Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pickers

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by Pickers »

After issues at home kyboshed both WRT and 3LT trips, I wanted a wee night out. The bike was still packed and untouched from last weekend so everything was ready to go with little further prep needed.
Friday morning came and the bike and kit loaded in the car, off to work. Straight to dad's house after work, couple of hours there making sure things were shipshape and then off.
There's some great lanes to just ride and I pottered along just enjoying those lanes, but also pondering an evening meal venue. Nothing grand needed so across the Severn at Arley, through the Wyre and then down to Bewdley for a visit to the Merchants chip shop by the bridge. Folks queuing out the door is a good recommendation and I wasn't disappointed.
The evening was perfect and I rode out of town and into the Wyre, just enjoying being on the bike. I had an idea of a couple of quiet spots to spend the night, somewhere a bit open with a bit of space but still out of sight.
I had an excellent nights sleep, straight through to around half past 7. I don't even manage that at home!
Coffee and porridge on, I left the tent up for a while to dry out in the sun before packing up and heading back.
My BaM tally this year is a bit intermittent, but it was good to get back out again even if it was a short trip.
by Richard Picton - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Good to see you out rich ,sorry had to cancel Friday and do Thursday instead , if your about midweek towards the end of next month me and the boy will meet up with you either down the Wyre or close to the clee :-bd
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

No worries Stu, Next month sounds good, now I know a bit more about things here I can plan a few short trips.
I know Reg has a few thoughts as well, I’ve missed too many outings this year. Turns out I actually miss this stuff. Who’d have thought...
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

6/6 for Fraser and I. Went up to Whitelee Windfarm and bivvied at the shelters at the MTB trail. My youngest son Lewis (8) joined us for his 1st trip away. Lewis got picked up by Mum and Fraser and I rode home the long way through the windfarm picking up some tiles.
BaM 2021
paramart

Post by paramart »

middleagedmadness wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:42 am As the boy decided he wants Bivi a month I dropped out of rtts so I could spend the night with the boy , anyhow as today is a inset day ,he got home from school ate and packed the bikes ,a pleasant bumble up the canal to chase water where we saw a family of deer just watching everything around them ,from there it was down to the redmore inn ( yes mart it's still pricey) a few pints (coke for him) and a few pedal strikes to the Bivi spot ,no tarp needed and very little darkness ,I think it was properly dark for all of 2hrs ,up at 5 packed away and off home ,a pleasant night again spent with my lad ,6out of 6 for me and 2 this year for Fionn
stu due to coughing my guts up on the rtts, i chose not to bivvy so will have to go this w/end
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Was the route alright for you Mart?
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interested to hear where you ended up and how you got on (aside from the coughing :wink: ), anybody doing any scribblings?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
paramart

Post by paramart »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:31 pm Was the route alright for you Mart?
some hikeabike on the bridleways due to ground conditions and farmers leaving crap on them, missed the loop around the top as it was really slow going, quite hilly on the return leg adlibbed a bit here as well made it easier to pedal to the lake overall a good route just not feeling well was a pisser. burty will tell you where as my garmin went tits up again from the start
middleagedmadness

On shift this weekend mart so won't be able to get out with you ,was gonna use the hut but youngfella fancied a coke so gentleshaw it was
paramart

Post by paramart »

middleagedmadness wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:48 pm On shift this weekend mart so won't be able to get out with you ,was gonna use the hut but youngfella fancied a coke so gentleshaw it was
no problem stu will get up the chase for a night
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

June BaM 6 out of 6.

I was a bit bored of heading out from work on a Friday and doing the same old trudge out into the Peak, so I packed the bike in the car and drove out to Buxton after work. I had created a 50 mile route using BikeHike (first time doing this) using some new to me trails round the White Peak and uploaded it onto my Garmin. I was a bit unsure of this, never having trusted navigation just to a GPS (I know, I'm an old fart). I packed a map just in case :wink:

Heading south from Buxton through Earl Sterndale (very un PC pub sign) and down towards Hartington, it was a beautiful evening:
ImageOn the way to Hartington by Chris Farley, on Flickr

I needed more water, so what with the shops being shut and no taps around, I was forced to get some at a pub and of course buy a pint. Off again down through Winster, Elton, Gratton Dale and Long Dale (really beautiful and nice trails):
ImageLooking back down Long Dale by Chris Farley, on Flickr

Heading North again onto the Tissington Trail, water top up at Parlsey Hay and find a spot tucked away in the fields for the tent:
ImageTissington Trail camp by Chris Farley, on Flickr

Had a quiet hour before dark and was visited by a curious and not at all nervous hare.

Early Saturday off towards Monsal Trail - crossing it at Chee Dale:
ImageMonsal Trail by Chris Farley, on Flickr
..and then back to Buxton where an early opening cafe provided me with breakfast.
ImageBuxton Breakfast by Chris Farley, on Flickr
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

6/6
I decided to go to the Radnor Forest for a late afternoon trip down memory lane I used to ride there quite often 15/20 years ago but have been passing through on the way to other places since then . What I did remember was the warm up and up lane from the village into the forest carried on climbing on the forest road with great views off to the right to be met by a guy on a Motocross bike who turned out to be the only person I saw for the next 18 hoursImageIMG_20190622_181151681_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Descended from the forest past trees that were tiny last time I was there then onto track through a farmyard to be greeted by what must be by now close relations of the previous farm dogs same attitude for sure ! This track was on the original printed route that I used but on the other side of the gate leaving the farmyard it says no right of way who knows, climbed a nice old road back into the forest then crossed main road and headed towards Pitch Hill for the days invisible bridleway and locked gate experience after a long push through weeds ,wheat and nettles the track reappeared in the right place ☺ some very nice riding followed crossed the main road again to climb back up another steep lane to the byway back across the hills the light was going so first flat spot was going to be home for the night got set up ate and drank and settled down for my monthly battle with my pillow it won again .
Morning brought a lovely sight ImageIMG_20190623_054341650_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

Packed up 6 ish and headed out across the hills to visit the waterfalls and have breakfast
ImageIMG_20190623_073645211_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Some route finding followed I wanted to get across to the bridleway on the other side of the valley which after a lot of effort I managed on the way down I spotted an easy obvious way of doing it how I missed I don't know I had a vested interest in following the track back to the van
ImageIMG_20190623_090529089_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I will be back very soon loved the place
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BAM 6/6 A Gallon Bivvy around the Long Mynd

The Three Lions Tour got me thinking. How about this for silliness:- ride between 8 pubs, have a pint in each? A plan came together. No 1, The Red Lion, Marchwiel, (61 Deep) on the way to the railway station at Wrexham. Off at Shrewsbury to start in earnest.

2, The Crown, Coleham, Shrewsbury - Boon Doggle
3, The New Inn, Hook a Gate - Hereford Pale Ale
4, The Tankerville Arms, Longden - Shropshire Gold
5, The White Horse, Pulverbatch - Twisted Spire

Then it went a bit wrong. It had taken too long to get this far. I'd intended to get off the tarmac and head across to Snailbeach and across the Stiperstones to The Bridges for a hearty meal, but I'd have got there too late - kitchen closed, so more tarmac to Bridges for a gammon steak and:-

6, A Three Tuns' "Solstice".

Up & over the Mynd then, (Priory Cottage, Shooting Box, Pole Bank trig point) to bivvy in the forestry at Priors Holt. Oh, and swig my little hip flask of brandy. I sure slept well. Stayed in bed until gone 9:30 - no point getting up too soon - pubs don't open 'til 12:00.

In the Morning, down The Shropshire way and Jack Mytton Way to Plowden, then Horderly, before joining the Onny Trail to Whistanstow, where:-

7, The Plough - Shropshire Lass

8, Last but not least, finished at the Green Dragon, Little Stretton, - a pint of Ludlow Gold to complete the gallon. :-bd , and a belly-bustin' plateful of belly pork, roast, mashed and new potatoes, stuffing ball, carrots peas and red cabbage. I didn't have time to enjoy it as much as I should have, because I had to stuff it in and get to the station at Church Stretton for 3:00. The meal deserved better, but I'd have had to wait another two hours for the next train.

The train was packed but i managed to get on anyway. Stood all the way and had to get off at each station with my bike to let people off and on. I was so hot & thirsty when I finally got off at Ruabon, I stopped at the Bridge End for one more, a pint of Coke, to see me through the ten mile ride home.

It would have been much better with company. Anyone?
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

June ticked off, with a trip up the hills to bid the sun goodnight on the summer solstice.

We met at Sheffield’s finest beer shop and ensured all riders were suitably lubricated and bikes hydrated (that’s the right way round, yes?). Will Hideout managed to slink away from his post behind the bar a little early, and we headed off via bucolic scenes of passed out drunks and sex superstores…
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzHxKRAJewi/

Cries from Will for another lubrication stop were rebuffed as we headed up the valley towards the uplands, as I was keen to catch the sunset. Despite bonking on the last climb, I made it to the top and our spot for the night with five minutes to spare before the sun dropped below the horizon.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzC_bVjJfxJ/

Tinnies were opened, and I cracked on with cooking our tea. Unfortunately, I ran out of gas just as I was about to heat up the rice, but the chorizo and bean chilli was piping hot by then.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzFQLenJrHo/

I slept pretty well until the sun rose a bit after 4am. After that I had a series of slightly unsatisfactory naps until breakfast time, where the continued lack of gas also put paid to my planned porridge (though Ben had brought a flask of coffee, and we had some leftover bread and cheese from the night before, so not all lost there). After that, it was an enjoyable bimble down the hill, and back along country lanes…
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzHyj6pJi8X/

2019 BAM 6/6
2019 total bivvies 8
Current streak (months) 7
Last edited by Bearlegged on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Some top tales from Chris, Kev, Frog and 'slide there I reckon :-bd . But Frog, that was some Tour! Completely put our 3LT efforts in the shade. I've ended up in that "bike off/on at every station" scenario a couple of times and there's always a little frisson of fear that the "on" part of the arrangements doesn't get fulfilled at the most remote station :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:49 pm ... stopped by my lock-up ...
I've long held the theory that anyone with a lock-up is likely to be a wrong 'un. :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:25 pm I've long held the theory that anyone with a lock-up is likely to be a wrong 'un. :grin:
All I've got in there is some junk, oh and a pocket watch I picked up at a house clearance, this time next year we'll be millionaires :lol:

Lock-up is doing it a bit of an injustice, because of my attention to detail when I was building my car my mates used to refer to it as 'The centre of excellence' :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm BAM 6/6 A Gallon Bivvy around the Long Mynd

The Three Lions Tour got me thinking. How about this for silliness:- ride between 8 pubs, have a pint in each? A plan came together. No 1, The Red Lion, Marchwiel, (61 Deep) on the way to the railway station at Wrexham. Off at Shrewsbury to start in earnest.

Then it went a bit wrong. It had taken too long to get this far. I'd intended to get off the tarmac and head across to Snailbeach and across the Stiperstones to The Bridges for a hearty meal, but I'd have got there too late - kitchen closed, so more tarmac to Bridges for a gammon steak and:-

Up & over the Mynd then, (Priory Cottage, Shooting Box, Pole Bank trig point) to bivvy in the forestry at Priors Holt. Oh, and swig my little hip flask of brandy. I sure slept well. Stayed in bed until gone 9:30 - no point getting up too soon - pubs don't open 'til 12:00.

In the Morning, down The Shropshire way and Jack Mytton Way to Plowden, then Horderly, before joining the Onny Trail to Whistanstow, where:-

8, Last but not least, finished at the Green Dragon, Little Stretton, - a pint of Ludlow Gold to complete the gallon. :-bd , and a belly-bustin' plateful of belly pork, roast, mashed and new potatoes, stuffing ball, carrots peas and red cabbage. I didn't have time to enjoy it as much as I should have, because I had to stuff it in and get to the station at Church Stretton for 3:00. The meal deserved better, but I'd have had to wait another two hours for the next train.

The train was packed but i managed to get on anyway. Stood all the way and had to get off at each station with my bike to let people off and on. I was so hot & thirsty when I finally got off at Ruabon, I stopped at the Bridge End for one more, a pint of Coke, to see me through the ten mile ride home.

The folk who have met me already have noticed I favour a liquid lunch when cycling, then tend to feel rather groggy the next day to say the least.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

6/6
Another superlocal. Recced some delightfully promising spots on the Sunday morning ride but alas, fine drizzle had me scuttling back to the shelter of my favourite Christmas tree.
Perfectly warm in my summer plumage of down socks/trousers/jacket and bivi bag.

It's blimmin' noisy in the woods at 04.30 :shock: , so packed up, rode home (sheep, muntjacks and LOADS of rabbits :-bd), tea and bed :grin: .
A distinct lack of can-can dancers, though :cry: .

Back out again Friday night, but likely swapping bike for "beer & beach".
May you always have tail wind.
middleagedmadness

frogatthefarriers wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm BAM 6/6 A Gallon Bivvy around the Long Mynd

Nearly local to me , haven't been down there since the winter Bivi ,bit you've now given me the idea for this year's Shropshire winter Bivi :-bd
javatime

Post by javatime »

BAM June 5/5 Completed – I started in February

Another quick and local a couple of weekends ago despite an awful forecast. Over the Clifton Suspension Bridge on Friday afternoon against horizontal rain, through a very green Ashton Court Estate and then the Festival Way towards Nailsea. A novelty to see the lanes steaming when the sun did occasionally break through.

Met a friend in The Blue Flame for a few hours of catching up with mugs of tea, kitkats, then a glass of beer with an excellent pulled pork roll when 6.00 o’ clock came. A great way to end the working week as the rain finally stopped and some weird low lying mist enveloped the fields.

I headed off to have a look at Yorkhouse Cave, but as it was dripping and I was tarp free I took the second option of the unfinished villa nearby…fell asleep to the Easyjet lullaby.

In the morning the Bristol hinterland was looking pretty green.

The usual route home as the Park Runners set up, and the rest of Bristol slept in on a Saturday morning.
and the students were leaving town, so rich pickings from the front garden wall freebies…

RIP

Post by RIP »

Like it - a useful emergency bivi lighting setup for next time!

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I think if Stu was to knock up some pot stands you would have yourself a triple meths burner for multi course meal and beverages when ready replace meths with the candles for romantic dining experience !
gallowayboy

Post by gallowayboy »

As the rain and gloom abated, off I went for June BAM...
Headed up out of the Calder Valley and north on the Mary Townley Loop by Gorple and Widdop, and over to Hurstwood. The sun set over Pendle Hill....
And then I met Maoro (maybe excuse my italian spelling!)who is on an off road (in part at least) LEJoG; several days in and five days to go, he's carrying less gear than me on a one night bivvy - but finding it cold. Good luck Maoro, hope the weather holds up!
I knew there were a few good bivvy spots in Shedden Clough and I chose one just as I'd need lights to ride on. Gentle breeze kept the midgies at bay, and after a cup a soup, biscuits and chocolate the whaups lulled me into a not to deep sleep.....
Up at 5.45 with the cloud burning off - that bit of fly-tipping is my bivvy and bike!
packed up by 6.45, warmth in the sum already and Pendle hill appearing once more. Shedden Clough has got to be one of the loveliest pieces of post industrial wasteland in the Pennines.
Back home via the Long Causway and Dukes cut for toast, coffee and a swap of bikes and out for another ride. Got to make the most of sunny days off!
mountainposture

Post by mountainposture »

It's been busy busy here and Joolze has been in the States so we haven't slept out since WRT. This weekend or bust.

Talking of off road LEJOGs we were up at High Cup Nick taking pics and vid for promo stuff of it. I say 'we'. The artistic types did the clever stuff and I rode backwards and forwards as instructed. Did start putting ideas in one's head though... I note it's a fair pull up to HCN with a loaded bike. There may have been a Bear Bones jersey in evidence though.

Haven't even had time to get on here so good to catch up with trips n pics.