HT550 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

HT550 2019

Post by sean_iow »

The story of my HT550 is as much about my personal life as it is about bike riding. I've thought long and hard about whether to write this up but in the end I think there is enough about the bike side of the ride to make it worthwhile reading for those who are thinking about the ride. Apologies in advance for the non-bike side of the tale but it's not possible to recount the events without it as they are so interwound.

The year had gotten off to a good start with some good rides on the Dales Divide and B150 and so as the HT550 approached I was full of confidence that I could beat my previous time and get under the 5 days. I had even printed out the times that I reached various points last year so could see if I was ahead of schedule. A few weeks before the start my wife discovered a lump in her breast and after an initial biopsy they decided to remove it. Everything seemed to go into fast forward and before I knew it I was dropping her off on the Monday for the operation. I picked her up that evening and we talked about if I should go to the HT550 or not. She said she was fine and there was nothing I could do anyway so the next day after work I packed the car and first thing Wednesday caught the ferry and started the long drive north. I stopped in Kendal on the way up for the night and when I spoke to her I said I was quite prepared to just drive home again the next morning but she said I was just being silly and after all the effort I'd put in it would be a shame not to go. She wouldn't have any further results for a while.

I got to Tyndrum on the Thursday and soon met up with other riders and this took my mind off the other events. On Friday I went out for a ride down the WHW with Karl and TrepidExplorer and we had lunch at the Station cafe at Crainlarich. Back at the campsite we fettled bikes, made last minute kit choices, and packed food into bags ready. I also got to ride a fatbike for the first time thanks to AlasdairMc (more on him later) and was impressed with the traction but also the nimbleness of the ride.

All the riders met for the now traditional pre-ride beer and after I bought a takeaway pizza, half of which I wrapped in foil as food for the following day.

I was up early on the Saturday of the race and had soon eaten breakfast and packed up my hiker hut I'd stayed in and by 7:55 I was ready to head up to the Real Food Cafe. All that was left in the hut was my helmet and gloves. All I had to do was lock up and hand the key in at reception.... but where was the key? I looked around but it was nowhere to be seen! In a panic I started emptying stuff out of my car and searching through bags for it. Jane text to wish me luck and I replied that I'd lost the key to the hut and would miss the start looking for it. She called and told me to stop panicking. By 8:30 I still hadn't found it, I had looked in the pockets of the clothes I had on the day before, under the beds etc. I suddenly remembered I had put it in my wallet when I went out for dinner and it turns out I had put it back in there when I unlocked #-O I threw everything back in the car, dropped off the key and rode up to the cafe just in time for the group photo. I met Javi on the way and we rolled in the last two to arrive and just in time.

We all rode up to the start and I chatted other riders and wished friends good luck. Alan called out the names of his 'tips' for success who would line up at the front and I was somewhat shocked when he called my name. I knew I'd not be able to keep up on the flattish first sections so moved forward a bike length but declined the invitation of a front row spot.

A few words of encouragement were said by an ITTer who'd finished (sorry I've forgotten your name) and as soon as it was 09:00 we were off. The weather was ok, not sunny but dry. When we got to the steep drop before we went under the railway another rider overtook me and stopped at the bottom, I shouted at him to keep going but there was nowhere for him to go, I had visions of crashing into him but somehow he managed to move forward just enough for me to get my front wheel onto the flat. If you're reading apologies for my attitude, I really thought I was going to end up on top of you and both our rides would be over but I can see now that the panic looking for the hut key had left me in the wrong frame of mind.

As we rode on round Loch Lyon I was starting to relax and calm down. Nelson Trees passed me going the wrong way, he'd lost his tracker just after the start and was going back to look for it. I cleaned the little kick at the end of the lock with it's 15% ramp and as I had a higher gear than last year I was pleased with this. I also passed a few of the riders who had passed me on the flat before it, but they soon passed me again once we dropped down onto the road to Bridge of Balgie. I rode briefly with a rookey who remarked that he had too much kit on his bike compared to what other riders had started with. I reassured him that it was finishing with it that counted and that any fool could start with hardly any kit and scratch at Fort Augustus. At the cafe at Bridge of Balgie I was 30 minutes up on my time from the previous year despite the damp conditions.

