New Forest Gravel Ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

New Forest Gravel Ride

Post by dlovett »

At the weekend I joined up with the Dorest Grit and Gravel crew for some New Forest Gravel action. It was great fun and there is a lot more gravel down there than I realised. It’s a great ride and starts and finishes near the village of Burley, home to the New Forest Cider company, so another good reason to visit.

Strava link below.

Cheers
D

https://strava.app.link/yTDL7X39PX
Last edited by dlovett on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurensdad

Re: New Forest Gravel Ride

Post by Laurensdad »

It is a fab place to ride, you've barely scratched the surface. I hope you'll come back!
Happy to help out with routes/pub/tea shops if that helps anyone thinking of heading south. Not forgetting the proximity to the IOW too!
Cheers
Phil
@philg1971 Instagram
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Laurensdad wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:24 pm Happy to help out with routes/pub/tea shops if that helps anyone thinking of heading south.
If you could supply a loop from the Lymington ferry for me that would be good :smile: Or just some pointers as to where to ride. I'd come over and ride more but there a very few bridleways marked on the map so for me to create a route without local knowledge is a bit daunting as I don't know which tracks I can ride on.

No rush as I don't have time to ride these for a while yet. Shall we say an 70 to 80 mile loop? My ride to the ferry and back from home would then take it over the 100 :smile: I'd be on the ss mtb so off road bias please :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

This is the love child of your 3day ride along with some of the stuff I have ridden with the Dorset Grit and Gravel guys.
It stops at the Burley Cider Pantry which does really good food as well as brilliant cider. I've modded your route from Hythe to the A31, then its DGG till past Burley, then it's my own mash up and a reverse of your from Hythe back to to the hover at Southsea. It's not that hilly, so would be an easy day ride I would think.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30395041
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Laurensdad wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:24 pm It is a fab place to ride, you've barely scratched the surface. I hope you'll come back!
Happy to help out with routes/pub/tea shops if that helps anyone thinking of heading south. Not forgetting the proximity to the IOW too!
Cheers
Phil

Defo Phil it was a great ride. I've posted another ride i have planned below and would welcome your thoughts on any local improvements.

Cheers
d
Moff

Post by Moff »

Sean - I've cobbled something together below.
Got some of my fav bits of forest, so there maybe some cheeky!!
The km dropping into Sway I haven't ridden, but have done everything else on the SS.
Tried to keep it as road free as possible, the longest bit it through New Milton to get back down to the coast (oh and maybe back through Lym).

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36535423
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers chaps :-bd I'd better save up some pennies for the boat fare whilst the weathers still nice :smile:
Moff

Post by Moff »

Don't worry about the ferry cost, it'll be the price of a pint in Lymington that'll make you weep!!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Moff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:50 pm Don't worry about the ferry cost, it'll be the price of a pint in Lymington that'll make you weep!!
Lol :lol: I've been to the Master Builders in Bucklers Hard so I've been exposed to the New Forest ale pricing structure :grin:
faustus

Post by faustus »

I really enjoy riding in the new forest, even though none of it's remotely technical. Here's a route I did a couple of years ago that took in a lot of the designated off road trails (that are easy to follow), and went via a stop at the sea. Would be easy to start from Lymington and do it in a long day. Nice that they are lots of options for resupply/food/drink.

https://www.strava.com/activities/873811326