Winter MTL: 16th early from Wategrove (if anyone wishes to join)!

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shall we do a bivy or long days riding?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:57 pm

I wanna bivy through the route
33%
No, I wanna ride this route straight through cos its so vaguely exciting
67%

Total votes: 3
redefined_cycles

Winter MTL: 16th early from Wategrove (if anyone wishes to join)!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry if it feels like I'm always going on (and on) and on about the MTL... Its just that it was probably my stepping stone into the world of all the other big riding.

After seeing Rich Pips attempt at the HT550 it gave me the thought of a winter MTL. Dates to be confimed but is anyone else a possibly interestee (is that even a word)..

I'm think end of Feb as March is starting of Spring (right?) so it'd not be a winter MTL would it...

Anyone :???:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Winter MTL: Groupstart anyone?

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:32 pm.

After seeing Rich Pips attempt at the HT550 it gave me the thought of a win MTL
Ie. MTL is a baby compared to the monstrous HT550 so must be easy enough (right)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm vaguely interested in this, on the basis that the weather is milder down south at that time of year. Still a hell of a drive to get there and back, so I'd likely try to fit some other stuff around it. I assume this is an overnighter you're thinking of?
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:47 pm I'm vaguely interested in this, on the basis that the weather is milder down south at that time of year. Still a hell of a drive to get there and back, so I'd likely try to fit some other stuff around it. I assume this is an overnighter you're thinking of?
Yup... I'm happy either way Colin...
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi. If the dates fall right for me nearer the time I'd be keen to join you.
redefined_cycles

Excellent Dave... Colin, I suppose you're coming the farthest so I suppise it would be fsir to ask you what dates fit best for yourself please (if you managed to come). Dont worry if you had to cancel plans as its only to get the date/dates set for the mo... anywhere before winter finishes is good...

?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Au contraire. Just publish a date you want to to do it and I'll hope to be available. I ain't working at the moment so should be able to fit something in. I assume you mean to do it some time before the vernal equinox (20th March)? That being the case, the latest weekend would be 14th/15th.
Chew

Post by Chew »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:32 pm Sorry if it feels like I'm always going on (and on) and on about the MTL...
There are many, many routes which are far more interesting than the MTL...
Let me know if you want me to send you any of them?
redefined_cycles

Chew wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:12 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:32 pm Sorry if it feels like I'm always going on (and on) and on about the MTL...
There are many, many routes which are far more interesting than the MTL...
Let me know if you want me to send you any of them?
True.. but none of them have the historical significance nor a plaque in honour of Miss Townley in't middle... right? I imagine they have hairer sections too?? Send some lver anyway please Chew. Ta
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Some routes are iconic due to their history and legacy. MTL always struck me as one of those.
redefined_cycles

Re: Winter MTL: Groupstart anyone? 8th/9th Feb

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:41 pm Au contraire. Just publish a date you want to to do it and I'll hope to be available. I ain't working at the moment so should be able to fit something in. I assume you mean to do it some time before the vernal equinox (20th March)? That being the case, the latest weekend would be 14th/15th.
Right then... Lets call it second weekend of February as it falls perfectly into the middle week of the winter season (as defined by met office and ends just as you said Coling, 20th March)... 8th and 9th. We can decide closer to the time if we're starting early on the saturday (8th) and be done by the evening... pr if we're starting lazily on the saturday aft so can bivvy out midway and arrive back to cars on the Sunday.

I think most people would probably prefer heading out early and be done by evw but can always work that out closer to the time pending whoever is coming and their preferences... :-bd
lune ranger

Re: Winter MTL: Groupstart anyone? 8th and/or 9th Feb

Post by lune ranger »

Where on the MTL would you be starting from?
I could be interested if I could get there by train. Preference would be to bivi as i’d be heading up from Exeter, it’s a long way to go for a day ride.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:54 pm Where on the MTL would you be starting from?
I could be interested if I could get there by train. Preference would be to bivi as i’d be heading up from Exeter, it’s a long way to go for a day ride.
Rochdale would probably be the closest station Luke. Wategrove reservoir (start point) has a decent car park you see and only 3 miles away. I should have room to collect 1 or 2 from the station if I manage to get my roof racks in time...
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

If you're riding it over 2 days that should leave time for a lap round both Lee & Crag Quarries! :geek:

Chew's your man for that manor, but i'd say somewhere round the Hebden area would make a good overnight choice. Could struggle for places to eat in the eve that don't serve alcohol though Shaf..

Might also tag along if i can make it..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

Wotsits wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:15 pm If you're riding it over 2 days that should leave time for a lap round both Lee & Crag Quarries! :geek:

Chew's your man for that manor, but i'd say somewhere round the Hebden area would make a good overnight choice. Could struggle for places to eat in the eve that don't serve alcohol though Shaf..

Might also tag along if i can make it..
Eating: food on board the bikes?
Lee and cragg quarries: I can add that in if people would like.
Eating: we could always veer off course and eat at one of the takeaways if we so wished (I think I know a nice place near Hebden/Todmorden).
You tagging along: dude that would be most amazing (I didn't tell you this but did mention to Karl and he said I should tell ya*

*that day when you was born behind the sign for the trailcentre. It was my 'help from Allah' which I always hope for on such nasty rides. Then when you waited miles later at the top of the climb where I asked, "you waited"... You explained "well off course"... It only just confirmed it for me. I reckon without your encouragement (especially the bit you said you might ask Stu to come collect us which was obviously funny as he'd never do that and nor would angone eant to be picked up/off... but it sure worked ss good encouragement) and the other lads knackered garmin file and heel (and my halal cola bottles which felt like morphine but the pain relief only lasted a few seconds), I'd be close to not making it back in 36H :sad: thanks Jase (and the argonauts)
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

On a mission from God- i'll take that Shaf!! :grin:

Was a pleasure to ride with you & Mark pal, & as we all know- it's about the journey rather than the destination.. Some good memories there :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

Yup. Defo. Thanks again Jase and Mark... It was such a wonderful feeling, after having ridden through the night with him as well as bivied out, when he caught up afyer lunch at the trailcentre.

What a ride!... Thanks again Stu and Dee
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve had a look at options for trains and I’m not going to be able to make this work. It’d be a 4 day trip for two short riding days. Another time maybe. Enjoy
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:25 pm I’ve had a look at options for trains and I’m not going to be able to make this work. It’d be a 4 day trip for two short riding days. Another time maybe. Enjoy
Does seem a bit extreme to be fair as its ok but not all that worth going through a 4 day return trip... its not all that special (like Chew said)...
Chew

Post by Chew »

Let me have a look at the maps and i'll be able to come up with an alternative which is around the same distance, but picks up some better trails.
Say 100k?
Probably start from Halifax/Hebden stations
Unsure what i'm doing that weekend, but theres the potential of floor space on the friday night at mine :-bd
redefined_cycles

Excellent... thanks Chew. I'm sure everyone will be happy with that floor space and foregoing of some of the dirtier sections of the MTL... 100km sounds spot on and we can always call it the Chews Mary Townley Loop... Maybe in another 30 years theyll change the plaque to add 'Chews'...

Do please get the revised one to go past the MTL stone at least please Chew...

To those that are coming from farther afield, we can always have a discussion about which one we'll take (FWIW to me the revised route sounds like a perfect plan to spend some quality riding)...
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Interested in joining too if I may.
redefined_cycles

fatbikerbill wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:34 pm Interested in joining too if I may.
Yes why not... :-bd
gallowayboy

Post by gallowayboy »

As its on my doorstep and I like to do a Mary Townley (just for gate practice really) once a year it'd be rude not to turn out....
redefined_cycles

Right.. since there's plenty, erm, gate openers planning to come along (sorry :lol: couldn't help myself) I thought it would be the right thing to do to ask the question of 'bivy or ride through'... riding straight through would mean theres the option (if anyone wished to take it) of a lovely pizza joint just down the road (in Rochdale central which doesn't charge an arm and 3 legs)...

Anyway, poll been opened for 7 days so feel free to vote and we shall let it dictate if its gonna be a 'heavy' bivy ride or lighterweight (won't be light as theres no amenities enroute so certain amount of food water might need carrying) straight through ride...

Starting times would make sense as 7am (no bivy) or 12noon(with bivy)...