Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gazaddy

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by gazaddy »

Deleted,,,,,,,rubbish write up by the mrs.
Last edited by gazaddy on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

:shock:
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

7/7, July done.
Nothing quite so dramatic for me. Local bivi, local woods, warm enough just for down socks, trousers and jacket.
Arrived at 01.30, saw a badger and rabbits, slept until 04.45, rode home.
First outing on the "new-to-me" P7. It's good to be back on an MTB :-bd .
May you always have tail wind.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:15 pm You should try Romney Marsh for true depressive nothingness :-bd
I went on holiday to Camber Sands once as a kid. We took a day trip to see Dungeness and the marshes. To this day I have no idea why my parents thought that was a good idea.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

That's July now ticked off although, once again, I found myself leaving it fairly late to squeeze in this month’s bivvy. Due to other commitments, I preferred not to travel too far so settled on the John Muir Country Park near Belhaven in East Lothian. The weather forecast wasn't too promising and it looked like I’d be getting a soaking at some point. For that reason, I decided in advance to use an abandoned building, dating back to World War Two, which I’ve often passed as I’ve rumbled round the woods and nearby beaches on my fat bike. The predicted rain didn’t actually materialise in the end but the building proved ideal. After dinner and a couple of beers, a good night’s sleep was had… or at least it was until around 4.30 a.m. when a gang of crows decided to hold a lengthy shouting contest. Still, I'll take crows over midges any day!

In the morning, after I’d had had breakfast and packed up, I went for another spin round the local area. I’d been on the beach the evening before and it had been fairly busy with surfers, canoeists and a couple of horse riders. This morning, however, it was almost deserted apart from two dog walkers and me. I saw countless seabirds and a group of 7 or 8 seals in the distance but, on a less pleasant note, I also came across two party balloons lying near the water’s edge. Most of us will have seen media reports highlighting how these, and other abandoned plastic materials, are increasingly presenting a threat to wildlife. I therefore took some pleasure from bursting them before stuffing them in one of my bike bags alongside the two carrier bags I’d also picked up on my ride along the shore. Every little bit helps they say!

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

ImageBAM July2019 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

July BAM should have been somewhere up on Cross Fell with a mate, but the weather changed all that...
so this is my local clough, a lovely spot..

My new Klymit Inertia decided to leak and go flat... rucksack has a pad in, and it wasn't cold anyway...
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

7/7
I had hoped to continue with the idea to revisit places I used to regularly ride but that seem to have slipped of the radar unfortunately life got in the way so I will have to go back to the Jenn ride for this month's BAM .
The whole experience once I finally got to Stavely was brilliant got to meet lots of people off here .Set off about 8 as I was ready and thought I would get across Windermere before the rush, stopped for the views at the top of Grizedale along with everyone else and then decended to the valley with Rich and Tom who told me about their Tour divide plans . Plenty of food and drink stops along the route all surrounded by horizontal bikes and riders . I decided to bivy up at Burnmoor tarn so pushed on arrived about 9 to find first few spots already occupied eventually found flattish area for sleep and food watched lots of riders go past into the gloom, I got up for a comfort break about 6 to see bodies all over the place . As I i rejoined the route Rich and Tom arrived at the same time fortunately for me as just afterwards Tom stopped as there was an adder on his chosen line great sight . A very enjoyable ride and push back to base for beers and food a very civilised affair compared to most previous BAM's .
psling

Post by psling »

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:01 am 7/7, July done.
First outing on the "new-to-me" P7. It's good to be back on an MTB
:-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
psling

Post by psling »

Raggedstone wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:42 pm 7/7
... a very civilised affair compared to most previous BAM's .
Oi ! I've been with you on a couple of those previous BAM's, what d'ya mean not civilised!!! :wink: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Double post. Can't see how to delete it. Sorry.
Last edited by Borderer on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

7/7 in 2019 for me and the boy (Borderer 2)

We had a shortish cycle to Gameshope bothy on Monday night. The full write-up is here:

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2019/07/ ... ope-bothy/

...or here are a few photos....

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

It's been a while since I've put the tarp up. Could've done with a bit more time and daylight, but hey ho...
M&S salted caramel porter is helping...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Most bothies I've been have been damp and dark. That one looks positively inviting!!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

After lots, of to-ing and fro-ing, and umming and aaaring and then almost not doing.

I packed up my bags, and went on to work and took some pics in the morning thereto.

Then I did a half shift and finished writing my papers and departed back to the place I came from at the start.

The only issue being, do I do the bivy, and get two months worth of credit, or do I chuck in the towel and say its been a good one again this year.

Then 23 miles in, I stopped here for salah, in the farmers field, the one that says there is indeed cctv therein.

Suddenly the opportunity, presented itself, as the mucky mud wasn't boggy and it felt safe and sheltered in my head.

So I brushed quickly my teeth and opened my bags and laid down my phd and its cover the bivee.

Then I quickly texted my wife then gathered my thoughts and opened this here BB.

:-bd
redefined_cycles

That there was my attempt at a poem for last nights bivy :lol: not sure if it was any good but....

Anyway. July and August done last night and just about to cross the barrier to my front door... yesterday pic of ride to work with my bivy kit (just sleeping bag and XL hunka which I laid down in some almost flat terrain and got some nerve trapping in shoulder :-bd ) and this morning arriving back home after a good 4 hours nice sleepy sleepy :grin:

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

July and August done last night
To clarify.... One night out doesn't cover two months.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:14 pm Image

Most bothies I've been have been damp and dark. That one looks positively inviting!!
It's a really great little bothy. I wasn't expecting much from it at all - I was put off by the lack of a stove and a fairly indifferent write-upin the bothy bible, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It has gone right up there into my top three....
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:29 am
Yep ^ he is right. For it to count as two months you have to stay out for two nights ie the 31st and the 1st.
redefined_cycles

Oh... Nope, Scot I'm pretty sure it states in some of the rules list somewhere (I've deifnitely seen it) that if you start on one month and end in the next it can be classed as both months... :-bd I'm sure Stu will clarify :smile:
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:14 pm A day earlier than last year - I must be keen. Here we go BaM 2019.

1/ At least one night out during every calendar month ... feel free to start any month you like, just as long as you tot up 12 consecutive months,

2/ A single trip taking in both the last night of one month and the first of the next, will count as two months if you wish.

3/ No paid for accommodation inc' campsites or hostels.

4/ A bike must be involved - it's bikepacking, the clue's in the name ... 'Involved'? You really don't need me to spell it out do you?

5/ Your own garden doesn't count, although next doors does ... if you must.

6/ Post each trip here in as much detail as you like, pictures are good. One post for each month please ... if you'd prefer not to post, that's fine. We'll take you at your word.

Anyone completing BAM next year by the guidelines outlined above will be eligible for a special momento to mark their 'achievement'.

Obviously, you're entirely free to do things your own way and ignore the above.
There it is Scot in point 2. Plain as the peak of Everest that is :???:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Further to last night's missives...

Having spent a very glamorous week swanning around the Alps at the start of July, I was a bit short on "buggering off on my bike points", hence a last minute short trip into the Peak. I rode out into the dusk, heading for a spot with flat ground and shelter, but also a car park. Thankfully when I got there, the car park was empty, so I decided to risk it. Tarp went up, beer was cracked open, and I settled down to sleep. Until I was rudely awakened by the revving engine, aftermarket exhaust, and overactive dump valve of the local Fast and Furious fan club. They pulled into the car park, but seemed happy to stay in the car for a bit, before roaring back off into the night.

I then spent the rest of the night enjoying the customary series of slightly unfulfilling naps, until I was woken by dogs barking at 5:30am. Not a dog person at the best of times, the prospect of dog walkers at the crack of sparrow fart was more than I could bear, so I started to strike camp. At this point, the local winged death squadrons started to appear, so rather than sort myself out with breakfast, I packed up and scarpered.

Making the most of my free morning, I bimbled round the local lanes, (successfully) seeking out half a dozen geocaches, before finding a midge-free spot to brew up a coffee, before rolling down the hill back into Sheffield.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0nHn9PlvVE

2019 BAM 7/7
2019 total bivvies 9
Current streak (months) 8
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You've misread it Shaf:
2/ A single trip taking in both the last night of one month and the first of the next, will count as two months if you wish.
What that's saying is that a two night trip across the end of a month may count towards two months. So set off on 31st July, bivy, ride on the 1st August, bivy, ride to end of ride. The 31st July bivy would count for July, the 1st Aug bivy would count for August.

You bivvied on "the night of the 31st July" so that counts for July not August.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Oh :roll: bloomin. I always looked at it as being the very same night with midnight seperating the 31st and the 1st nights... :sad: oh well. I guess I'll have to pick another night out over the month :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

To be fair it is confusing in the way that it is written. I scratched my head and had to read it a few times when I first saw it.
But yeah, no free rides. One a month and no excuses.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Borderer wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:46 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:14 pm Image

It's a really great little bothy. I wasn't expecting much from it at all - I was put off by the lack of a stove and a fairly indifferent write-upin the bothy bible, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It has gone right up there into my top three....
Yep ^ he is right. For it to count as two months you have to stay out for two nights ie the 31st and the 1st.
Thanks for posting Borderer. Looks a great place. I'll let Fraser see your report. Think we'll be heading there soon...once the water levels go down.
BaM 2021