Fannichs, Fisherfield and Kintail

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Fannichs, Fisherfield and Kintail

Post by fatbikephil »

Just did a three day trip starting at Strathpeffer. I headed roughly due west to Loch Fannich, picked up an interesting trail over to Loch a Bhraoin, then followed this to the track end. Next up a rather 'variable' single track into the back of the Strath na Sealga - nadge core :mrgreen: Then it was through the wee burn that is Loch na Sealga and up the bump out of Larachantivore. Bivvied here then onwards down to Carnmore. I had a brief debate about which route to take out but thought 'f*** it, how bad can the bracken be on the postie path' - answer? no bad. The trail was ace and I rode (most) of the descent down to the footbridge. Thereafter large amounts of food and drink in Kinlochewe then the Coulin pass, a pint and scran at Loch Carron, the HT route over to Dornie, another pint and up Glen Ling.

I made it to the top of the climb for another high level bivvy but had a bizzare weather experience - wind drops, spins 180 degrees, goes to gale force (not quite) move tarp down hill to more sheltered spot, wind increases and nearly blows it flat, de-camp again, ride to Camban bothy at 4am, crash in bothy for 5 hours...

Out by Glen Affric and a bit of road bashing back to 'Peffer.

Pics:

From when Ieft the A832 at Lochluichart until I rejoined it at Kinlochewe was 53 miles continuous off road, 35 ish of which was single track. :-bd

Usual rambling tale on my blog....... https://philsbikepacking.blogspot.com/2 ... cking.html
sean_iow

Re: Fannichs, Fisherfield and Kintail

Post by sean_iow »

I enjoyed that, I read the full version on the blog. The weather seems to have improved since the group start :smile:

I wonder if all the bothy books on the HT route have entries by riders for May each year? I wrote in the Corrimony one :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice one Phil. If the weather had been fine during the HT I'd planned something similar but head back to Contin via Craig and Gleann Fhiodhaig. Still on my radar :grin: Interesting to see that the Loch an Nid track is tougher than some comments indicate. I've walked the lower part of the path down to Loch a Bhraoin and thought it looked fine for biking.

The Sgurr Ban slabs do get ridden, here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUNkYyv6LLk. I think there are a couple of steps near the bottom that need a bit of down-climbing. Most walk/climb up the slabs first to figure out the line as they are pretty wide and don't look like they've a lot of distinguishable features.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 am Nice one Phil. If the weather had been fine during the HT I'd planned something similar but head back to Contin via Craig and Gleann Fhiodhaig. Still on my radar :grin: Interesting to see that the Loch an Nid track is tougher than some comments indicate. I've walked the lower part of the path down to Loch a Bhraoin and thought it looked fine for biking.

The Sgurr Ban slabs do get ridden, here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUNkYyv6LLk. I think there are a couple of steps near the bottom that need a bit of down-climbing. Most walk/climb up the slabs first to figure out the line as they are pretty wide and don't look like they've a lot of distinguishable features.
That doesn't look too steep, must give it a shot next time I'm there :lol:
The Craig to Contin route was one of my bail out options - its a bit boggy apparently but goes OK