Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

JennRide 2019

Post by whitestone »

Some shots from the Jennride

A few riders on the ferry!

Great views over Coniston Water from above Parkamoor

Unfortunately I went OTB shortly after this, at 0mph!! A few nice bruises and a gear shifter no longer attached to the bike – the bolt had come undone. Cobbled something together with zip-ties and electrical tape then managed to sort it out at Torver.

Over to The Newfield Inn in Dunnerdale.

I didn’t want just to do the 70 miler and the above shot was taken at 3pm so way too early to start heading back. Equally I didn’t really fancy heading over to Wasdale so I compromised and went over Ulpha Fell but cut down by the trees to the left of my bike to Boot then picked up a BW in the valley floor that came out by The Woolpack. Then back on the actual route. I got back to the Newfield 3hrs after having been there.

I spent nearly two hours in the pub, ahem, rehydrating honest guv and having something to eat. Eventually set off up Walna Scar and got to the top just as the sun set.

I bivvied down the far side of the pass. My wife joined me about an hour later – she’d got to the pub about fifteen minutes after I’d left.

This morning was a much steadier ride back to Staveley with a leisurely breakfast in Ambleside.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richpips

Re: JennRide 2019

Post by Richpips »

Great pics Bob, and good to see You, Cath and a gazillion other 'boners. :-bd

I'll leave my write up here too if I may.

https://minipips.blogspot.com/2019/07/j ... -2019.html

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Rich Pips (and Little Pips) and Bob for them writeups. Thoroughly enjoyed and hopefully there'll be more....

I didnt know Jennride has pitstops :-bd ...

Adders... I also didn't know our Lakeland/Dales had adders... are they to be of concern over and if not which snakes might one encounter around these AofONB (including Bearbones county) that we need to be aware of *)...

The other days bite by something which has left my skin a bit sore even after a full week has got me thinking I need to take better care (it was only a ride towards the northerly Peaks but I'd normally have full length pants on for the very reasons of stinging legs post ride!)...

The reddenwd area seems to have all become tough like badly tanned leather!

*Reminder to self. Must get ticktool
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

*Reminder to self. Must get ticktool
[/quote]

I had 3 on me after the jennride, 2 nymphs and one slightly bigger. I find the ticktool's don't go small enough to remove nymphs and carefully use a pair of tweezers out of my mini swiss knife.
Bontyrider

Post by Bontyrider »

Thankyou Rich for a belter of a route although those last few climbs (pushes!) were tough for me, I felt much stronger at the finish than I
thought I would. I think my slow pace helped there ! Glad I was on the Orange this year , much more fun. Enjoyed a beautiful view at our camp spot at Wastwater .

It was great and also inspiring to chat to the legends that are Nick Craig, Rich & Mini Pips and Tom Hill. And... perfect weather too.

Cant wait for next year....... and trying to guess route ideas..... Long Sleddle and Nan Beild maybe? :)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mostly the same photos plus more words - https://bobwightman.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... -2019.html
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

"Once across I'm riding alongside Tony who's on an ebike and fairly shifting! He's only out for a short spin with his wife so after a couple of km he stops and waits for her".

yea, he was shifting to try and keep up with YOU ya mad bugger :lol: :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nice pics Bob and Rich :-bd

You're right about that first narrow descent, Bob - there was quite a queue when we got there :roll:

A few from me and JohnClimber's alternative JennPackRaftRide:

Sod the ferry :-bd

The other side of Windermere, though not as far up as planned due to a stiff headwind

Looking across to Coniston, safe in the knowledge we'll be going nowhere near Walna Scar :wink:

On Coniston Water I finally dared get the proper camera out of its double-drybag nest

After a burger and a pint in Coniston, we headed up to Tarn Hows to check out the island in the lake.

This sheep has somehow ended up on the island. It seemed a little surprised, but not overly concerned at our presence.

The island would be a great bivvy spot, but the midges had started to find us, and we knew they'd only get worse so we beat a hasty retreat, and bivvied by the trail just after Iron Keld.

John reminding me of Dom Joly in Trigger Happy TV: "HELLO! NAH, I'M ON A LAKE!"

In the morning we paddled back across Windermere to Ambleside

John showing how graceful packrafting can be :lol:

Beautiful calm morning on the water...

...views not bad either

Spot the sticker

Breakfast in Ambleside, and we were ready to do a bit of riding for a change

We came from over there.

A thoroughly chilled and enjoyable weekend, with good weather and company. Jennride is fast becoming one of my highlights of the year. Looking forward to next year already.