Anyone able to help Simon Warren

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Anyone able to help Simon Warren

Post by redefined_cycles »

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/routes/se ... ain-425069

In a nutshell he's trying to create UKs toughest (steepest I think he might mean) 100km loop. The report is of his time in the North Y Moors but seems he's open to suggestions... I imagine its all road he's talking of finding (or road bikeable and I'm sure he won't mind a brindleway here or there if it has meaning to join the roads... like we do to join up the trails with roads :smile: )..

Maybe someone might have a perfect suggestion...
In Reverse

Re: Anyone able to help Simon Warren

Post by In Reverse »

This had more climbing in a shorter distace and was all on road I think (it's an abridged version of this)

Don't know if it's "tougher" though - some of those NYM road climbs are savage.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Rather sadly, this part of mid-Wales has a very high number of stupidly steep / long road climbs ... but most roadies don't know it exists aside from the Devil's Staircase, which is actually quite tame compared to many.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:51 pm Rather sadly, this part of mid-Wales has a very high number of stupidly steep / long road climbs ... but most roadies don't know it exists aside from the Devil's Staircase, which is actually quite tame compared to many.
When I was going to do Devils Staircase... After a shift at work on night. I still remember seeing a mad person in a corsa or something come round the corner at like 50 or 60 whilst I had stopped in car to rest... It was long after that and near to DS that I threw in the towel of trying to comolete his (Simon Warren) 100 list... Went to Shropsire and did stuplidly steep Asterton Bank and Burway instead (which brought back memories of fear on top of the Long Mynd and thinking I'm gonna slip off :lol: on a road bike (although I will be coming in early July for a charity ride thats raising money for the Yemen crisis I believe and there'll be a lovely BBQ at the end (if anyone interested :-bd )...

That paragraph has become intermigled and doesnt make much sense but... I'll just leave it there :lol:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Something like this:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30105364

Still some distance to play with, but no way i'd want to ride it
redefined_cycles

Chew wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:48 pm Something like this:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30105364

Still some distance to play with, but no way i'd want to ride it
Hope you got Shibden wall and (maybe sadistically) Trooper Lane in therr Chew... If someone doesnt twitter link this to him then I will when I manage to fogure out how/get chance :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Looks like someone's looking for free magazine copy or book content. Whatever happened to the comics employing people to research and write such articles, victim of the everything for free on't titnernet I suppose. Wouldn't be that difficult to put something brutal together around here but then I'm not in the UK.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just remembered that I knocked this up sometime ago. Too long for what yer man wants but would certainly make a painful, yet enjoyable day out for those with the legs for it. :wink:

redefined_cycles

Pistonbroke: you mean them using the forums/people to help create their spread?? (Might not twitter it across after all??)

Stu, that route looks nausea and vomit inducing given the right conditions :o

Chew, your route looks tame compared to Stus... sp might give it a shot myself instead (when I'm feeling brave)...

:-bd
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:12 am Just remembered that I knocked this up sometime ago. Too long for what yer man wants but would certainly make a painful, yet enjoyable day out for those with the legs for it. :wink:

Out of interest... Have you got a link :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Out of interest... Have you got a link
I can send you a gpx file?
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:34 pm
Out of interest... Have you got a link
I can send you a gpx file?
Thanks Stu. Yes please... I might ride it as a private event or a group ride - :lol: (sorry... Just been catching up on 'Really') - after having assessed it against my knees and bike weight...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Warning: grumpy old twit rant.....

I don’t get all these super hard machismo routes. Surely you go up hills for views and then cracking descents followed by cake. It’s why I’d only Everest a hill if I accidentally left my wallet on it multiple times. I’m definitely getting old as I feel the joy is being sucked out of cycling by a need to super-achieve. I blame Strava.

ps. Devon will definitely do for Yorkshire but we keep it to ourselves down here.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye must be an age thing. And Strava. Rode up and down Snowdon once but can't now remember for the life of me why. Might have been a view at the top judging by the number of people up there who didn't seem to have bikes with them.

Never mind the super hard machismo sub-genre - just route, sorry Route, full-stop gets up my nose. The whole 'here's a Route I've knocked up' thing is totally out of control in my book. Should put all those people in the same room as the 'can someone send me a gpx please for X' crowd and lock the door on the love-in :wink: .

Now THAT is grumpy.

PS. I wouldn't just be having cake at the bottom I'd take some up there to scoff with the view as well.

PPS. Snowdon - I remember now: C2H5OH had been taken.
Last edited by RIP on Tue May 28, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't think you can blame Strava. Folk have been undertaking all sorts of extreme cycle challenges for a very long time :wink:

FWIW, sitting down withthe the mapping and trying to find a route myself seems much more fun than just asking other folk.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hang on a minute, I realise I've just insulted 'Routes's forum name! Sorry Colin :smile:

(pedantry corner: yes I know the 's' after the second apostrophe isn't 'correct' but it's weird without it).
Last edited by RIP on Tue May 28, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don’t get all these super hard machismo routes. Surely you go up hills for views and then cracking descents followed by cake. It’s why I’d only Everest a hill if I accidentally left my wallet on it multiple times. I’m definitely getting old as I feel the joy is being sucked out of cycling by a need to super-achieve. I blame Strava.
Oh yes. I've always considered everesting to indicate a lack of imagination* and Strava, well it's for people with small nobs innit?**

In my defence - the above route, does contain some lovely views, big grin inducing descents and cake options and is best suited to those well endowed :wink:

*no offence obviously.
**and once again
RIP

Post by RIP »

'no offence' (*)- you're not fooling any of us, or you're going soft Stu. Issue yourself with a couple of those new stickers immediately :grin: .

(*) see also: "I'll behave" :grin: . I'm getting a bit concerned for you, is there owt we can do to help? :grin: )

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

you're going soft Stu. Issue yourself with a couple of those new stickers immediately :grin: .
Give over, did you miss the bit where I managed to insult a great swathe of the cycling population in a single post? :wink: