HT550 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: HT550 2019

Post by fatbikephil »

Javi wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 pm Phil, just briefly talked to you before the start. Always looking for finishing back and having a banter but it'll be another time, hope you sort your knee problems.
Good to catch up again Javi, albeit briefly. Congrats on another great ride, hopefully see you next year, if not before
P
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Alan sent this round to entrants but a good read:- https://www.facebook.com/10000669417852 ... 550081528/
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

htrider wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:26 pm Alan sent this round to entrants but a good read:- https://www.facebook.com/10000669417852 ... 550081528/
That man deserves a standing ovation. What an amazing read and once again a bikepacker (sailor on any other day) saves a life. This time a 70 year old lady who possibly was hypothermic but rock hard. Well done to them both for putting race-mode on standby for a few hours and got her safe :-bd

Thanks HT ride for posting this (extra inspiration)... :-bd
redefined_cycles

Re: HT550 2019: anyone guess who said this?

" If you could give one piece of advice to any would-be HT group start riders, what would it be? "

"One piece of advice is not enough. 1st piece of advice is understand what resupply and accommodation is around. Having some warm food and a shelter can provide so much on a difficult ride like this. 2nd piece of advice is to pack for every weather condition. We had rain, wind, hail and glorious sunshine throughout the event - so waterproof clothing and sun cream are a must. 3rd piece of advice – get as much advice and information as you can. "
Oh and one last piece of advice – realise this is a challenge and expect to have to work very hard to finish, both physically and mentally. – I know you said one piece of advice but hey :-)"

Anyone (who's not seen already) able to guess who said this?? Sorry if its already been posted (amazing advice)
redefined_cycles

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... 9.html?m=1

You guessed it, tis Karl with Stu' interview. Thanks for that Stu (and Karl)..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:23 pm https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... 9.html?m=1

Excellent stuff - one piece of advice? don't start width slightly dodgy knees....
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:11 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:23 pm https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... 9.html?m=1

Excellent stuff - one piece of advice? don't start width slightly dodgy knees....
Have you checked your cleat positions. I had a similar issue recently and such things noy meant to happen to us/you lot.... Afyer lots of trial and elimination I finally realised that when I had swapped to new spd shoes I got my cleat position wrong... it was pribably wrong before anyway but my knees kinda accomodated and I managed for 100 milers and more without issue (just some slight foot/big toe bone pain)...

During my trial/error (and i already knew before that one legs fractionally longer than other) I realised my right foot is naturally rotated a bit more out from front... sorted that and brought axle perfectly underneath centre of front area big bone and.... voila. So far its sorted and just got my 230 miler to do on monday (pending my (man) flu is fully better)...

I can swnd the 2 vids I used if likes/needed
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:21 pm
htrider wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Have you checked your cleat positions. I had a similar issue recently and such things noy meant to happen to us/you lot.... Afyer lots of trial and elimination I finally realised that when I had swapped to new spd shoes I got my cleat position wrong... it was pribably wrong before anyway but my knees kinda accomodated and I managed for 100 milers and more without issue (just some slight foot/big toe bone pain)...

During my trial/error (and i already knew before that one legs fractionally longer than other) I realised my right foot is naturally rotated a bit more out from front... sorted that and brought axle perfectly underneath centre of front area big bone and.... voila. So far its sorted and just got my 230 miler to do on monday (pending my (man) flu is fully better)...

I can swnd the 2 vids I used if likes/needed
Aye been through all that thanks, pretty much sorted riding position wise although I've dropped the seat a wee bit from my previous standard which has helped immensely. Just need to do the exercises and the stretches....
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Nice one Sean. I met you and your wife the previous year at tyndrum and it was crystal clear how supportive she was (even describing in great detail your adventure table and how she puts up with it at home! I hope thats not meant to be a secret I've let out...) :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

journeyman wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:38 pm Nice one Sean. I met you and your wife the previous year at tyndrum and it was crystal clear how supportive she was (even describing in great detail your adventure table and how she puts up with it at home! I hope thats not meant to be a secret I've let out...) :-bd
The legendary "Adventure" table :grin: I've recently tidied it up and sorted the contents into some storage boxes but only because I wanted to organise the kit better to make it easier to find stuff. The table is a bit tidier but there are still some odds and ends on it. I've got the storage boxes stacked up in the dining room for easy access so she's still got a lot to put up with :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Great read Sean - so glad your wife got the all clear, that is great news. Been there and done that as you know!

Just thinking about Chicken Legs comment above about never racing the same route twice and wondering whether to take that advice (already do late as I've done 3 x Brauntons!) - there are so many things to ride out there, and realistically I can only do one big event each year.

The pull of doing things again is big - inspired by the great memories of the first event and the possibility of doing 'better' second time - but maybe I'd be better seeing more and different things...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ianpv wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:17 pm
Just thinking about Chicken Legs comment above about never racing the same route twice
I've been thinking about this as well and it might be the way for me from now on, apart from the Braunton which is only really a day ride so just like riding a favourite training loop :wink:

I'm also conscious that me getting a place on the group start means that someone else who might have finished didn't get a place, but this only really applies to the HT550 as that's the only number limited event?

I really like riding in new places and on trails I've never been on before so perhaps I should print off the list of events from self supported uk and work my way through them :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger