Straight Outta Door - Ride from home Trips.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Re: Straight Outta Door - Ride from home Trips.

Post by middleagedmadness »

As I am no longer classed by the constabulary as a "bit of a rogue" I have a aversion to skating on the very edge of the law Reg :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another advantage of setting out from home is that you can take advantage of changing weather conditions. It was minging yesterday morning so I sacked off a planned MTB ride. Clearing weather later resulted in me getting out the shiny road bike for a couple of hours.

This photo was taken just before reaching home.

RIP

Post by RIP »

I can just smell that crisp Highland air from here Colin ya lucky booger :smile: .

"bit of a rogue" - brilliant! I knew I was hanging around with the right people :smile: .

"Reg" - blimey, I finally warrant a capitalised name! The risk of Borderer's wagging punctuation finger is now too much for you :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Al

Post by Al »

I’m pretty lucky in this respect as we live on the Kerry ridgeway - had some cracking rides this summer riding out to the coast bivvying on the way then getting a train home.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Front door trip last night. Left at 6pm in the rain, turned around after about 5 min because I forgot my meths!

Nice muddy, dark and wet ride out, then home by 10am. Enjoyed it
Mart

Post by Mart »

did this last weekend, took the Friday and Monday off and got 400km in

Canal up to Nottingham,
pick up high peak trail to Wirksworth,Buxton
Over to Whaley Br and up to Marple
Head Sth on a railway line and canal to Congleton and Sandbach
Tour round near Chester and a castle
Return via Stoke and Rugeley to Burton

Weather was crap but we had some good laughs. The other don’t do Bivi’s so this was a luxury B&B trip, somehow felt like cheating
2924 miles per Gallon
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I live in Derby and can do routes from home easily. High Peak and Tissington Trails are nearby, Derby to Berwick route, [ennine Bridleway are all close. Linking up with Trans Pennines possible and some of the NCN6 back through Sherwood Forest give options for bigger loops. One spring after some late heavy snow i headed through Sherwood Forest and Lincoln, South along canals through Sleaford and Grantham and canals and rivers back to Derby. A bit flat but still snow on he low hills near home and it got me put. Similar routes can take me South into Leicestershire.

Although not a lot of mtb riding out of my door it is made up for with a maze of old railway lines, canals and bridleways to keep me off tarmac and make big loops if I want them. I sometimes use a train to get me the first hour or two away from the familiar bits I ride all the time.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Did some fettling on the Ragley Marley today. It's not been used since the Spring so just wanted to make sure everything was OK for the season it'll be getting used more. A post-fettling spin was in order to so I popped round a fairly "classic" route from Aviemore to Glenmore, Nethy Bridge and Boat of Garten. I did a couple of wee detours to investigate the state of the tracks round Loch Garten etc. This ride was a favourite of mine before I moved to Aviemore. Incredible to think it's a bog-standard local ride for me now :grin:

ImageDSC_0775 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 pm Did some fettling on the Ragley Marley today. It's not been used since the Spring so just wanted to make sure everything was OK for the season it'll be getting used more. A post-fettling spin was in order to so I popped round a fairly "classic" route from Aviemore to Glenmore, Nethy Bridge and Boat of Garten. I did a couple of wee detours to investigate the state of the tracks round Loch Garten etc. This ride was a favourite of mine before I moved to Aviemore. Incredible to think it's a bog-standard local ride for me now :grin:

ImageDSC_0775 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Picture brings back a few memories.

Do they still have the Osprey nests at the Boat of Garten ? Remember years ago camping at Glenmore and riding over there to try and see them.
Powered by crumpets.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, the Osprey Centre is still there and busy as ever. There are other ospreys around too, but they garner less attention (can be best that way).
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I'll post in here as missed July B. IA. M paramart will probably post the same ride in bivvy a month, anyhow set out in not so much torrential rain but the kind that's just relentless, seems to be a theme to all my trips this year :roll:, arranged to meet paramart in Albrighton a little parish in the middle of the 2 of us, when I got there we both decided it 2as time for a brew in one of the local pint shops, after the brew it was a very flooded and wet ride down to much Wenlock where the sun came out but was slightly bitter cold, from there it was a blast down the road to little Stretton, something was a miss as I was leaving mart on all the climbs which never happens once in Stretton he checked his front wheel which turned out the brake was binding, once sorted it was time for some lovely Ludlow gold and another fine meal at the ragleth, then up the hill where mart thought it was a good idea to fall on his arse in the middle of a quite deep Ford,. Then up we went to the usual spot a good night's kip and woke to a lovely but cold morning, down the hill and time for breakfast, then it was just a case of retracing our ride home, despite the weather another great couple of days out
2019-10-27_04-04-14.jpg
(78.31 KiB) Downloaded 2469 times
This mornings view
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep you can't beat that 'secret wood' view while you're having your morning wee (altho that's further on isn't it?). Ragleth oughta be giving you a discount by now Stu :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This was a straight toda door ride..

Wife dropped me off in Pitlochry on her way to Edinburgh and I rode back home. That would normally have been an excellent plan but the weather gods were in a teasing mood so I ended up with a headwind for about 3/4 of the 100km trip. On the bright side, I only had about 20 minutes of rain.

DSC_0788 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Headed out from the front door yesterday afternoon for the Eigiau cottage in Snowdonia where a mate was staying. Arrived at 7pm which meant I finally got to use my lights that IO got back in April.
Rode back to the front door this morning....

Image20191028_155918 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
Image20191028_181836 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
Image20191028_215252 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20191029_104139_244 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

A bit of repetition here - have posted this in the Bivvy a Month thread, so will keep it brief.
Headed out from home Sat mid-day in the rain to do a big loop in the south Peak. I got a bit of a soaking for the first couple of hours til it cleared up and got cold. Lots of floods and overflowing rivers. My GPS started playing up and it was dark so I cut back north again on the High Peak trail, and camped a bit north of Parsley Hay, short jaunt home on Sunday morning. 70 miles Saturday and 15 on Sunday. Couple of pics:
ImageOctober BaM - floods by Chris Farley, on Flickr

ImageDrying out and warming up at Hartington cafe. October BaM. by Chris Farley, on Flickr

ImageEvening sunshine by Chris Farley, on Flickr
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Minus 5C here this morning so I waited until it had warmed up a wee bit and headed up the mountain.

ImageP1060147 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060152 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

It's now that time of year when the fatbike tends to be the first choice.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks a reasonable amount of snow there Colin, hoping to find some lowland snow this weekend above 500m....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

LOL

ImageP1060150 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

That's the test snow from the big machine :lol:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's my film from my ride to the Eigiau cottage in Snowdonia a few weeks back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVGKvao904g
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

This morning's trip "straight outta door"

https://youtu.be/n_s0BSfLdeI
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Amazon is now sporting hydro brakes and a 2x11 speed drivetrain. Finally got it set up and bars taped yesterday so today was the shakedown ride. Despite the somewhat miserable forecast, I headed across Dava Moor to Logie Steading for lunch, then back via a couple of VeloViewer squares. And it didn't rain!

ImageTurning it up to 11 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Barely above freezing at any point today. It was a wee fatbike ride out to a Xmas Fayre and then an even shorter ride back.

It's POGIE TIME!!!

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Up into the frosty hills for me today
Alwasy nice to look down on Grangemouth from up here, knowing your not in it!

Better view the other way - Ben Lomond on the left, the Trossachs hills and the hills above Crianlarich in the middle and the hills above Loch Tay to the right
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Hosted a 'Boner at the weekend, he had been staying with his brother in law near Barcelona and they fancied a couple of days at our B&B exploring some local trails. A Saturday afternoon ride of 65km was a good leg loosener, taking in some trails used on the B2B trip. Sunday was a bit more overcast but no rain was forecast so we set off from the door on a 70km loop around the mountain range to the south of our valley. The views on the descent into the Ebro valley were lovely as was the coffee and cake halfway round the trip.
Shameless plug
https://casatomillo.wixsite.com/home
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Last night I had nothing on, a bit of an itch to scratch as my weekend plans had been thwarted by two accounts of daftness on my part, so just like that I decided to have a night out. This is the beauty of riding from the front door. Everything it to my schedule.

I took this opportunity to practice my spot picking from maps skills, OS map for general area, checking for being away from used roads and buildings that people could be walking between, then google maps satellite view for terrain. Settled on a field by the gliding club, put the stew in the oven, and started faff packing.

As I was only carrying the stuff a short distance I afforded myself a luxury sleeping set up and sacked off tools all together. Felt like a teenager preparing for a date as I continually changed outfit in a giddy frenzy. Checked the forecast multiple times, but should have simply stepped outside as it would have given more useful information. It was relatively warm, not raining, but incredibly wet. The moisture was hanging in the air.

Dinner was decanted into a thermos, straps were tightened, I was off. Now bikepacking is probably not on a list of extreme sports, sleeping is an integral part of it after all, but it does get my heart fluttering in such a way that no other exercise has. Anticipation of unknowns, the ultimate control of my destiny, that exploration instinct.

I whooped in reply to the chugging train as I made my way along the valley. This was spontaneous, even for me. I could not stop grinning at the emptiness ahead of me, there was nowhere else I would rather be, much better than the usual Wednesday. I did not want this to end. My mischievous side was pushing me to ride right through the night, smash some caffeine, then deal with the consequences as they came.

I reached the spot, checked over my shoulder, nobody was watching, I kept riding. This now felt proper cheeky. I was out past bedtime. It was a junction with a busy road that I recognised from the start of my trip to Brighton that the guilt caught up with me. I remembered how I was the day after that all-nighter. That was no state to go to work in. I resigned myself to responsibility.

Winter is often thought of as a hard time for bivis, but it definitely has positives. That bright sunlight does not disturb your sleep, the fear of unpleasant weather keeps other people inside, them nasty bugs are nowhere to be seen. That said, I struggled to leave the warmth of my sleeping bag so had to have a haphazard oats on the go. Has to be one of the harder things I have tried to eat while riding, the spoon was too much, so I just poured the viscous blob and tried to focus as it slowly made its way into my mouth.

Rode the loaded bike into work and set about the daily drudgery with a fresh bounce of vitality.