Scottish Winter Bivvy

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Scottish Winter Bivvy

Post by fatbikephil »

That was a great weekend, cheers to all who attended and Bridget for suggesting such a great bothy and humpffing 20kg of coal all the way in, for which she should be awarded the Order of the Bear or something.....

I rode in from Moffat by the Romans and Reivers route. The 'big push' out of Garrogill was straightforward but 4 cans, a pint of milk and a fire log made it quite hard work......

Jamie watching the bothy TV
5 star bothy with toilet! (which was a relief this morning I can tell you)

This morning I back tracked down the R & R route (which made for a fab descent) and then on a whim turned up the Southern Upland Way for a few k to just before it climbs through the narrow gorge over to Ettrick
I checked out the snow covered hills and figured I should try and bag some freshies. So more pushing up onto Croft Head at 642m. This is the SUW 'fair weather route'
Rime ice!
This was part of what was an ace trail with much fresh snow. The descent went on for ages.... Back to the car then a leisurely drive home eating more food
Borderer

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy

Post by Borderer »

Only 10kg of coal :wink: But I will humbly accept the Order of the Bear anyway :lol:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sorry I didn't make it. My stepdaughter fell ill at the last minute and I had to look after the dog. She has been to bothies before but she's a rescue dog and doesn't cope well with strangers, especially a group so I did a Shaun and took myself off to Mark Cottage all on my lonesome.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nay worries Ray, we were just talking about doing a spring thing next year as we missed it this year so hopefully catch up then
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Borderer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm Only 10kg of coal :wink: But I will humbly accept the Order of the Bear anyway :lol:
How'd you bring in 10kg of coal please Bridget... on the bike or other transport methods... well done on that :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:52 am
Borderer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm Only 10kg of coal :wink: But I will humbly accept the Order of the Bear anyway :lol:
How'd you bring in 10kg of coal please Bridget... on the bike or other transport methods... well done on that :-bd
I just stuck it in a rucksack. Having the equivalent weight of my bike on my back wasn't something I can really recommend though. :???:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Borderer wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:42 am
I just stuck it in a rucksack. Having the equivalent weight of my bike on my back wasn't something I can really recommend though. :???:
And lo the new pastime of bothy mines was invented
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

:smile: ur wel ard...
Borderer wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:42 am
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Ray Young wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:19 pm Sorry I didn't make it. My stepdaughter fell ill at the last minute and I had to look after the dog. She has been to bothies before but she's a rescue dog and doesn't cope well with strangers, especially a group so I did a Shaun and took myself off to Mark Cottage all on my lonesome.
:lol:

I was worse and ended up home alone looking after the dogs and 2 horses as my wife was away for the week.

Well done to those who braved the wilds of Dumfries and Galloway.