Dubs Hut Day VIsit

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Dubs Hut Day VIsit

Post by Escape Goat »

ImageIMG_20191222_115255 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

After scouring OS maps all week in search of bivvy spots for 2020 and spotted "Dubs Hut". Right ol' challenge to get to the hut as I nipped over Honister Pass - felt a load better than last years attempt of this pass on a road bike. Thought I'd share a couple of pictures post ride because this area is so bloody pretty.

ImageIMG_20191222_111715 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

I can't say that I found a cafe at the top, the cafe has always been there, I can say that I noticed it instead. Coffee was £2.00 and stayed hot for quite some time, decent too. I paired this caffeine boost with a double ginger energy bar from Alpkit, Keswick. It's probably one of the most enjoyable energy bars I've ever eaten.

ImageIMG_20191222_110316 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

After checking the Garmin I realised my original route of down into Buttermere, turn left and head back up the bridal path the other side would only bring me right back to the top of Honister. Deciding against to ascents in one day, I opted to cycle the rest of the 500ft to the top of the quarry cycling about 80% of the way up and the other 20% pushing.The adverse gradient was full of wheelspin tomfoolery until I got to the top. Deciding to carry on to the original final destination of Dubs Hut.

ImageIMG_20191222_110301 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Below is a picture of a 4x4 making light work of the climb I was yet to attempt.

ImageIMG_20191222_110631 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

There's a decent water supply right outside the hut - no need to carry lots of water :-bd Turns out the hut had only just been vacated, lovely and warm with a stove just cooling down.

ImageIMG_20191222_114901 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

It was a little hard to get going again as it was a bit windy and misty / raining, but the views where just so spectacular I was on my way again. The previous wheelspin ascent was a much better downhill with plenty of lumps and bumps to make it a little more interesting.

ImageIMG_20191222_120433 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

I can't wait to go back to this place and stay the night, I'm absolutely desperate for a clear night of star gazing either in my tent, tarp, binbag, or a bothy such as this. Warnscale Bothy is just down the way too, so if it's full or other there's always another choice.
ImageIMG_20191222_115705 by Escape Goat, on Flickr
Shewie

Re: Dubs Hut Day VIsit

Post by Shewie »

Gorgeous pics :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Cheers Shewie! :-bd
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Great pics Al! :-bd

If you're ever heading back to find Warnscale, it's worth adding a POI flag on your Garmin. It's not the easiest place to find if you've not been before, especially in the dark!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Cheers Wotsits! I was a little sad that I noticed that Warnscale bothie was where it was, I'll be popping out again and having a look, maybe on a slightly different route :)
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

It's prob about 15-20mins from Dubs Al, not the easiest to get a loaded bike to from there though..

The view down the valley from the window inside is worth a visit on its own!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I believe so!

Looks like it's here;

ImageScreenshot_20191222_192709 by Escape Goat, on Flickr
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Thats the puppy Al, doesn't show it that well on the map, but above it is a boulder field that you have to climb down to get to the bothy..

It's a longer, but probably easier route, to head up from the Buttermere side & fork-off onto the footpath after Warnscale Bottom..
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

That's what I'm thinking - bikes unloaded but still, bit lumpy. Don't want to head out too much on the same roads or bridal way to keep it a little spicy.
gloryhallelujahAl

Post by gloryhallelujahAl »

Stunning pics! Gonna have to check it out 😀
Al
Sanguis et Ignis
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Cheers! I'm wanting to stay at this Bothy - but speaking to someone they said it's really busy - the stove was warm when I got there in the morning, but I think I was talking with the young couple that was in the slate mine who had it.