South Downs Way in Hurricane Hardtail

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

South Downs Way in Hurricane Hardtail

Post by Rasta »

I try to do the South Downs Way when there is a westerly storm blowing, but this weekend, hurricane hardtail came in which got a bit ott.
1st day was great, had a swim in the River Arun, in the rain. 2nd fastest tidal river in the UK = a good workout.
2nd day, today, I sat around/ hammocked for the whole morning, waiting for the wind direction to change. It didn't. But kept warm by practicing the hand drill. It's not bikepacking unless there is a fire. But no luck, too damp. That's two things I didn't complete. But still had a great time.
ImageOld Winchester Hill Fort Yews by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

ImageHand drill by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

I disturbed a hawk as I was riding through the woods, as it flew off it dropped a decapitated mouse next to me. I was going to eat it but the wind was too strong for cooking. Free food!

ImageChanctonbury Fort by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

The only place to hide out of the wind was on a very steep hill. Hammocks only!

PS. The free official bothy in Amberley is now sold and closed.
BobCatMax

Re: South Downs Way in Hurricane Hardtail

Post by BobCatMax »

I didn't realise there was a bothy in Amberley! What a shame..

Where do you normally bivvy? I'm thinking about getting out one night next week. Chanctonbury seemed the most suitable as it's half way on the way to work
Image Image
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Chanctonbury fort/ring has great views but gets very windy. The above photo was in the the forest further down hill on the north side.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

aah, ok. good to know..

it does get more than a little windy up there. It doesn't look like i'll be able to this week, but it's in the books for another time.
Image Image