Wild camping trough of bowland

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gazamattaz

Wild camping trough of bowland

Post by gazamattaz »

Hi all, im new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone knows any good spots? It'll be my first attempt at bike camping and this is fairly near to me so I'm looking for some advice. Thanks
whitestone

Re: Wild camping trough of bowland

Post by whitestone »

gazamattaz wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:27 pm Hi all, im new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone knows any good spots? It'll be my first attempt at bike camping and this is fairly near to me so I'm looking for some advice. Thanks
I'm assuming you don't mean the Trough itself since that's right by the road. There aren't that many bridleways in the area plus the estate(s) aren't that friendly bike wise so you are a bit limited. The best bet would be either somewhere along the Salter Fell road (actually a track) or around Dunsop Head/ Wisket Hill.

Use geograph.org.uk to try and find flatter areas that aren't covered in heather.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gazamattaz

Post by gazamattaz »

Ah right ok. I don't really know the area so thought I'd finally cycle there and then have a camp! I'll check out your recommendations. Thanks very much
gazamattaz

Post by gazamattaz »

It was actually the trough that someone had recommend to me? Looks like you can get off the road and fairly hidden?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

gazamattaz wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:30 pm It was actually the trough that someone had recommend to me? Looks like you can get off the road and fairly hidden?
Use Google streetview to "ride" through the Trough from Dunsop Bridge and you'll see that it's all fairly open near to the road plus there are quite a few farms and cottages along the way. You "might" be able to get behind a wall and bivy up. It's a few years since I've been through the Trough so not fresh in my memory.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

If you ride through the trough & out the other side to Gisburn Forest, you should be able to find somewhere around there. Try near the stones at the highest point of the route.

There's a group on Stalkbook that allows wild camping in a forest in the trough, but i think they ask for a 'contribution'..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
gazamattaz

Post by gazamattaz »

Oooh ok, very useful information thanks. I'll carry on researching and may get in touch with that group
gazamattaz

Post by gazamattaz »

When you say Stalkbrook is a group, to hat do you mean sorry
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Facebook group...
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
gazamattaz

Post by gazamattaz »