Bivvy a month 2020.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by RIP »

Love that post Eric, gave me a big smile this morning thank you :grin: :-bd .

Cat amongst the pigeons indeed. Good for you, you certainly disprove the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" adage.....

Nice little setup you've got there.

Keen to have a BBB "Pensioners Charabike Outing" round Frog's way once things are sorted.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lancastrian challenge accepted :-bd

Looks like you are just up the hill from Egerton Qy looking over to Winter Hill, this sort of area - http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=371952 ... &A=Y&Z=120
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Bob
Absolutely bang on there :-bd
Well done :YMPRAY: :YMAPPLAUSE:
Bet you’ve done a few routes in Egerton Quarry too :-bd
I live in Egerton, but I can see Wilton from my lounge.

Well Reg
Put that one in the diary ! A pensioners’ outing.... (OMG ! Is that apostrophe in the right place.... :oops: :oops: )

Lu... too.. in the diary.....

:-bd :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Off Topic alert!!!
ericrobo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:11 am
Hey up Lu !
I hope you're doing well ?

"Am I still around ?"..... ermmm YES :-bd

I don't know whether any of your consultants suggested this, but I read that this Virus thingy can also trigger blood clots.
I know you tested negative, but there's so much they do not know about this virus.
I think you got it, it caused clots, it then "disappeared from the radar", but the clots didn't.

Hope you are soon back to normal... :-bd
Hi Eric et al.

Suspected covid was the reason I'd phoned 111, but the ambulance crew knew their business, thank goodness. I was in hospital from the heart attack/stents for a few extra days due to pericarditis before coming home. I was still getting temperature spikes and called 111 again. This time they left me in A&E for 18 hours instead of putting me into the cardio unit. At he same time, there was what sounded like an old, old man in one of the other bays, that open-mouthed coughed and coughed and hawked and gakked the whole time.

"This doesn't feel good" I thought.

Anyway, I got moved to the cardio unit but after 9 days started with the dry covid cough and a positive test saw me into the covid ward for a week where I lost 9 kg. of mostly muscle, it feels like. I don't know what the arse/saddle interface will be like, but for now I have to use a cushion when I sit on a hard chair.

So, with all the above in mind, I think the heart attack must have "just" happened and the hospital gave me the coronavirus. Now I just have to get over it.

I can do that :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Chuffin' hell :shock:

Sincerely hope you recover from both. If you were bad enough to be on a ventilator at any time make sure you get a scan of your lungs done, Covid-19 can really mess with them. Good luck.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
frogatthefarriers

whitestone wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:42 pm Chuffin' hell :shock:

Sincerely hope you recover from both. If you were bad enough to be on a ventilator at any time make sure you get a scan of your lungs done, Covid-19 can really mess with them. Good luck.
It sounds a lot worse than it was. I never at any time thought I'd kark it. Pulse oxymeter reading stayed close to 95% the whole time. Sometimes felt like I was breathing in/out of a plastic bag (just not quite enough fresh air) but that's as bad as it got.

Getting better now. Even planning a June bivvy just up the road.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

June done and my first night in a hammock. Very impressed with how comfy it was. I’ll be doing it again.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ericrobo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:11 am Given the amount of "proper" mtb'ing Gian does, I would be interested in his views...
As per DM, I find it interesting and read your first post with some surprise as to how well they work, yet I simply don't want/need that amount of gear on my bike. A frame bag with rain gear, a bivy bag, a mat and perhaps a some food or tools, that's pretty much it. Resr in the rucksack. For those long ascents in the Alps, some of which on easy to ride double tracks, I could simply strap my sleeping gear (quilt, puffy jumper, dry and long underwear, fleece hat and socks - all in a dry bag) or water bladder to the bars. But I don't bother and leave the stuff in my rucksack...
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

After our recent dry spell, rain was forecast for today. It duly arrived this afternoon and I was glad, therefore, that I’d ticked off June’s BAM last night. Like last month, I stayed local (4.8 miles from home). After a Google Earth study of potential areas within 5 miles, I settled on the Silverknowes area on Edinburgh’s western edge. I wasn’t in any particular hurry to get out there and finally left the house around 9.30 pm.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I had no specific spot in mind but rather two or three possible options in the general area. Similar to last month (but worse), on this occasion I arrived to find that not one but two groups of young, male party animals had reduced those options somewhat. Oh, and it seems these days that no alfresco drinking session is truly complete unless one has a fire. :sad:

I finally found a discreet spot under a big oak tree, sufficiently distant from the revellers to mask the noise and the smell of smoke. The move into position under cover of darkness, though, was rather ‘challenging’ due to the random clumps of nettles dotted throughout the long grass. Incidentally, the area lies under the Edinburgh airport flight path but obviously there are currently far fewer flights. I counted myself lucky that only four cargo-type planes flew over and all air activity had ceased by 11.30 pm.

After a two-beer nightcap I fell asleep almost immediately. I was awakened by the dawn chorus around 4.30 am but then dozed off and on until around 8. Once I'd downed a coffee and energy bar and Soreen mini loaf breakfast combo, I packed up and headed home. That's 6 of 12 done this year and 30 months in a row. Needless to say, I’m looking forward to going slightly farther afield for July’s effort.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
frogatthefarriers

I was afraid it wouldn't happen but, BAM 2020, 6/12 and overall 66 in a row.

Not what I would call a BAM but needs must....

Load up the first bike on the FIFO stack. Pedal 1 mile to our village hall where there's a handy dry shed.

Minimal gear needed/packed. Arrive late - after dark - unroll sleeping gear and go to bed.

View from bed...
Image[/url]

Small planning error meant I had no rainwear to get home in the ..erm rain, in the morning. Sat about on a comfy(enough) chair, ate breakst, drank tea and waited until it had stopped.

Now to start building up the milage...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Nice shed :smile: seeing as it's only about a week ago you were telling us about your hospital trip then continuing the bivi streak is quite a result :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Charliecres wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:50 am June done and my first night in a hammock. Very impressed with how comfy it was. I’ll be doing it again.
Welcome to the fold, sir. Or should that be, welcome to the hang. Details ... we need details.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

2020 BAM 6/6
2020 total bivvies 7
Current streak (months) 19
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:23 am
Charliecres wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:50 am June done and my first night in a hammock. Very impressed with how comfy it was. I’ll be doing it again.
Welcome to the fold, sir. Or should that be, welcome to the hang. Details ... we need details.
Well I bought a DD Camping Hammock last year as a cheap way to test the waters. I’d tried it in the garden but never spent a night in it before.

I used my Neo-Air for insulation beneath me and an Alpkit Cloud Cover quilt over the top. It was a warm night and I was toasty.

Having faffed previously with the supplied rope suspension, I made up some webbing straps and added a couple of old climbing carabiners. It’s a big improvement but the whole set-up is bulky and heavy, so I’ve started looking at whoopie slings, etc

I can see myself hammocking a bit for local overnighters but I’m not yet convinced for trips where TLS is more important. So I’ll probably persevere with what I’ve got for a bit and knock up some MYOG bits to cut down bulk and weight. Any tips greatly appreciated. :-bd

I didn’t need rain protection but I do have a Silwing and wonder whether that might work in a pinch. I guess I’ll have to try it and see.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

June 4/12 and 3/12 for Ralph :grin:

Hopefully this will be the last under the emergency rules if we're allowed out overnight from the 4th July, fingers crossed. I could easily have gone out and no-one would have noticed I'm sure, but I thought I'd have one last night on the lawn. I used a different shelter for a change, the 'race' tarp with a Trekker Tent Net Tent 1 hung inside. It was a bit windy overnight but not too bad and the tarp wasn't noticeably flappy. It's only when I make the effort and get out I remember how much I enjoy sleeping out, the sound of the wind in the trees, the light from the moon and the sounds of the night :smile:

I took the picture with the gopro which has up to a 30 sec exposure, so I should be able to get some better low light pictures on my real BAMs for the rest of the year. The lawn looks like it's lit up but that's just the light coming through the curtains from indoors, but to the naked eye there was no light coming through and it was nearly pitch black.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Hopefully this will be the last under the emergency rules"... indeed....

Fed up trying to think of another style of Emergency BaM so we'll stick to the tried and tested formula. Just to give it a little twist I'm going to make a play for the shortest BaM report ever.

Here we go, sneaking in at the eleventh hour:

Shed.

That's it. I defy anyone to do a shorter one. Oh bugger, I've just thought of one and it's still accurate and uncontrived. Will save that for another time in case anyone matches this one.

6/6, 6/12, 53/53

'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would think that something as fundamentally different as these bags is worth a discussion, in the wider bikepacking world.
Eric, send me a review and I'll post it up with the others.
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Charliecres wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:14 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:23 am
Well I bought a DD Camping Hammock last year as a cheap way to test the waters. I’d tried it in the garden but never spent a night in it before.
That was my first hammock but I quickly got the bug and moved to lighter/larger Sea To Summit one together with whoopie slings etc. I use a DD Superlight tarp over the top and a dyneema continuous ridgeline. I have a Cumulus top quilt and used a mat a few times but couldn't deal with how they constantly shift under you, so bought an underquilt as well. Looks like a great big cucumber when it's set up.

A hammock and tarp, together with an underquilt, is pretty comparable in terms of weight compared with a lightweight tent and sleeping mat. I find it's easier to pack though as you have a few small component parts that can be squished in pretty much anywhere.
I'm just going outside ...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:58 am ........... It's only when I make the effort and get out I remember how much I enjoy sleeping out, the sound of the wind in the trees, the light from the moon and the sounds of the night....... :smile:
What Sean says :-bd
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

For some reason I missed all the good weather in June then made Mr Landslide go out on the worst weather night of the weekend to get our June BAM ticked. What an evil woman I am.

A potter from home with my elected "other household" ride buddy, leaving about 6 and dawdling through rainbows and showers over to a local reservoir selected for sleeping and paddling potential. I was worried about the proximity to town and teenage beach capacity - given that I'd passed this spot on my road bike earlier in the week and its piles of rubbish (all neatly piled by the bins so, well done Sheffield).

At the reservoir we did a lap, sussing potential spots. We bumped into some fell-runner mates of mine who knew *exactly* what was afoot :???:

Up at the carpark end, we met aforementioned teens. Never have the words "its a bit manky" and "brrr it's effing freezing" been such music to my ears. To be fair, we didn't fancy a paddle either.

Landslide and I retraced our tyretracks to the end of the res. and found a flat spot amongst the trees and irisis where the river levels had probably been higher in February. We saw no further sightings of teens. Brewed up dinner through showers under respective tarps then after we were convinced we'd have no more visitors, got the sleep kit out.

Every time it rained I worried we'd be washed away but eventually my brain got over itself and nodded off. Up with the birds. Porridge and coffee consumed before a pleasant ride over to Lodge Moor to drop off Landslide for childcare duties. I visited "the pole" and the Mayfield valley on the way home.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

6/6 for this year 18/18

I have been suffering with a bad back for last few weeks and almost didn't bother but decided I might as well be uncomfortable and awake in the garden as in bed so put tarp up in a new configuration for me lifted from the recent tarp thread, I made my bed and slept like a log from 11 to 4.30 which is way better than any night in bed recently got up for a visit to the hedge and went back to sleep until 7 so looks like garden every night :smile:
To be honest it feels like a bit of a cheat as without the temporary garden rule I would not have gone out and would have failed for this year .
ImageIMG_20200701_070137935 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200701_070129204 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Is this pitch a Holden or similar ?
Looking forward to finally getting out and about next month :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Kev, not cheating at all - you were out there! :-bd

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is this pitch a Holden or similar ?
It's near enough. Generally, the front would be raised a little higher and the back a touch lower.
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Post by composite »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:58 am J
Hopefully this will be the last under the emergency rules if we're allowed out overnight from the 4th July, fingers crossed.
I think I'm going to try to make a return to BAM in July! I guess it must be almost 5 years!!! :shock: since I have bivvied. WOW writing that out has made me kinda sad that I lost so much time to my problems... Any way that's behind me now so time to move on. :smile:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Can I count an inverse BaM?

I’ve been living in a tent in my garden since the week before lock down due to my job - ICU nurse, and my 8yo daughter - shielding due to respiratory disease.

I won a night in a hotel for being a #nhshero :roll: So here I am in the hotel now having done a 200mile road ride with a few wee bags attached to get here.

Can I count this as a BaM? - No money had changed hands and I was camping the morning j left and I’ll be camping on my return home. Inverse BaM? What do you think :YMPRAY:

This would give 9/12 with April/May/June under emergency rules.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC