Gt North Trail Relay: who's in?

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Gt North Trail Relay: who's in?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hopefully this might be appealing to someone or many of us.

The game is, to explore if (and I'm most probably correct) the Cycling UK is talking out if their earhole and its not really 98% offroad!.

So, everyone (who wants to play) takes a 70ish mile section along the route and rides it. Hopefully we can all be done by end of this month. After riding, we writeup on it and how much of the trail was offroad would be good too. Obviously bwfore that we mighy have a nice meal and a shower...

Who's in... I'll take one of the Peaks sections (and theres no harm in a section bwing ridden multiple times and we could compare notes... There's plenty of us up this end (middle earth/Yorkshire/etc) to complete it and write it adequately... hopefully there's plenty people in middle and up extreme north aswell!!

Just need to figure out how to divide the route up :-bd ... Open to opinions and suggestions. Seems a hood thing to ride and talk about :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Gt North Trail Relay: who's in?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In 'off-road' are you including the quiet lanes because I assume they are?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's not 98% off road, but they don't claim it is.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:26 pm In 'off-road' are you including the quiet lanes because I assume they are?
Aha... I see now. Its a play on words and their descript of OffRd is boring old little lanes and cycles paths. :shock: knew it sounded too good to be true :???:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It also includes "low traffic minor roads.", including some A roads (in Scotland at least). I thought that the goal of the project was to create an "off-road" LEJOG and that might still be going on but I expect it'll overlap with this a lot.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, the 98% is a bit of a headline grabber.
About 98% of the route is on existing off-road cycle routes, forest roads and low traffic minor roads.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:56 pm Yeah, the 98% is a bit of a headline grabber.
About 98% of the route is on existing off-road cycle routes, forest roads and low traffic minor roads.
Oh they do like to grab headlines I suppose... Seems at least the section from the start will be pretty pretty and a little gruelling.

Might see if I can find a cheap enough train ticket and see how it/I fare...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Peebles to Edinburgh is all doable, from there it looks to pick up the canal all the way to Glasgow, then The West Highland Way for a while.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Depending on the weather I'm thinking of riding Callander to JoG at the end of the month. This was to be on the GB duro route mind although they are pretty much the same....
Mike

Post by Mike »

A route entirely of road, on gravel or dirt although fun would take for ever to go that far surley u need some tarmac to brake up the bumps and make progress??