My first multi day bike packing trip

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GirlBikeVan

My first multi day bike packing trip

Post by GirlBikeVan »

Hey all,

Monday morning i'll be embarking on my first multi day bike packing trip...On me tod! :o

Fascinated with the idea of adventure from the doorstep i've plotted a 4 day, 300k route from Leeds, taking in Appletreewick, Gisburn, Askrigg and many meandering quiet roads and bridleways in between. Aptly named the GBV300 :-bd

More than a little nervous...Weather looks a bit showery (and cold at night) and i've decided to only pack a tarp instead of my tent. I'll have the option of a bothy on one of the nights and considering i've never stayed in one it'll be quite an adventure.

At roughly 50 miles a day the effort needed will also be new to me. I believe i'm more than fit enough though.

To make it a little easier i'm dropping in at friends houses along the way to say hi. Guess you could call that my safety net.

Got all the right kit including a titanium mug and mini brew kit for morning coffee. Even have a pillow! My mat is an Exped UL9 so that should keep me warm.

Would be nice to share my journey with like minded people. I'd call this a beginner to multi day trips bike packing route with plenty of civilisation (aka village cafes and pubs!)

If you see a girl on a rigid Trek Stache with Alpkit all over it say hi. :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: My first multi day bike packing trip

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure you'll be fine and have a great time Sandra - don't over think stuff and stay flexible. It might not go quite according to plan but that doesn't mean it's gone wrong :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:49 pm I'm sure you'll be fine and have a great time Sandra - don't over think stuff and stay flexible. It might not go quite according to plan but that doesn't mean it's gone wrong :-bd
Good advice, thanks.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Don't think I've ever had a trip go to plan ,not sure I'd know what to do if I did ,all the best and when it goes wrong remember it adds to the stories later :-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Yeah, don't take a stove, pot and gas canister and then leave the bag of food and coffee on the kitchen table and then discover that fact the first night when you're nowhere near a supply point. :oops:
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:04 pm Yeah, don't take a stove, pot and gas canister and then leave the bag of food and coffee on the kitchen table and then discover that fact the first night when you're nowhere near a supply point. :oops:
I'll be sure not to do that...Although grass is nutritious! :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Have fun. Sounds like a lovely trip :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

FLV wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:01 pm Have fun. Sounds like a lovely trip :-bd
+1 to this
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm actually not sure if I've had a trip not go to plan

That's largely because the plan is generally so loose that most events would fit broadly within the plan. Thankfully I've not had to call out MRT, that would surely be not on plan. Route changes, minor crashes, sketchy crossings/descents, difficult sections - If I'm having fun then I'm on plan
middleagedmadness

Winter Bivi ,Ben ,I think walking down Minton batch is definitely not what you imagined you'd be doing that morning =)) =)) :wink:
Last edited by middleagedmadness on Thu May 23, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

middleagedmadness wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pm Winter Bivi ,Ben ,I think walking Ng down Minton batch is definitely not what you imagined you'd be doing that morning =)) =)) :wink:
Oh yeah, good point actually :grin:

I also had two slow crashes on ice on the top of the Mynd before Minton Batch, that also wasn't part of the plan!

But the plan for the weekend was 'broadly' to have fun, and that was definitely had :-bd . Partly thanks to other amusing ice-based incidents. It would have been nice to ride the descent though, having cycled up the blooming hill! :lol:
middleagedmadness

It certainly was a good weekend ,looking forward to this year's wherever it maybe :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm rather jealous! Sounds like a great trip!
RIP

Post by RIP »

It was - one of the best. Look out for adverts for the coming Winter Bivi (only 6 months away, MaM knows I get a bit premature ( as with so many things ) ) in all fashionable colour supplements...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

RIP wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 pm It was - one of the best. Look out for adverts for the coming Winter Bivi (only 6 months away, MaM knows I get a bit premature ( as with so many things ) ) in all fashionable colour supplements...
Same time , same place but maybe we actually get to do a full ride this year :lol: ,anyhows what's happened to G.B.V ,where's the stories ,there has to be some for her first trip :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Same time, same place? Well I don't see why not! That boozer in Bridges will need to sharpen its act up though if they want our custom again. GBV? Who's that then, I'm bein' a bit fick 'ere? "Geriatric Bike Veteran"? - could be me.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

middleagedmadness

RIP wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:55 pm Same time, same place? Well I don't see why not! That boozer in Bridges will need to sharpen its act up though if they want our custom again. GBV? Who's that then, I'm bein' a bit fick 'ere? "Geriatric Bike Veteran"? - could be me.
See opening post reg and user name, we got a bit off topic(as per usual :wink: ) just trying to bring back on topic and genuinely interested to hear the stories
RIP

Post by RIP »

#-O X_X . What naughty boys we are. Sorry GB - well, treat this as an invitation to our Winter Bivi :smile: .

GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

Hey all,

The trip didn't go to plan! However it evolved into something I could manage to complete.

3 days, one horrendous bivi in the rain and one night at a friend's

All in all 245k. The hardest thing I've ever done.

Not sure how to post links on here but if you search gbv245 on YouTube I put a video together.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80vPQC68qb0

Sorry, it's 8 minutes long and a tad honest.

GirlBikeVan is my brand and username. I set up an MTB club for women a couple of years ago. Proud to be on the Cycling UK 100 women in cycling list for 2018.

The club is dormant for now as I've changed job (posty) and only have Sunday's off. I've chosen to use them to explore my riding more :)
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Do I feel a failure? Absolutely not" :-bd

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

And "This is a holiday not a race" is good advice :-bd I'll have to remember that.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And "This is a holiday not a race" is good advice :-bd I'll have to remember that.
Just not while you're racing eh :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

" I'll have to remember that" - but not take a blind bit of notice :lol: . Am in awe of your race/event achievements Sean.

(edit: snap, Stu)

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I do like a non-racing ride, I just forget to go on them :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
middleagedmadness

Good woman :-bd (especially in the pint shop ,no need for food when Guinness is available) we told you there would be stories and good memories no matter what :-bd