It had been raining lightly for a while but it was still warm so I stuck with my windproof. Through Rannoch Forest I caught and was re-passed by Jenny Graham several times and her enthusiasm and sheer joy to be riding was evident. We chatted briefly about her round the world ride and I was chuffed to have got the chance to meet her :smile:

The bog down to the Ben Alder bothy was less rideable this year but I was still 30 minutes up on my previous time. Up the singletrack climb I think I actually rode more than the previous year and this was probably that I've now got more experience of riding on this type of terrain and also that we didn't have the oppressive heat we did last year, if only :roll: At the top I finally conceded that it was raining and stopped to put me 'waterproof' jacket on for the descent. After the descent and just before the road crossing I stopped again to put on my waterproof trousers and long finger gloves as by now I was getting very cold.

The change in route this year avoids the long road section on the A86 and I was soon climbing up the Corrieyairack Pass. By now it had been a while since I'd seen another rider, I was getting colder despite the climb and was not really enjoying it at all. All I could think of was that my wife might be seriously ill, it would be her birthday on the Tuesday and I would be riding in Scotland in the rain instead of at home with her. The more I thought about it the more stupid it seemed to be riding in these conditions and for what? To get round in under 5 days? Why did it matter how long it took, I'd finished the ride last year and that should be enough. The more I thought about it the more I realised how selfish I was for riding this while she was at home on her own. I had decided I would scratch at Fort Augustus and I could still get home for her birthday. I was caught by Steve (another singlespeeder) and almost as soon as he said hello I unloaded my troubles on to him and told him how I was going to scratch at Fort A. I made the descent to Fort A without crashing this year and rolled into the pizza place which was full of wet and muddy mountain bikers. I was there just after 8:00 so I was 35 minutes faster than last year. I sat opposite Alan G and told him I was thinking of scratching and why, he kindly said I should go home to my sick wife which I assume was to give me an easy way out if I wanted to quit. I had dinner and sent Jane a text to say I was thinking of scratching. She replied and said there was nothing I could do at home and not to quit just for her. I should only stop if I was too cold or wet or the rivers were too dangerous. Karl was sat next to me and he said he was aiming for Corrimony Bothy for the night. I said I'd do the same and sleep on any decision to scratch.

I finished my dinner and headed out again. As soon as I stepped outside to the pizza place I started shivering again but I figured I'd warm up on the climb up to the Great Glen Way. Just after of Invermortiston I caught two other singlespeeders, Steve from earlier and Ben. I asked what their plans were and they didn't really have one. I said I was aiming for the bothy, Karl had said to turn right just after the bridge. On my notes this was at mile 111. As we climbed up through the forest we passed several bridges which in my mind I thought were where the turn off was and mile 111 came and went with no sign of it. Closer examination of my garmin revealed that the bothy was after Loch ma stack (site of the famous haunted house) so we'd have to pick our way round the rocks in the dark. By now all three of us were getting really cold. The others kept checking their maps and began to question if this mythical bothy existed but I was confident it was there even if it didn't seem to be getting any closer. After what seemed like ages we made it past the Loch and then it was the muddy unrideable track, I'd ridden this section in the morning last year, at least this time I couldn't see how much more of it there was left. I had opened up a small gap over the other 2 but kept looking back to make sure they were still in sight so they didn't miss the turn. They asked what would happen if it was full, I said it wasn't possible to be full and even if there were so many riders there we all had to stand up it would be better than being outside in the cold and rain.

Just before 1am we crossed the bridge and turned off route for the bothy. When we arrived there were already 3 other bikes outside. We looked in the main room and 3 riders were asleep. The back room was full of furniture and logs but at that moment we didn't care and moved the stuff about to make room to lay down. I was so cold and shivering so much and my hands so weak that I struggled to open my front bag to get my kit out, I had to use both hands to open the buckle. Once inside I laid out my bivi bag only to see it was full of water :sad: It is a Borah Gear and although it is waterproof on the bottom the top is only water-resistant. With all the recent good weather I hadn't thought to pack it in a dry bag and the rain being forced through the stitching on the front bag had gone through the water-resistant top and was now inside. I didn't technically need a bivi for indoors but it would have kept the draft off. I blew up my mat which is a Klymit X Frame. There were some sections of polystyrene insulation in the room and I laid these down to supplement my mat and lift me off the cold stone floor. I said to the lads that I had to get out of my wet kit and apologized in advance for getting naked, they said we were way beyond caring about that :lol: I put on my base layer boxers and insulated jacket (which I had been saving as if it got wet I'd have no dry kit to sleep in)and laid out my Cumulus 150 quilt. I noticed that the lads were putting on long-johns, warm tops, hats, gloves and blowing up thick mats and getting out full sleeping bags with much better temp ratings than my quilt :sad: As I lay down I could hear a squeaking noise, at first I thought it was a mouse but then I released with a sinking feeling (figuratively and literally) that it was air leaking from my mat :sad: I lay there for hours shaking with the cold but I must have fell asleep at some point.

It was light early and I heard the 3 riders from the front room getting up, I found out later they were Karl, Lars and Steve Large. I looked at my phone and saw it was 5am. If I was still racing I would have got up too but by now I knew my race was over. I just didn't have the desire to continue. I lay there for another coupe of hours and at 7am the 3 of us got up. To our delight there was a fireplace in the main room so we lit the fire and spent a couple of hours drying out kit, although it mainly warmed it and made it damp rather than wet. We rode down to the cafe at Cannich campsite and there were already other riders there. I had already decided that I was scratching, to push on north with the kit I had was not an option even if I was motivated and I really wasn't. The night before I was on the limit of what I would want to endure. I don't mind being cold/wet/tired but there was no margin for error. If I had an issue with the bike or went under at a river crossing I would struggle to warm up again. I could only just keep warm enough if I was riding. Also, the further north I went the harder it would be to get back to Tyndrum, I couldn't motivate myself to keep going with the thought that I might reach a river I thought was too risky to cross and have to turn back anyway. All I really wanted was to get back home.

The other two felt the same so we started to see how we could get back to Tyndrum. They messaged their boss (Isla) but we couldn't really ask her to pick us up as she had a broken foot and a 2 hour drive in one of their vans wouldn't have been a good idea. We looked into riding to Inverness and getting train but they only take 2 bikes at a time so we would have to split up and get separate trains. This didn't appeal and after the previous night we decided we'd stick together. I said I could message AlasdairMc as he had to said to contact him if I needed help. The lads asked how well I knew him and I said I'd only met him on Thursday. I didn't have any contact details so sent him a friend request of Facebook. He immediately replied and asked how it was going. I asked where he was and he replied Durness. He said he had zero plans so could drive back down if needed. He'd be 3 hours if we could hang on. I broke the news to the other 2 that someone I hardly knew was driving 3 hours to rescue us and then it would be another 2 hours drive back to Tyndrum. All we had to do was sit in the warm cafe for 3 hours eating :grin: We were all blown away by this which I think is a demonstration of what it means to be part of the bikepacking community and also shows that despite all the bad news around these days that genuinely good people are still out there :smile: I text my scratch to Greg (who was very busy this year with scratches and twitter updates) and we waited for our rescue. We took turns to buy food and drinks at the cafe so as not to be just sat there but I don't think they minded. Loads of racers were in that day, buying food, warming up, drying kit in the tumble driers. I put a good tip in the jar.

When Alasdair arrived we crammed 3 bikes in his van along with his which was already in there and headed south. On the road between Fort William and Tyndrum we passed another rider who was riding back having scratched. We pulled over and checked he was riding back. Alasdair dropped us off in Tyndrum and immediately headed back up the road to rescue the rider. He also went out again the next day to rescue 3 more and again the next on another rescue mission. In between all this he found time to ride out on the start of the route and find Nelson Trees missing tracker :-bd

Back at Pinetrees campsite I managed to get a hiker hut for the night and offered the spare bed to Alasdair so he didn't have to sleep in his van which was the least I could do. I called Jane to say I was safe and back at the start. I said I'd drive back Monday but she said she already had plans for her Birthday on the Tuesday and I didn't need to rush back, but if came back Tuesday I could go with her to the hospital on Wednesday to get her results. She hadn't told me that she would be getting them as she didn't want me to pull out of the race. The good news is that the cells were pre-cancerous and they have removed them all so she should be fine :grin:

So what I have I learned from this?

My fitness was good, I was faster than last year and the climbs were ok even with the higher gearing.
My motivation wasn't as good as last year. I was aiming for a time and not a completion, plus the other things on my mind meant my head wasn't ever really in the race.
My kit choices were wrong. Back at my car I had a heavier duty waterproof, warmer mat, warmer sleeping bag and warm base layers I could have taken. I also had my seat pack so I could have (should have) changed my kit choices to suit the forecast. I was so focused on going fast that I had become obsessed with weight saving. On the Friday before the start in the sun of the campsite it was hard to imaging how bad it would be. I knew the weather could be bad as it's the Scottish Highlands but for some reason I refused to believe it. As I said in the cafe, my waterproof is great when you are carrying it as it's light and packs down small but not so good when you have to wear it in the rain :lol:

So that's the story of my HT550, not how I'd imagined it would be but all worked out well in the end. For the last few days I've been thinking 'what if I'd carried on' but I know that scratching was the right decision at the time. I just didn't want it bad enough to suffer and what I wanted more than another finish was to be at home with Jane.

I'll have to read this before future events and make sure I learn these lessons. If you're not 100% committed to it then you can't bluff your way round. They say these events are 90% mental and the rest is in your head. Even bad kit choices can be overcome if you are determined, I'm sure I could have got bin liners to make a gilet, marigolds to keep my hands warm, I might even have been able to get a mat (or fixed mine with my glueless puncture kit if i could get it dry) and buy some warmer clothes to sleep in. If the rain had stopped for just 30 minutes with a breeze I could have dried my bivi bag and then put it in a plastic bag to keep it dry. But without the motivation to finish none of these would have helped.

Well done to anyone who finishes this year, or even just for starting. After all the good weather (not counting the BB300) it was a wake-up call to have to ride in poor weather. To push on day after day in those conditions takes real spirit and guts.

Oh, I also learned that drinking in the Tyndrum Inn with other scratchers and new friends is far better fun than riding in the rain :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Re: HT550 2019

Post by redefined_cycles »

Ive been look8ng forward to this. As well as Slarge and Karl writeups... n9t gonna spoil it for myself and will enjoy with a cuppa (Pact) coffee after sundown...

Having just read the first few lines though, Sean, the ride isn't just about the ride is it... Its definitely all intertwined. Also, as a token gesture (and I've been thinking about this for a few days since your first entry post scratch), I have something for you that might be of benefit on the next ride or at some point :-bd

I think bt you going through the trouble of sharing your days with us, you've just tipped me over the edge... Just look at it as a Brucie bonus for having been such a loyal customer :lol: (no Stu, I dont have a trade shop secretly going on)... :lol:

PM incoming...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Thank you for putting all of that down in words. In the end, it seems like you made the right choice and, on the bright side, your early return to normality makes you the first to give us mortals a write-up of what was happening behind the dots.

I'd been thinking that the HT550 might have a "bad" one again. I wonder if that will impact what folk decide to carry next year.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Mate that's genuinely the best trip write up I've read on here. It sounds f**cking awful :lol:

Really glad you and Jane are both OK.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Great write up Sean, pleased to hear your wife got the all clear.
I raced an adventure race more years ago than I care to remember and enjoyed it so much went back the following year, completed it faster so it must be better right ? No, it was much better the first year and I have never raced a route twice since, don't get me wrong I love a race but shaving a few hours off doesn't do it for me.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
redefined_cycles

Well done and thanks for a great writeup as well as a glimpse of 'behind the scenes' and what was going on in the head. Sounds awful and amplifies what everyone (finishers and non finishers) went through... :-bd

Glad your missus is ok
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Thanks for sharing that brutally honest account of your ride - I think you definitely made the right decision in the circumstances. I remember having a wee chat with you along Loch Lyon last year and thinking "what a nice guy" - you've just confirmed my suspicion! :smile:
redefined_cycles

And AlaistairMc... if you're ever riding past these ways (West Yorkshire) more than welcome to pass mine for a breakkie and a freshly ground coffee. You really went well Above and Beyond for so many on this ride. Even if you just need someones garden to bivy/pitch up in :-bd
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Thanks for write up Sean. Amazing story and thanks for sharing. I doubt I would even start in those conditions and with that stuff going on. Think as well that we beat ourselves up too much when we do change plans, so sharing thise experiences helps everyone. Hope Jane recovers well

Well done AlaistairMc, thats the kind of support for others I aspire to, but rarely achieve.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Thanks all for your kind words. Right place, right time. I had a plan in my head to ride out to Cape Wrath via Sandwood Bay, but the non stop rain forecast on Sunday made me look to postpone by a day, and spend the time going around the tourist attractions of Durness.

By around 11am I was bored, so a trip back down the road was infinitely preferable, and I realised the boggy ground up there would be waterlogged so no point in returning for some time.

Having scratched more than once from the HT, I’m acutely aware how difficult it is to get back to civilisation, especially if there’s an injury or mechanical involved. I’m just glad I got folk back to Tyndrum easily and took away some of the stresses the return trip involved.

