Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:56 am Maybe Mike should invest in him instead of trying to find a collapsible coffee dripping cone.
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:56 am Btw... the coffee grounds fell through but this is 'Karl the human coffee dripper mark 1'... So its only ever gonna get better
£20 off Amazon, which is a bit much considering they're £15 when in stock on the Sea to Summit website...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting outing for Frog there - the next level of gigpacking must surely be morris dancing :smile: .

Looks good Shaf. I'm sure I recognise that wall... i Hope you weren't too Cross with the lack of weather?! Never mind the coffee - posh flippin' bikepacking, gimme a proper brew :wink: - wot's that eVent jacket Karl...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 am Interesting outing for Frog there - the next level of gigpacking must surely be morris dancing :smile: .

Looks good Shaf. I'm sure I recognise that wall... i Hope you weren't too Cross with the lack of weather?! Never mind the coffee - posh flippin' bikepacking, gimme a proper brew :wink: - wot's that eVent jacket Karl...
Reg... its his posh OMM jacket. Seems to wear it everywhere these days so it must be halfgood and worthy of the hype (I have Mountain Equipment green one with Goretex pactlite and the stronger stuff in the hardwaring areas.. from Trekkit for super cheap Reg and I reckon you'll like it)...

You mention the cross at the bivvy spot. As it turns out there was some sort of structure just opposite to that there wall. Karl said it doubles up as a shelter but I wasn't convinced. Now you mention it, it did look almost like a cross (maybe).

Anyway, think I'm on 7 or 8 BAMs now and feels nice. Missus said I stink of poo when I got in though (maybe erm the sheep smelling ground!)...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Oh... and here's Karl practicing his latest training technique for future challenges. Think he tries to overpack his seatpost bag then hold it to shape with one hand...

Interesting how he (maybe) managed to do the rockGarden-ey DH... Man of many talents (saddlebag extra strap... human coffee dripper cone/machine) and I almost learnt how to rebuild an engine

If you look carefully (he was going too fast for me to take a proepr shot) his left hands holding up the pack...

Karl

Post by Karl »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 am wot's that eVent jacket Karl...
As Shafiq said, It's the OMM Aether jacket. Really impressed with it so far. Nice and light, breathes well and so far keeps me dry. Better than my Berghaus see through condom.
Karl

Post by Karl »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 pm Oh... and here's Karl practicing his latest training technique for future challenges. Think he tries to overpack his seatpost bag then hold it to shape with one hand...
I was being lazy with the packing this morning :lol: On the plus side I fitted all my winter kit into the ortlieb bag including stove and a sleeping bag, rather than the usual quilt :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Karl wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:21 pm Better than my Berghaus see through condom.
Have you tried using the Berghaus for making coffee? It's as waterproof as a coffee filter :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

"for making coffee" :lol:

OMM Aether - ah ta, I should've sussed that. Was sort of on my list when I got the Marmot recently, but I got put off by talk of 'thumb loops' and the, er, "reduced" price of £220 on ultralightoutdoorgear :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Karl

Post by Karl »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:01 pm OMM Aether - ah ta, I should've sussed that. Was sort of on my list when I got the Marmot recently, but I got put off by talk of 'thumb loops' and the, er, "reduced" price of £220 on ultralightoutdoorgear :smile: .
I got it for £150 from a Wiggle sale.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 am Interesting outing for Frog there - the next level of gigpacking must surely be morris dancing :smile:
What a good idea! First thoughts:- Clun, Green Man in May. Cardiff, Gwyl Ifan in June. Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance in September......

Hmmm.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

A late night return to Reg's woodshed, which provided welcome shelter from this morning's cool drizzle.

5 rabbits, 1 muntjack and 1 fox for company.

Now off to work for a 6-hour meeting, followed by Christmas drinks :shock: .
Roll on Saturday.... :lol:
11/12
May you always have tail wind.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

MuddyPete wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 am Now off to work for a 6-hour meeting,
A six hour meeting :o I'd need my bivi kit to get through that :lol:
MuddyPete wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 am .....followed by Christmas drinks :shock: .
Roll on Saturday.... :lol:
11/12
How many drinks are you having? As it's only Thursday, to go through to Saturday is some commitment :-bd

I'm off for November's BAM tonight, I packed my kit ready yesterday evening. I'll also be straight to work the next day but as I have a room to myself in the office I can take it easy if I need to :smile:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

November BAM done...

11/11

Pleasant night out at the Southern end of the bay. 12 mile ride each way and not a bad sleep considering it rained on and off... Always intrigues me how noisy the coast is around fishing ports. Trawlers coming in and out all night.

All went well until this morning when very shortly after setting off for home, suddenly I was on the floor with a very hard wack. I can honestly say I have never hit my head so hard before. I was temporarily dazed and it took me a few minutes to work out what had happened. Despite running two Exposure Joysticks, I had failed to see a hole that was at least 2 feet across and at least the same depth and had ridden straight into it. How I didn't mangle my front wheel I don't know... The bike seemed to get away with a scratched right lever and a squashed bottle cage.

Suffice to say, I now need a new helmet after remodelling the right hand side of my current one. I would like to make it clear that I have no interest in a helmet debate, but I am very, very glad that I was wearing a helmet and am convinced it saved me serious injury, if not a worse outcome this morning.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Zwdrip7Dg/
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Eeek that doesn't sound good at all. Be very careful with yourself for the next wee while - 'near concussions' can be as damaging to the brain as full concussions I believe and it is very important that you don't bang your head again during the recovery time, which can be several weeks. If you don't feel right - go to the hospital.

Edit: bloody hell - seen the photo now - you must have gone down with some bang. New lid time!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

November 11/11

I decided to venture slightly further afield this month, bit still on the Island so not too far.

I have been trying to decide how long it will take me to ride from home to the ferry next month when I head off for the Winter Bivi in Dartmoor. So the best way to know is to do a dry run :smile: So I left home at 20:50 on the loaded bike and rode across the Island to the ferry terminal at Yarmouth. It only took 1 hr 10 mins. Not bad for 16 miles but it is on the road and not too hilly. The weather was also favorable so I'll allow some extra in case of headwinds.

That done I rode 5 miles back the way I'd come to a small forest, followed the service road through to the north coast of the Island to a spot I've used before that overlooks the Solent. Form my bed I could see the lights of Lymingon to the west, Calshot Power Station's cooling tower and then Gosport to the east.

The forecast was for light rain at midnight which would be ideal as I was in my myog bivi bag and wanted to test the new rainproof cover over the mesh top. Pleased to report this worked as intended, I didn't get wet and didn't suffocate :-bd Once the rain stopped I opened up the bag again for a view of the sky. All too soon the alarm was going and it was 06:15 and time to get up, even though it was still pitch black as there was no moon.

I'd bought a new small flask the day before as an experiment for coffee in the morning, to save time or having to light a stove. The water could be described as 'warm to tepid' but I managed to make a drinkable coffee. To be fair the flask was only £7 and the garmin (which I left on all night) recorded a low of 3 degress. Took a photo of my spot a proof, not overly clear due to the lack of light.

Then packed up and rode the 10 miles to the office. Passed this on the way on the side of Home Bargains

It always brings a smile to my face when I ride past it, as Jane (my wife) just cannot believe the bargains that arrive at home from classifieds purchases, the lack of receipt seems to cast doubt over the price I say I've paid :lol:

I arrived at the office at the same time as normal. This is the first time I've gone straight to work post-bivi. I've bivied on a work night before but I'm usually close enough to home to pop in for a shower on the way. Not sure if a quick rinse in the work toilet sink is as good :grin:

Good job I'm first in or arriving with this much kit might attract attention.

I keep my bike in the small lock-up and this is attached to the book shop next door. As the wall between the two is not insulated some of their warmth comes thought and the 'shed' is always nicely warmer than outside. Best take advantage and air the bivi bag and mat :lol:

I used to have the shed to myself but we downsized and now rent less rooms in the building so I have to share it with old filing. The shelving was useful though. I didn't want to leave my sleeping bag in there in case it feel on floor which is quite dusty, but I did want to air it as the foot end gets a bit damp from condensation.

I thought no one would notice as the boss rarely comes into my room and if he does the bag 'should' be out of view behind the screens. Typical that today he came in and then walked over and stood by the window and talked to me for 10 minutes. My sleeping bag laid out along the top of the printer was in full view but he didn't ask why it appears I'd slept on a printer, perhaps he thought it best not to know :lol:

Only December to go for me now which will be the South West Winter Bivi on Dartmoor :smile: I'll then be able to apply for my second blue (BAM) badge. This will make my collection 2 blue, 1 black (BB200) and 2 orange (BB300) badges. For me the blue is harder than the others as it takes a real commitment, especially as I have to be stealthy and get away early every time.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Enjoyed that! " he didn't ask why it appears I'd slept on a printer, perhaps he thought it best not to know" :lol: . That'd be a BaM first :smile: .

gallowayboy

Post by gallowayboy »

Looks like I'm butting out for 2019... :cry: November has been a tough month -
Should've grasped the nettle earlier, but put off by the incessant rain. Now the weather has changed for the better but a poorly ageing mum takes precedence. So it's back to grabbing 2 HR night rides max, and Hoping to get back out in late December, more likely jan....
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Drinking in the last chance saloon (well the Kimberley actually).

Still the option to bail... 😂

It's been a struggle this month, can't seem to find the motivation and the weather hasn't been conducive.

This very much a token effort.
Give the dirt a little room.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

metalheart wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:34 pm Drinking in the last chance saloon (well the Kimberley actually).

Still the option to bail... 😂

It's been a struggle this month, can't seem to find the motivation and the weather hasn't been conducive.

This very much a token effort.
Get it done!

And I'll see you for December!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Stopped out last night, accompanied by Trep. That's 12 months in a row for me. Spent today riding round a cold and foggy Peak. Knackered now. Will do a proper write up once I've recovered.
slarge

Post by slarge »

As I always try and fail at BaM, 2020 might see me try to do a bivvy a month in 6 bivvies for the year.... Is that cheating?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:12 am As I always try and fail at BaM, 2020 might see me try to do a bivvy a month in 6 bivvies for the year.... Is that cheating?
Won't having to do 6 x 2 night bivis make it harder? You'll be committed to the date regardless of the weather and if you get a soaking the first night you've still got another night to go. Plus the last night of a month/first of the next won't necessarily fall accros the weekend.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

slarge wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:12 am As I always try and fail at BaM, 2020 might see me try to do a bivvy a month in 6 bivvies for the year.... Is that cheating?
Ah, in case you've misunderstood, bivvying out the night of 30th November only counts as one month. You'd have to do 2 nights to count as 2 months.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Drumroll please..... that's Joe and I completed BAM. I believe that Joe, at 15 years and 141 days, is the youngest person to have successfully completed the challenge. There is absolutely no way on earth that either of us would have camped out last night (or on many of our other BAM nights) without the motivation of this page to send us out of the door. For that kick up the arse I am very grateful to Stuart and to you all, as we have always enjoyed our trips once we have made ourselves get out there.

Last night was a wee bit chilly - it was only -2C when we left home at 8pm but dropped to -7C this morning when we got up.
I have never camped in such cold weather before. I had my water bottle under my blanket all night and when I put it in the bottle cage on the bike this morning it froze solid in seconds right before my eyes. :o

Various time-constraints and vehicle issues meant that we only cycled around 3 miles from home to Willistruther loch, which was, unsurprisingly, frozen all the way over.

We arrived after dark but were able to appreciate the full beauty of the place in the morning light.

Packing up with frozen fingers was interesting....

Frozen tents are a bugger to pack, but still preferable to a wet tent.

The ice on the loch was over 3cm thick....

Those are going to be a bit chilly on the way home....

Still some autumn colour in the frozen landscape...

Everywhere was hard-frozen but very beautiful. We were glad it was only a short ride back home though - need to get some pogies!

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well done!

Anyway it was last chance saloon for us for November. We've both had a cold recently so last night was pretty much the first opportunity to get out.

It was dark when we headed off from Gargrave via Markhouse Lane to Bell Busk then BW to Airton before roads took us to Malham and tea at the Listers Arms. By the time we left, about 2030, things had got properly cold and heading down the road to Janet's Foss the back wheel of the fat bike started to lose grip. It was all very sedate and progressive, none of your "instantly on the deck" loss of traction you get on a road bike, so I had time to calmly hop off the bike and run into the grass at the side of the road :lol:

The climb up from Goredale was equally slippy, I didn't expect wheel slip on tarmac when on a fat bike. The last bit of the climb to Weets Top was also a bit icy in places.

After some chocolate buttons and some whisky we turned in for the night. Pretty cold, about -4/5C

Heaven and Hell.

Everything was well coated in frost in the morning, including the insides of our tarps.

After some porridge and a brew we headed off on a loop around Mastiles Lane and Stockdale Lane to get us to Malham and back via our outward journey

Obligatory shadow when riding in low sun shot

Cath had gained a crowd of dot watchers

Heading up to Stockdale Lane, Malham Tarn in the background.

Dropping down to Malham we bumped into two other bikers, one of whom turned out to be someone from the South Lakes that I hadn't seen for twenty years! In the café in Airton we bumped into another cycling acquaintance. Small World!

11/11 and that's 25 in a row for me.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry