Sothhampton to Exeter

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Sothhampton to Exeter

Post by lune ranger »

PART 1: PROLOGUE
Currently sitting on a train looking out at a dreary day. Rain and gusty wind though not too cold for February, must be close to 10degC.
My excitement about putting my new Fargo to the test is outweighing my negativity about stepping out into the dark day.
MetCheck says the worst of the rain will hit soon after I get off the train at Ashurst on the edge of the New Forest.
Today's modest goal is to cut across the New Forest, find NCN route 2 and follow that into Poole. Cross the harbour on the Sandbanks ferry and find a bivi spot.
I had in mind to sleep up on the headlands by Old Harry Rocks but the sensible option just nowis looking like the heath behind Studland.
I was puking yesterday but felt ok by bedtime, hope that doesn't affect me today....
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Re: Sothhampton to Exeter

Post by Dave Barter »

I bivied next to the huts on Studland bay. A really quiet and sheltered spot as long as you get up before the dog walkers...and nudists.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I had a sudden panic then but I've checked and the Sandbanks ferry is running again, it was out of service for weeks due to a breakdown. It looks like the last one from Poole is 19:00 but you should be there well before that.

I've had a nose about before in the area on the west of the road up from the Toll and there's spots there where a bivi would be possible. I've also ridden on Godlingston Heath a few times and there is plenty of opportunity for a bivi there.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Well, it's absolutely 'orrible here, about 15 miles west of your finish today. It reminds me of a certain BB300 not so long ago... :shock:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Indeedy.
20km in and already taking shelter next to a roaring fire!
Just fixed a 15mm slit in my brand new Nobby Nic. Found my anchovy things were turned to anchovy paste. Squirted some superglue in and made a ham fisted attempt to sew it up. Appears to be holding up
WSC
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Forecast is horrible. If you get stuck for any reason Sidmouth area feel free to contact me.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

STAGE 1 ASHURST- STUDLAND
All tucked into my quilt and waiting for some water to boil for some yummy freeze dried bolognese.
For a lowland trip the weather has been pretty interesting. Definite shades of BB200 last year. Wet and windy with some swollen rivers as well.
The run through the New Forest was nice minus the puncture. It was over all too soon though and some urban shenanigans followed onRoute 2 to the coast. There would have then been a lovely run along Bournemouth and Poole beaches to Sandbanks. I say would have been because today I was headlong into the teeth of a punishing sou'wester with rain stinging my face.
I hunched behind the toll hut waiting for the Sandbanks ferry to take me over the water to Studland.
Rolling off the ferry 200m over the water was like another land. The wind though still blowing was tamed and a watery sunlight was shining in my face as I wound up onto the heathland behind the bay. A couple of sizeable deer crossed the track ahead of me as I scouted out a place to pitch my Gatewood shelter for the night.
Sleep soon, but first I have a date with a freeze dried meal...
WSC