Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by Borderer »

Alan63 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:48 am Thanks for posting Borderer. Looks a great place. I'll let Fraser see your report. Think we'll be heading there soon...once the water levels go down.
I know it's been raining a fair bit this week, but I don't think it would be a problem. The water level for the crossing to the bothy was very low when we were there and would be pretty manageable if it was a bit higher yet.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Nice blog post, Borderer. Some magical light in those photos!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

July and August done last night
To clarify.... One night out doesn't cover two months.
Colin is correct, 1 night doesn't cover 2 months but you can cover 2 months on a single trip. Eg, if you slept out last night that would be July sorted, stay out tonight and that would count as August - 2 nights on a single trip at the end / start of the month.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Landslide wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:05 pm Nice blog post, Borderer. Some magical light in those photos!
Thank you :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Maybe Rule 2 needs the following clarification..
2/ A single trip taking in both the last night of one month and the first night of the next, will count as two months if you wish.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps Colin, although I did think it was fairly clear.

2/ A single trip taking in both the last night of one month and the first of the next, will count as two months if you wish.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The confusion may be how we think of the first and last nights of the month?

The last night of the month is the night that starts on the last day of the month if you go to bed before 12pm? But when is the first night of the month? If you normally go to bed after midnight and wake up on the morning of the first of the month then did you to bed on the first night of the month? :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hey, I can explain it again and again but I can't understand it for people :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:13 pm The confusion may be how we think of the first and last nights of the month?

The last night of the month is the night that starts on the last day of the month if you go to bed before 12pm? But when is the first night of the month? If you normally go to bed after midnight and wake up on the morning of the first of the month then did you to bed on the first night of the month? :wink:
To add another angle... the muzlamic (the term being a reference to a youtube video of one of the Tommy Rob supporters who appeared to not be very clever) one... in the Islamic calender the night comes before the day :lol: so tonight would for example be friday night...

Anyway. Thanks Stu (is it "the eagle has spoken"..
Or landed or summat like that) and thanks Colin before that. I'll have to heave myself out once again
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Well thats BaM over for this time, having to go for more X-rays and Mri scan to see if I have damaged shoulder and bicep muscles ( had major surgery on them 4 years ago), I was going to rewrite my July bivvy as the wife typed it up previous (rubbish)but hey ho it is what it is.....
Happy camping guys n gals, Hopefully not to long a wait before back out again.
Image2019-07-30_06-43-48 by Gary Adamson, on Flickr
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Sorry to hear it gazaddy, but if you cycled to the hospital and stayed overnight and it was an NHS one then maybe it counts..... :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:31 pm...in the Islamic calender the night comes before the day...
Does Islam have an equivalent ruling on chickens and eggs? That could clear a lot of things up...
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:11 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:31 pm...in the Islamic calender the night comes before the day...
Does Islam have an equivalent ruling on chickens and eggs? That could clear a lot of things up...
:smile: nah... Just that Allah created everything. So regardless whether the chicken or egg camw first, it's all creation of Allah :-bd
redefined_cycles

gazaddy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:56 pm Well thats BaM over for this time, having to go for more X-rays and Mri scan to see if I have damaged shoulder and bicep muscles ( had major surgery on them 4 years ago), I was going to rewrite my July bivvy as the wife typed it up previous (rubbish)but hey ho it is what it is.....
Happy camping guys n gals, Hopefully not to long a wait before back out again.
Image2019-07-30_06-43-48 by Gary Adamson, on Flickr
Get well soon fella... Keep potivie and that cup half full...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Landslide wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:35 am Until I was rudely awakened by the revving engine, aftermarket exhaust, and overactive dump valve of the local Fast and Furious fan club. They pulled into the car park, but seemed happy to stay in the car for a bit, before roaring back off into the night.
Oh, sozza about that :lol:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

If your car's really loud enough to disturb me all the way from Suffolk, I think there may be bigger issues in play.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

8/8 for 2019 - 40/40

Left work at 5.30pm on Friday and headed to meet with Alec from around these parts an hour later.
15 mins of faffing saw us on the water at 6.45pm

We paddled over Pontcysyllte Aqueduct northbound (against the flow, the strength of which on a canal was very surprising), we turned and headed south back to where the car was parked and we had to get out to avoid a very low bridge that we couldn't limbo underneath, it was here that I loaded up my single speed folding bike.

We still had a couple of hours daylight left and the flow was with us as we headed towards Chirk

One of the only problems with pack rafts is that whenever you stop paddling they spin around to face the way they came from, luckily this helped see the sunset easier

There are a couple of long tunnels, including this 421m Chirk Tunnel.

It was after this point that Alec left and I carried on south to look for a place to bed down for the night, I got out of the pack raft and loaded it on to the bike.

After a few miles and limited spots I bedded down here

I only saw one late night walker from my bed and was up with a 5.30am alarm to catch the sunrise (and get home in good time)

I cycled the hour back over the border into Wales and through the 2 tunnels.

Over the Aqueduct and another mile along the canal, where I got back on the water again to paddle back to the car

Back on the water

On the Aqueduct again and 5 mins later I was in the car and on the way home
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well impressed you paddled the aqueduct John - it's scary enough on a barge!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

August done for me too, though not in the magnificent style of JohnClimber. The best view I had last night was the inside of my eyelids. I stuffed my hammock and quilt into a dry bag, my tarp, guys and pegs in a backpack and rode about 2 miles up to a local wood. I had left it late to see the kids into bed, so it was close to 11pm by the time I climbed into bed. Apart from a muntjac barking its head off a few times it was a lovely warm evening (really didnt need the tarp or the underquilt) and I slept the sleep of the righteous. Woke just after 5am and was packed and home 40 minutes later.

That's 8/8 for me and the one and only chance I had for an August bivvy as the kids and I are off to Colorado on Friday to stay with my mate Scott near Evergreen. There will be fishing, shooting, white water rafting, horse riding, hiking, buffalo watching, mesa climbing and a whole of of car camping. No bikepacking, but beer will be drunk while the sun goes down. Can't wait.

I'm just going outside ...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Blimey John, that aqueduct looks sketchy as hell!
gallowayboy

Post by gallowayboy »

@johnclimber - I don't know anything about aqueduct protocol (if it exists) but what on earth do you do if you meet a bigger boat going the other way?
Great looking trip!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

gallowayboy wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:31 am @johnclimber - I don't know anything about aqueduct protocol (if it exists) but what on earth do you do if you meet a bigger boat going the other way?
Great looking trip!
I imagine you get out onto the path very quickly!
Alec

Post by Alec »

I found that the aquaduct is actually less scary in a packraft as its lower to the side than a canal boat so its quite difficult to see over. As long as you are on it first I think you have right of way, as you only enter if the exit is clear. Was a great trip and most of the canal boats had already moored for the night.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

A late post for July's BaM. 7 out of 7
Friday evening saw me setting off for an intended 4 hours riding to do a loop that brought me to a bivvy spot not far from home. Saturday morning we were heading off to Wales so I needed to be back earlyish. Good intentions soon faded as I hit the first decent climb and realised I was well and truly knackered. A stressful week at work and some late nights had taken their toll :sad: . So a revised plan was hatched which meant an hour of steady riding to get to Fernilee reservoir and a bivvy spot found on the stony 'beach' formed by the low water levels (this was the weekend before the heavy storms - I think the beach will be gone now, Fernilee is one of the reservoirs near Whaley Bridge, not the one that was damaged though).

ImageJuly BaM by Chris Farley, on Flickr

I got the tent up, brew on and midge repellant applied.

ImageJuly BaM by Chris Farley, on Flickr

There followed a chilled out evening eating, drinking and reading. It turned out the stony beach was a really uncomfortable pitch and I didnt sleep well! Early start with a brew and porridge and home for a second breakfast.

August is going to be tricky as we are away on hols for 3 weekends and I've just hurt my back so out of action for a few days at least...
RIP

Post by RIP »

(Ben) 'get out onto the path very quickly' - but not so quick you don't check which side the 120' drop is first presumably :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster