Capital Trail

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Capital Trail

Post by whitestone »

While most partook of the WRT and a few brave souls the Cairngorms Loop, Cath and I headed to Peebles to see how much of the Capital Trail we could manage in a couple of days' steady riding.

Unlike easter it was going to be a bit nippy so full winter bivvy kit was in order.

Broom! Broom! Shake the Broom!

Heading out of Peebles was mostly shortish drags of hills with the occasional bit of forest to negotiate.

Then we got to the Pentlands. We've never been riding here before so ...

This doesn't look too bad. The camera never lies? Right! This was effing steep! We both walked from about this point.

Higher up it was much easier

Finally payback with a great descent down to an RSPB reserve where we were going to bivy for the night. Having never been to the area before and with Edinburgh not too far further along the trail we weren't sure if there'd be any suitable bivy spots.

In the morning we had a ride through the Pentlands to get to Edinburgh

Edinburgh was a mixture of roads and secret connecting ginnels to get out to the coast. At some point on this one she banged the rear rim and the tubeless tyre just wouldn't hold air. We eventually put a tube in it.

A late brekkie by Portabello Beach

Lots of faffing about to get to the Lammermuirs. The route seems to want to make a circuit of them before deciding on the route through them.

You see them hills? Can we get to them please?

A big climb to get up to the top

Various tracks in and out of steep sided valleys before the last one down to Bunnie's Bothy (locked) which was just on 100km so far for the day.

A lovely valley led out from the bothy down to the main road.

We were a bit ahead of schedule so decided to skip our intended bivy spot (both had been used earlier in the year by Mike and Nick - I did a bit of Strava detective work to work out their stops :wink: ) so decided to head on to Melrose and find a chippy.

No chippy so it was the Co-op. It was getting pretty cold now and there was about an hour of daylight left so we figured we'd bivy by the river. Suitable spot found we bedded down for the night.

In the morning we were away by 6am and the first 5km had 250m of climbing! Certainly warmed us up. Unfortunately the day got colder and by the time we'd dropped down to Selkirk we were chilled and it had started raining. There was only one place open serving food so brekkie taken before heading out in the mirk.

At least the next bit got us warmed up, a big climb up through woods before a traverse led to another climb up to the Three Brethren.

See those spots? Them's snowflakes them is.

The next bit follows the Southern Upland way and is great ridge riding but we'd got a strong wind with more snow

Yep, more snow

By the time we got to Innerleithin we were chilled and short of time so decided to skip the loop over Minch Moor and headed back along the valley bottom to Peebles getting back just 48hrs after leaving. Did a total of 227km.

Everything was just about as dry as it could be, there are some long sections that wouldn't be fun after a spell of rain. Some great riding. We were both on rigid hardtails but apart from the Glentress and Innerleithin sections that use the trail centre network it's more than doable on a gravel bike.

We certainly didn't have the blizzards that seemed to affect the Cairngorms but today was pretty nasty all the same.

Two bivvies done to get our 5/5 as well :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Re: Capital Trail

Post by padonbike »

Good ride by you and Cath, Bob. So what's the score with the bothy? I've never passed by, but was under the impression it was always open. If it's locked, then surely it's really just another estate hut and not really a bothy. :???:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

padonbike wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:02 pm Good ride by you and Cath, Bob. So what's the score with the bothy? I've never passed by, but was under the impression it was always open. If it's locked, then surely it's really just another estate hut and not really a bothy. :???:
Not sure. To me it doesn't look like a bothy, more like a posh garden summer house transplanted to the hills. Glass door plus large windows, table and chairs inside along with a well maintained and clean solid fuel stove. You could kip under the porch which is as big as the internal room.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

The bothy has a plaque near the door giving its name " Bunnies Bothy" and the date it was built. I've used it about six times but not for a couple of years. I've heard it's been getting locked lately but I noticed that some of the times I've used it in the past stones have been jammed under the door so a huge push is needed to open it so maybe people haven't been pushing the door hard enough. It is of course possible that it is actually being locked now and I can only think that the popularity of the Capital Trail has led to this. I have tried researching the bothy on the internet but haven't been able to find much information.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Just found a comment by Markus Stitz the author of The Capital Trail on Facebook. Bunnies is definitely being locked now as apparently the less enlightened were leaving it in a mess, :sad: .
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ray Young wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:53 am Just found a comment by Markus Stitz the author of The Capital Trail on Facebook. Bunnies is definitely being locked now as apparently the less enlightened were leaving it in a mess, :sad: .
I was just thinking that the door didn't feel jammed at the bottom in the way that say an ill fitting door and frame do so was unlikely to be stones but the resistance was at the lock.

Edit: The route just after you cross the main road just after the RBS building is now slightly different. The tram depot has been built/extended since the 2017 GPX file was done. You now continue to the roundabout then cut back left towards the airport security fence and rejoin the route where there's a sign for a farm track. No material difference in time or distance really.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

There is a chippy in Melrose. It is tucked away down a side alley so it's fairly easy to miss. It has a wonderfully mis-spelled name - The Abby. It does good food though.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=lcl&e ... 110!4f13.1