Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by ScotRoutes »

gairym

Post by gairym »

Great post Ben, interesting parallel between braving the weather/public scrutiny and deciding f*@k it and heading/coming out anyway despite the risks - chapeau on both counts!
Verena

Post by Verena »

gairym wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:21 am Great post Ben, interesting parallel between braving the weather/public scrutiny and deciding f*@k it and heading/coming out anyway despite the risks - chapeau on both counts!
:-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Excellent, inspiring, writing from Ben and (in a very different way) Reg.

Reminds me I need to stop looking for excuses to stay in, and just get out and brave/enjoy/get swept away by whatever weather is there. Thanks!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Thank you very much Ben for the wonderful piece of writing.

Through a chance encounter and an unexpected deep conversation which subsequently led to some research on my part and subsequent diagnosis by a psychologist all led me to discover that what I had thought was only quite a strong introverted personality is in fact only one aspect of a particularly high scoring Aspergers personality! It took me a while to get my head around it, but eventually all those little life events where I seemed to be the odd one out had a reason and slowly everything fell into place. Was all a bit of a shock for a 57 year old. Ultimately, it can only be good to truly understand our inner selves.

"The unreflective life is a life not worth living." said someone.

Back on topic. I'm going to kick off my BaM in March, as I'm not at home this week until Feb is over. So I'll be joining Borderer and other latecomers to the party
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Last edited by JohnClimber on Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Nobody has been mean to me because of my sexuality, I have never wished to be different, but there are small things other people could do at no cost to them that would take away almost all of the negative aspects of being ace. Accepting people are different is massive. Complaining about lack of representation in the media, as is true for pretty much every minority ever, once you see it you cannot unsee it. Be tactful in your questions, feeling invisible then having to justify your existence is messy. Don’t say “oh you will grow out of it” “You just haven’t found the right person yet”, even in the edge cases this may be true, you are completely invalidating that person with those comments. Just be nice.
Hello Ben,

My team (of 25,) before I retired had at last 4 of the the letters and more than one of each in some cases. Everyone had felt confident enough to tell us when they felt the time was right and, in part, due to the commitment of the organisation over the years to diversity awareness and the willingness of everyone to embrace it, no one ever regretted disclosing it. It was heartening to witness the sensitivity to someone's sexuality, amongst other things, in an organisation where many assume that it is none existent.

Having had a couple of part time jobs since retiring, it's obvious that there is still a steep hill to climb in many places and the grief I got from speaking out and challenging various prejudices was an eye-opener. I guess I am fortunate enough to be able to tell someone to stuff their job, which happened at one place.

I think attitudes are more positive and understanding with younger people at least until the drip of bigotry infects some of them but I do believe that the changes in attitude are now irreversible even if painfully slow in some demographics.

Though I expected nothing less, it is nice to see the positive reaction here to your post.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The weather has been site for about three weeks and I was almost giving up on BAM, not wanting it to become just a box-ticking exercise. However, it looked like there was a bit of a weather window last night and I'd been wanting to revisit Utsi's hut for a while so that became the plan. I hadn't bothered packing a tent or tarp, so if it was occupied, I'd just end up riding home again.

Snow condition was good/rideable all the way to Glenmore when I set off after 8. It got soft, wet and plowtery as I approached Utsi's though and I was reduced to pushing a short way past some of the snow-laden tree branches. Thankfully the hut was empty!

ImageP1060363 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0991 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

It's a small hut, not a big bike.

ImageDSC_0987 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

All mod cons

Read a bit, had a dram and some roasted nuts then went outside for a pee. Noob error of not putting on my waterproof jacket and then exploring (playing around) in the snow meant that I got my warm/dry layer wet. I didn't realise how wet until I got into the sleeping bag. I then had a few anxious moments as I struggled to get warm and was worried that I'd have a cold, sleepless night. Five minutes later I was fast asleep and didn't wake up for about five hours :lol:

Got up when I could see it was getting light (around 7). It's quite a view from the door.

ImageDSC_0992 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0994 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Just off making some yellow snow...

There had also been a bit more snow overnight.

ImageDSC_0996 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Had a coffee and porridge bar before heading back down to Glenmore.

ImageP1060365 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060366 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

My wife and a couple of our friends had planned a morning dip in Loch Morlich so I hung around for them for a while.

ImageP1060384 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060377 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060381 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Then, as chance would have it, I met another couple of mates out on their fatbikes so I joined them for an extended return trip

Image85092953_2598254887166392_7667284786850824192_o by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

That's me on the right.

