile: .

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Nice one Reg!

For a trip out to an area neither of us knew at all (Reg had 1 of the maps we needed, I had the other 2..... still marked up from a night rally I did in 1984 and not even taken out of the box since..... still, not much will have changed in 40 years will it.....?) and only suggested on Thursday lunchtime last week (Rich... Where shall we go then? Reg.... I've always had a hankering for Atherstone, we'll go there!) it all went remarkably smoothly.

As mentioned, some of the pub choices were iffy though, the first one we were turfed out before we even got to the door; the second one I did think was quite nice... on the canal.... we both agreed not a bad pint by any means.... good spread on the menu (maybe not the cheapest, but not the dearest either). Reg says we should go on the metropolis that is Ashby de la Zouch..... and Reg is picky with his beer choice. We should go to Wetherspoons. Says Reg.
And so it came to pass, we locked the bikes up and selected the nearest table so that we could keep an eye on them. Now one advantage of the Wetherspoons pub is they have an App to order your comestibles without having to leave the bikes unattended. A swift download and sign in later we were soon tucking into dinner, with a fine view of both the Co-Op and the high street which cannot (apparently) be negotiated at anything other than full throttle. Not too bad a meal though, despite the app ordering extra bacon for both burgers.

Anyhow, we plodded on and out to the bivvy spot, in the woods that weren't there 40 years ago, near the cycle centre that wasn't there 40 years ago.
The spot itself wasn't too bad as the pics show, but for the dog kennels howling competition and the airport approach. A half reasonable kip was had.

Next morning we basically cobbled together a route back only using one stretch of private footpath (the sign said no cycling, no access to bridleway. Both wrong it turns out).
And there is a decent cafe in Atherstone.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Atherstone is a grand little place been working theee for the last month , once you get to ashby though things start to dip downwards and if you’d headed to coalville (doleville as known to the natives of that parish) then things definitely turn grim , and that’s coming from me who lives in a small Black Country town , glad you had another fine outing men
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:06 pm
We genuinely don't have any funny place names locally, or perhaps I don't realise as I've grown up with them.
I noticed on the map there's an Arse Manor Farm near Shanklin! Ah, hang on a minute, the typeface is old fashioned - it's Apse Manor Farm :wink: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 pm Atherstone is a grand little place been working there for the last month
We should have popped in for a brew with you! Nip in to the bakers on the High St and ask if they remember the two nutters who cleared them out of cherry turnovers...

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:29 pm I noticed on the map there's an Arse Manor Farm near Shanklin!
APSE HEATH is just up the road from me, the road sign is in capitals, oh how each generation laugh when they think they're the first to discover how a bit of black electrical tape can be added to the P to comic effect :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Creative bunch you Islanders - no silly place names? Make your own :-bd .

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Times running out for me this month what with 2 weeks and 3 weekends this month away on holiday with the wife.
I'd better try and get out very, very soon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

There's no time like the present (*) JC - away you go mate!

(*) that's not true actually, 05:29 14/07/1992 and 22:30 03/05/1987 were good too. Apparently 10:05 26/09/2020 is not bad either.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:32 am There's no time like the present (*) JC - away you go mate!

(*) that's not true actually, 05:29 14/07/1992 and 22:30 03/05/1987 were good too. Apparently 10:05 26/09/2020 is not bad either.
Just sorting a pack rafting wild camping trip with a mate for this Saturday which will include a folding bike spin around the car park (to count count as my BAM ride :wink: )
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:24 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:32 am There's no time like the present (*) JC - away you go mate!

Just sorting a pack rafting wild camping trip with a mate for this Saturday which will include a folding bike spin around the car park (to count count as my BAM ride :wink: )
Hmmmmmmmmm! :wink:

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:47 pm Hmmmmmmmmm! :wink:
If we can't bend the rules in 2020 when can we bend the rules/guidelines eh? :-bd