Tour Divide Part 1.....

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Tour Divide Part 1.....

Post by Richpips »

Unusually it’s taken me awhile to make a start writing up our TD trip.

Here’s part one though.

https://minipips.blogspot.com/2019/09/t ... art-1.html
macinblack

Re: Tour Divide Part 1.....

Post by macinblack »

Heart-warming stuff as usual. Last picture gives away a happy ending. Brilliant.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

As you know my Joe is 6 months or so older than Tom. We don't push things anywhere near as hard as you guys do - mostly as I want to try to keep him on board and he really isn't competitive at all, so big miles and fast times do nothing for him. It is vital that it is fun and enjoyable for him. But I am still losing him anyway - he just doesn't want to come with me any more, which makes me very sad.

I don't know why teenagers turn away from things that previously made them happy, but so many of them do. Getting him to come out on the bike at all now is a major negotiation - even though once he gets out there he does enjoy it - there is no hiding that he does.

It's a tough time alright. I hope you and Tom work it out somehow. I guess you must have because you made it to Indian Wells!

Nice write up. I enjoyed part 1. It doesn't seem late at all to me - I have still not finished writing up Cuba and we left there in May.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

It's all kids when they get the hormones flowing and start turning into adults ,you just have to hope the things you've done with them in the past ,even the stuff they really didn't like but they got a great sense of achievement out of will resonate with them as they go through the faze ,on the plus side we've taught them valuable lessons that sit with them through life my young fellas favourite is, the only thing to be afraid of is failure to try and that failure means nothing it's just another lesson to be learnt
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I suspect this is not all Tom. I bet the route played it’s part. It’s not the Instagram fantasy we are often led to believe. Some of it is truly poor show. Massive fair play to you both for getting beyond the scratch and finishing. I’m writing up my ride but not got past day 7 yet!
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

As ever, I am in awe. Can’t wait for part two :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Borderer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:43 pm As you know my Joe is 6 months or so older than Tom. We don't push things anywhere near as hard as you guys do - mostly as I want to try to keep him on board and he really isn't competitive at all, so big miles and fast times do nothing for him. It is vital that it is fun and enjoyable for him. But I am still losing him anyway - he just doesn't want to come with me any more, which makes me very sad.

I don't know why teenagers turn away from things that previously made them happy, but so many of them do. Getting him to come out on the bike at all now is a major negotiation - even though once he gets out there he does enjoy it - there is no hiding that he does.

It's a tough time alright. I hope you and Tom work it out somehow. I guess you must have because you made it to Indian Wells!

Nice write up. I enjoyed part 1. It doesn't seem late at all to me - I have still not finished writing up Cuba and we left there in May.
I think my lad is a little older (14 / Y10). Used to ride, bike, climb, canoe etc etc but has taken the same route of disinterest / reluctance / or just plain "no!". So we don't do much of anything anymore. Sad indeed but yes, maybe they'll circle back round and still have learnt / been exposed to some good stuff whilst they were keen.

Also makes me really appreciate the time and opportunities with number two though who's an absolute trooper :-bd
gallowayboy

Post by gallowayboy »

I've read quite a few of your posts RichPips, and some of your blogs and I can't get my head around what you two do together! My son's 17 and has been mountain biking for 7 years or so....From a rain-lashed trip through glen Sligachan, Esk Hause in the rain, Coire an't Sneachda in the sun to trail centres, antur stiniog at full throttle with me....he lives for it other activities have fallen by the wayside, and school / college is a struggle. But he rides with other folk now, folk his age, fast stylish riders, irreverent trail diggers, camping out at races etc. Left me behind with the long xc days, stove and bivvy bag. We still get the odd ride together and I feel privileged, love it.
But 100 mile days and multi day (multi,multi day!) Trips ...wow. that's something you both will never lose.
I'm looking forward to part two!
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

My boys are 28 and 30 years old now. We used to paddle kayaks on white water together when they were in their early teens. We had a blast and all enjoyed it very much. Then they got interested in other things and the paddling together fizzled out...

We still don't paddle together, as they live in different parts of the world now, but they recall those years of paddling with their dad with enormous fondness.

As a parent, I often massively underestimate the effect and influence we have on our children. They frequently surprise me when they remember stuff we did together when they were young, or stuff I used to do to make them laugh or entertain them that they do themselves now.

Even if you were never to ride together again Richpips, Tom will always have that experience and memory of the most amazing times he has shared with you. An immeasurable treasure that is truly priceless and cannot be taken away.

You are a lucky man and he is a lucky boy, and nothing can ever change that.

Si
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thanks for all your comments. It's been kinda tough getting a grip on our TD experience and your thoughts have helped me put matters into perspective.