Malta routes / Trips

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Daveysnaps

Malta routes / Trips

Post by Daveysnaps »

Hi folks,

Me and the better half are thinking about heading to Malta with the bikes for a trip over Christmas. Has anyone been to Malta and done any cycling ?

Thanks
Taylor

Re: Malta routes / Trips

Post by Taylor »

Been to Malta/Gozo but only to dive.
Might be limited with cycling on the island from what I remember.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

If you can get hold of a copy of Sidetracked magazine volume 3, or pm me and I'll take some pics, there's an article on mountain biking in Malta. Thin on detail, but good for inspiration.

Sure I watched a short film from Malta a while back too, but can't remember where.

I have some family links to the island (none living there however) and went back (only the second time in my life) in the summer to scatter my grandparent's ashes. It has a certain kind of charm to it, but would I go there for a holiday? Honestly, probably not.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:30 pm If you can get hold of a copy of Sidetracked magazine volume 3, or pm me and I'll take some pics, there's an article on mountain biking in Malta. Thin on detail, but good for inspiration.

Sure I watched a short film from Malta a while back too, but can't remember where.

I have some family links to the island (none living there however) and went back (only the second time in my life) in the summer to scatter my grandparent's ashes. It has a certain kind of charm to it, but would I go there for a holiday? Honestly, probably not.
My boy is an 8th Maltese and very proud of the fact. He would love to go there for that reason. I'd like to go and take bikes but I thought it might be a bit pointless if you can ride all over it in a day..... would love to hear otherwise though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yummy, Maltesers are my favourites too! :-bd

Oh. Er, as you were.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

We went for a tourist hol years back. My lasting impression the signs saying private in the countryside.

Some pretty bits, but get off my land.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Richpips wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:34 am We went for a tourist hol years back. My lasting impression the signs saying private in the countryside.

Some pretty bits, but get off my land.
Yeah, I'd hate that.
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

Had a family Christmas holiday in Malta about 12 years ago, really enjoyed it. Avoid chicken sandwiches at the outbound airport though, gave my son food poisoning. Luckily the Samurai jeep we hired was so rusty he could vomit through the floor.

Not cycled Malta but found plotaroute really good for finding holiday routes when in Lanzarote, just need to review them and pick what suits your riding. This search gave only off road, you can also use mixed or road filters for different results. Might be able to put together a few decent rides if you’re set on the destination. Their national rabbit dish is excellent.

https://www.plotaroute.com/routes/cycli ... &Terrain=1
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Been 4 times, twice with a car to explore. The SW. W and N parts of the island are the least inhabited areas and I personally would happily explore the area on a mountain bike. Yes you do see keep out signs but use your common sense in the areas mentioned and I think you'd be fine even for an overnight stop.
There are some waymarked paths and Malta has an MTB club too. The last time I looked they were happy for visitors to join them on their weekly ride. A quick search of the net brings up routes as well.
When out there on holiday with my wife and mother in law and I had just the slightest chance, I'd love to get away for a bivi, even one night, but it just ain't gonna happen, :sad: .
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Fordy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:04 pm Had a family Christmas holiday in Malta about 12 years ago, really enjoyed it. Avoid chicken sandwiches at the outbound airport though, gave my son food poisoning. Luckily the Samurai jeep we hired was so rusty he could vomit through the floor.
Welcome Fordy.
Quality first comment. :-bd
More like this please :lol: :lol: :lol: