Tomorrows Ride...

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Tomorrows Ride...

Post by redefined_cycles »

I've often thought of opening this thread as the encouragement of them, 'but I've already said it so I will -GodWilling- do it' kinds of rides...

Hopefully it might help someone out to 'not being soft'....
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Tomorrows Ride (which I won't chicken out of)

I'll go first...

Tomorrows ride is one that I bought the tivkets for months ago £12 as opposed to standard prices of £110.
Plan is (its the 3 rd attmept with last 2 attempts being 'I gave up'affairs) to depart early and ride through the night. Taking in 4 well and truely graded climbs (10 to 20ish percents) and a total of 11500ish climbing. Mainly road and 225ish miles. To happy Landon. Train is booked for 1100 on tuesday morning which lands me a stonw throw away from home.

Reason why i needed to document in thus section is cos of the weather warnings being issued along the route (at least its only rain and not blowy and they're only yellow warnings :sad: ) as well as the fact that I've just about, fast tracked with lots of local honey and fresh water, recovered from a cold/chest infection.

Lets hope it all goes well (bismillah)...

:cry: :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Not tomorrow but Tuesday. Three days in the Scottish Borders riding from my door. I deserve this as I've been doggy sitting the stepdaughters dog who a hip replacement three weeks ago and I've been on almost constant doggy sitting duties since including sleeping on the living room floor as she's not allowed to go up stairs and she's never spent a night in a room by herself. Weather forecast looking good too but this is Scotland so that's likely to change, :-bd .
redefined_cycles

Ray Young wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:46 pm Not tomorrow but Tuesday. Three days in the Scottish Borders riding from my door. I deserve this as I've been doggy sitting the stepdaughters dog who a hip replacement three weeks ago and I've been on almost constant doggy sitting duties since including sleeping on the living room floor as she's not allowed to go up stairs and she's never spent a night in a room by herself. Weather forecast looking good too but this is Scotland so that's likely to change, :-bd .
Hope it goes well and stays dry for you Ray. Is it possible that the wet weather of the HT550 has finally arrived t9 middle England (and hence the yellow wet warnings)...
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ray Young wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:46 pm Not tomorrow but Tuesday. Three days in the Scottish Borders riding from my door.Weather forecast looking good too but this is Scotland so that's likely to change, :-bd .
Have fun Ray. If it all goes tits-up and you need rescued then let me know. Not doubting your abilities, just making myself available :wink:
I am driving up to the 'burgh on Thursday aft (with a van) btw if that helps.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Borderer wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:29 pm Have fun Ray. If it all goes tits-up and you need rescued then let me know. Not doubting your abilities, just making myself available :wink:
I am driving up to the 'burgh on Thursday aft (with a van) btw if that helps.
Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll be fine but then again, you never know.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Where are you heading to Ray?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

pushbikemike wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:00 am Where are you heading to Ray?
Not sure yet Mike, thinking Over Phawhope Tuesday then meander back over the top of Glentress and through The Pentlands. Going to look at bikehike tonight.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Nice one Ray. Enjoy.

I've got some time off in a couple off weeks. Jimmy and I are going to pootle round the lower loop of the HT550.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ray Young wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:06 pm
Not sure yet Mike, thinking Over Phawhope Tuesday then meander back over the top of Glentress and through The Pentlands. Going to look at bikehike tonight.
Keep an eye out Ray...
https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/2019 ... ffat-area/
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

^^^ I'll keep an eye out.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Ray Young wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:06 pm
I stay in Ettrickbridge now. I'll keep an eye out for you in the valley!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Mike didn't get as far as I wanted. Now by the stream below Fingland bothy for the night. It's a private locked bothy for those wondering why I'm not using it. The white thing you can see is an elasticated tyvec mattress protector for the incontinent. My wife was going to throw it out but asked if I could use it. Mat fits in great. Not really looking forward to having to use it for its proper use, hopefully that's a long way off.
https://flic.kr/p/2gcwEKZ
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Nice one Ray. Good to get out. I was looking at your new set up. Have you got suspension forks and a modified rack on the back? Looks good :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

pushbikemike wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:11 pm Nice one Ray. Good to get out. I was looking at your new set up. Have you got suspension forks and a modified rack on the back? Looks good :-bd
Sus forks yes. Wasn't looking to fit any but came across a pair of new Rockshox Judy's for £120 so couldn't resist. Adds weight but I'm well impressed with them for that price. The rack is a mini front rack bought from China for six quid. There's a post about it on general banter which for some reason my phone won't me link to. It's under the title of "Rear rack a retrograde step".
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Not sure quite where but I'll be out in the hills tomorrow
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Looks like I 'have' to head out tomoz as I've got a prototype bag to try out for a well known bikepacking company, not that I need an excuse!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
redefined_cycles

Managed to get myself a last minute ticket for this organised spotive type ride. Proceeds going to a human aid type thing (morw details from my mate Donald who's orgnaising it)...

BBQ post ride (chicken and meat I imagine as it'll be all halal catering type thing) so should be worth it (well it will be anyway but you know what I mean).

Me and my buddy doing the 100 miler option with 11000ish ft of climbing in Stu country/county. Starts at Riyadhar

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/elan-vel ... 1044651195

Road orientated and I imagije alot will be on Jennride but if you're not and you're local... :-bd
redefined_cycles

Hoping to go do a 30 miler on Sunday am... Starts from Scapegoat hill and follows the track of the Colne Valley Mountain bike Challenge which traverses loosely around the northerly Peaks...
:-bd
redefined_cycles

Hopefully with all being well, am gonna attempt my first Peaks200 again (for the second attempt with last being aborted at mile 30ish for heat exhaustion)... :-bd
redefined_cycles

Re: Tomorrows Ride...

If anyones interested in a nice relaxed ride which will also be raising funds for the Sue Ryder hospice...

Its gona be lovely and ita happening this sunday... Not much time remains for online registrations...

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/manorlan ... 3860119066

Hopefully might see some of you at the start line :-bd and it'll be thoroughly enjoyable
redefined_cycles

Been being a chicken for a while now. So today after going for a walk and my eye balls getting cold, I decided I needed to put a stop to it. Brought Stan in from where he lives and took out the water bladder from the freezer as well as brought downstairs the down jacket. I also popped the WC framebag in

Hopefully tomorrow I will pop out in he marvellous weather of recwnt and try not to die. Water bladder wrapped in down jacket. The tube (if I can find it) wrapped in some of the insulator material that Colin kindly sent for my shoes. Failing the finding of that I'll just have to use the stuff that I'd already cut and used in the shoes. No point the bladder not freezing but the tubing being rock ice.

I also popped the Chronicle up at the back and gonna do the same upfront. Obviously the mud guard won't fit any more. Plan is to go and explore and see if I can get to Wessenden Head. Bamboo longjohns, waterproof jacket and pants in bag, and if I gets too cold I'll have to remove the down jacket and use that. All works out and I can then give a linger ride a little attempt (obviously within 7 miles of 7 miles of wherever I'm at, at any given point). Will try not to hug or kiss anyone, nor say hello :smile:

Food... I'm gonna take mackerel sarnies in the hope they might warm me a little. 2 x thin merino socks (one being the Woolie Bollies) and the winter insoles. Wish I had some overshoes now but can always get them for the bigger attempt. A merino base with a 250gsm(ish) long sleeve jersey and a merino jacket on top...

Hands, the deep winter Rkapha gloves eith some liners. Eyes covered in happy (yellow tinted) specs. A buff which I'll try not to get frozen to my beard. The merino winter cap and some arm warmers. Colins (thanks again) Singletracks on top of the longjohns...

Here goes (well tomorrow)... When I awake at soke point. So long as I don't start crying at the first smack of wind...
redefined_cycles

Right, so after I was convinced to continue finishing the loft (glorified storage space) by the better half. She only then went and started decorating the daughters room. I'd told her that when the wallpaper was removed it's gonna bring down the walls with it and I need to do the loft.

Anyway, she knows better so off she goes, strips the wallpaper with said daughter and brings down patches of plaster. "You'll have to patch them up"... I know!!

This means that between the loft and the replastering (might aswell, it's old bonding coat that's flaking the whole house over) I've not managed a ride in sideways. That also means that the upcoming (almost an) Everesting ride at end of this month or early next, is gonna be painful.

That brings me to this lovely thread (after seeing Verena having posted in 'Todays Ride') and that I'm determined. Again, the better half wants to go to Scarbados tomorrow and I obviously have not a choice. One walls plastered and I've stood and admired it...

So, tomorrow... I ride (InshaAllah). Lets see!!!