Regarding Nelson’s tracker, I took some comfort in the fact that the coordinates were absolutely spot on, right down to the metre. Google Maps showed the coordinates as being right in front of me when I’d stopped with the bike, and the tracker was by my front wheel. If we did come to harm, then an accurate ping would allow you to be found. Also, there’s absolutely bugger all to do in Tyndrum except eating, and drinking beer, so having a ‘mission’ made the time pass quicker while waiting for Jason to finish.

I’ve made some new friends on this trip, and hope that some day I actually ride my bike with them!
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Great write up, Sean. I hadn't realised what you had on your mind when we were chatting at the start line. Glad to hear she's got the all clear.

I've enjoyed relating to the words of fellow scratchers. I've not scratched before so it's a new experience for me. Trying to get my head around it. Thinking back to the few days before the start, I think I already had trepidations about it given the weather forecast, and realising how hard I had already pushed to finish in 2016 in the midst of great weather. You would think that having finished before would be an advantage, but in some ways knowing what lies ahead can mess with your mind. I think I psyched myself out thinking about tackling the northern loop and Fisherfield whilst already soaking wet and shivering.

The river crossing before road of 1000 puddles was an interesting surprise. Steve, Karl and I arrived there to find John and Clem watching the river. They had already searched upstream where it only got steeper and more rapid. We concluded it was too dangerous and started heading back towards the road when we spotted the river spreading out into a flood plain a few hundred meters down. It was still a bit sketchy, as there were narrow fast moving sections which were deep enough to pull you in. Clem saw John get pulled in and he was submerged, but managed to get out. Steve and I found a spot where it was possible to leap across. Damn - there went our excuse to scratch.

We were having a great time at Contin stores, amusing the shopkeeper with our strange habits, shaking with cold, shoving random foods down, trying to break the coffee machine, me rummaging through the bin looking for my ti spork which John accidentally binned... and most of all, Karl with a Scotland flag poncho tucked in his shorts. I was in bits over that. You might have seen the photo. The food and laughs lifted our spirits and I was definitely torn in my decision to scratch there as I saw Karl, Martyn, Steve and John carry on towards Oykel. But once Clem and I got the pub, I had accepted the situation. In the words Jenny posted on Facebook, I just didn't have the hunger to feel 'hurty' enough to keep going.

The scratchers party at the Tyndrum Inn was in full effect on Tuesday. Such good bantz with Steve, Alasdair, Sean, Isla, Alan, Lee, Crispin and a few others... chatting about 'sacrificial pants' and Sean and the Isla boys' creative use of a rusty tea kettle at Corrimony bothy (I'll let Sean explain :lol: ).

Similar to what Sean said, I focused too much on minimising weight. It's a false economy when the conditions are cold and wet. The added comfort of more layers and waterproofs could have made the difference for me. Though looking at Dusty's setup, it's possible to make it around with very little (if you're weathered by Alaska). It just didn't work for me. Maybe I just need one of Stu's 'Stop being soft' badges on my top tube!

Some photos here on teh Googles:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6z1sb996AMzcZPaV7
Last edited by larsmars on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Good words Sean.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A good tale there Sean and Lars, hadn't realised it was you I was chatting too about scratching in the pizza restaurant Sean! Glad all has worked out well. :-bd

Thats a good pic of the pizza place Lars, Steve is holding forth whilst we all listen and Alan looks very confused!

My words but its a lame one!https://philsbikepacking.blogspot.com/2 ... trail.html
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Great write up there Sean, the humanity of it all... good that everything is looking ok.

I had (still have if anybody wants it and thinks they can repair it :lol: ) a Klymit X-Lite (6ozs is appealing) but it went down on my 2018 BAM and that was January, February, and March, not pleasant and not much sleep. I had put patches on after every (cold) bivvy, but it sprung a leak in a different place even though it had stayed up at home when testing. I’m sure it was faulty material and Klymit I think would have replaced it but I couldn’t find the invoice :mrgreen:

I bought another one (cheaper this time at about £62) and so far it’s been good (though I took my Neo-air on subsequent bivvies. I keep rolling off the Neo-air but not off the Klymit :-bd )
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

To follow up on Sean's excellent write up (glad Jane's OK), I've made sure I remind myself what to do next year.

https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/201 ... ilure.html

It was a pleasure to meet: Sean, Karl, Alistair Mac, JT, Ben, Dusty, Nick Bubb, John (South African), John White, Cath W, Jenny, Alan, Sarah & her daughter. As usual, a joy to see Lee, Javi and Alan P again.

Most of what I want to say is in the blog post but these guys... well done everyone, for whatever you achieved this weekend. Mostly, you made it for me.

Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good tale - I saw that guy (and another bloke) setting up in Melgarve Bothy having arrived by pick up truck and they did strike me as the kind you don't want to share a bothy with...
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

*OF COURSE* they were in a pickup! Ooh our own little Scottish redneck. It's just like the Tour Divide.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Phil, was Melgarve bothy where you caught Lars and me up? (We were filling water bottles etc)

I thought that was someone's house!

I was thinking I wouldn't do a write up, as there wasn't much to tell that hasn't already been told, but I have a couple of thoughts I'll post later...
Mart

Post by Mart »

Just wanted to say that when I scratched I also got a text from AlaistairMc, and it completely blew me away
Given I was in Poolewe and it probably many hours driving, just shows how generous it was

I didn't need the offer in the end but it did show me just how amazing people are - THANK YOU
2924 miles per Gallon
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

slarge wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:27 am Phil, was Melgarve bothy where you caught Lars and me up? (We were filling water bottles etc)

I thought that was someone's house!

I was thinking I wouldn't do a write up, as there wasn't much to tell that hasn't already been told, but I have a couple of thoughts I'll post later...
Correct and seeing the pick up truck was why I stopped outside in the rain to snack rather than go into the bothy. Funnily enough a family who'd driven up to it was in their when I passed in 2017, they were quite cheery though.
TrepidExplorer wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:07 pm *OF COURSE* they were in a pickup! Ooh our own little Scottish redneck. It's just like the Tour Divide.
No guns....
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

no guns...
I daren't ask what was under Colin's kilt.

Nice festival idea Pete. Bimbling sounds safer after all that fizzy pop.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's nothing worn under MY kilt.

It's all in perfect working order!

:lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've enjoyed reading the other accounts as well, we all had incident packed rides for one reason or another. With hindsight I probably shouldn't have started but Jane and myself have put so much into it that it seemed a shame not to. I think of it as a team effort, I may be the one out riding but without her support I couldn't do it. When I get in from work on a January evening after a 4 hour ride on the way home, by the time I get out of the shower my wet kit has magically got from the kitchen floor to the washing machine and my dinner is ready on the table :grin:

With all the preparation and having the accommodation and ferry booked, plus the hectic nature of our daily lives there was never time to really think about what was happening.... until the ride. If there's one thing that's guaranteed on a ride of that length it's time to think and if you're not completely at ease with yourself and your life it can soon become an issue.

@htrider, I hadn't realised it was you at the pizza place, I usually only work out if I know someone from here if they are talking about something they've posted about and I remember reading it, good to meet you, albeit briefly.

When I had just left the tarmac and was riding up the track to the Corrieyairack Pass there was a pickup driving down, but there is a barrier at the bottom across the road so I assumed they were local/farmer/landowner and had a key, but I didn't actually check if the barrier was locked? They pulled over to one side for me to pass so I didn't have to stop riding as I was going up hill :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Hi Sean, good to see you up there. I had exactly same sleep combo as you: Cumulus 150 and Klymit 3/4 skeleton mattress. I knew I wouldn't warm up, even if stripped out of soaking clothes, on the cold floor of Hydro on night #1, so I quit at Cannich. After hearing about Alex's dangerous encounter with streams on the way to the Hydro, I'm really glad I quit when I did. It was still nice to be up there and see everyone and, of course, massive congratulations to the people who did keep riding for longer before quitting, (Liam and Jenny to name two), and even more appreciation to the finishers. :-bd
Javi

Post by Javi »

Oh Sean! Vey good news your wife is fine now. :-bd No chance to focus on the race with her problem going around in your head. Family first!
Thanks for letting us know. It's a very nice write up.
I felt I was very lucky again this year. That daunting stream on the way to Hydro bothy was non existent, or can't recall it, at the end of day 1.
Phil, just briefly talked to you before the start. Always looking for finishing back and having a banter but it'll be another time, hope you sort your knee problems.
Andrea, I found your blog short time ago in a google search for Braunton 150! Then as my mind sometimes fails more than I wish it took me some time to link faces, blogs, names, events...Good writing too, it sounds scary sharing a cave with a drunk bear.

And nice to briefly meet Alasdair, picking up everyone! :-bd :-bd