Not a bad #weeadventure for a last-minute panic night out. :lol:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Lovely, apart from the swimming bit, nutters
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I take my hat off to your good lady and her friends Colin. None of yer namby pamby wetsuit nonsense for them girls :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Reg... can I just confirm. Did you just go out on your Brompton fully laden with tent and all. You superstar... I'm definitely gonna post my 'suitable' bike on that there thread Stu opened. Its not as cool as a Brompton though
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hi Shaf, aye, all rammed into the S-bag: tent, mat, pillow, bag, stove, water, breakfast, etc. She takes a bit of controlling in a damp muddy wood at midnight. Bit like Mrs Perrin really.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:49 pm I take my hat off to your good lady and her friends Colin. None of yer namby pamby wetsuit nonsense for them girls :-bd
Ah - wetsuits are a bad idea as it takes so long getting out of them and getting dry that you cool down too much. With a swimsuit, it's straight out of the water and into the Dryrobe. Neoprene socks and gloves are pretty much mandatory. Neoprene skull cap too if you're going to get your head wet (otherwise, the woolly hat seems to be de rigueur)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:48 pm Hi Shaf, aye, all rammed into the S-bag: tent, mat, pillow, bag, stove, water, breakfast, etc. She takes a bit of controlling in a damp muddy wood at midnight. Bit like Mrs Perrin really.
I think you've just set a new milestone that even The Cyclist that went out in the Cold (Tim Moore) would be proud of...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I travelled through the deepest darkest spaces of time from 2019 and found myself here.

Where am I?! What year is this?!

Now posted on the correct thread.

---------------

With no real time left for Feb, being busy till march with one thing or another, I managed to join a few others for a wet night out.

I waited until 1pm to set off to get to the pub at 8. I eventually left about 3pm, ish and just followed my nose hoping to not get blown into traffic, ditches, sheep, people, etc.

It was windy as sin - then it rained lots - then hailed lots - then winded lots again. I then had a 30k head wind to the pub.

not this pub. Also, it's the wrong Star.

I also found out where I could get my lawn mower sharpened.

Someone turned the lights out - love love love cycling in the dark. Decided to listen to some old nu-metal for the first time in ages, 36 Crazyfists, Nonpoint, Spineshank,, bloody great!

After 1 pint of cracking IPA - I was wobbly to say the least.

Pitched front to back (usually back to front, but changed it up a bit to see what happened)

My now go to tea (apart from Bourbon Biscuits)

I put my actual PJ bottoms on and had an Elvis Juice, put a movie on as it wasn't that social with the weather.

Leave no trace ( apart from a traced outline of exactly where I was :roll: )

Even if I did wake up soaking as the SMD let in LOADS of rain, soaking wet bag, wet bourbons, wet jacket hat and gloves, it was good to just get out!

Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Guys and girls with your recent bans, nice one!!

I want it to fat bike and I want a snow.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Love that snowy one, looks amazing!!
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Wow. I'm slightly overwhelmed!
benconnolli wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 pm ...scary things are sometimes necessary, and they are rarely as scary as being scared of them was.
I didn't really believe myself when I said this, but had made up my mind, it holds true in buckets and barrels
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

After weeks of putting it off and being put off, I headed for the Peak late on Sunday for a sneaky school night bothy bivi.

Sheffield's favourite indoor venue wasn't too toasty with some of that Easterly blowing snow squalls in the doorway but I stayed dry, if not warm for a very nappy 6 hours which definitely can't be described as sleep.

Highlights were the dusky evening sunset scenery...

summitting Win Hill illegally in the darkness on my tod...

and a couple of wild wee's (no pic - sorry).

Boiled dinner and warm Jura were on point (not sorry).

Got up in the morning to snow melt dripping through the roof onto the bike (picked the correct side of the hut to sleep on!) and splodged outside into the sleet for the down-lift home, shower and bed. Screw skool (work), they've had enough from me this month.

More words https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... -2020.html but no more pics - it's not your eyes it's my phone! It may have got a bit soggy.

Feb was a struggle. Fingers crossed March shrugs off some of this stormy nonsense or I am, at least, hoping that probabilities drift towards a sunny May Bank Holiday. :???:
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I like that hut, I stayed in there a while back and stayed on the side you were on. My mate slept where your bike is and didn’t seem to be wet in the morning, and it was very wet that night. Was a couple of years ago now

It’s in a convenient spot too
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

February BAM in progress. Things not going well up to now. Late start due to family stuff, then found I'd forgot my cup & bowl, then lost the last of my water when I kicked my stove over so gone to bed on a couple of flapjacks. :cry: Not all bad though - I've still got my whisky nightcap and my toes have warmed up without resorting to chemical footwarmers. Tried to post a photo but problems with Flicker - can't remember my password. Doh!

So, right! I'm home and can complete my post...

On the way there, the Oak at the Gate of the Dead, in the grounds of Chirk Castle

View from bed..

In the morning...

On the way home...
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Live bam in progress! After a rather ‘interesting’ ride across Dartmoor I’m currently in residency at Foggintor quarry......it’s rather fresh. Large rocks on all pegs and hope for the best.

PS if you don’t hear form me let the records show that BDS completed a run of 38 bams and even on a night such as this was not swayed by the offer of a £15 bunkhouse :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd . We're with you in spirit Stevo. You're possibly now 'with spirits', keeping your spirits up while imbibing your spirits :???: .

PS, that's a particularly malevolent-looking wood, Frog. Werewolves to share your nightcap?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:20 pm Live bam in progress! After a rather ‘interesting’ ride across Dartmoor I’m currently in residency at Foggintor quarry......it’s rather fresh. Large rocks on all pegs and hope for the best.

PS if you don’t hear form me let the records show that BDS completed a run of 38 bams and even on a night such as this was not swayed by the offer of a £15 bunkhouse :-bd
Progress report.....:left hand guy attachment point is still attached to guy rope :-bd

Sadly not to my tent, may have found the limits of my beloved telemark. :???: