Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by fatbikephil »

July done. Having missed February through to April its good to get back into my stride again....
Had a late start due to watching the TdF so left at 5.30 in warm sunshine - not what was forecast. Did a leisurely route north ish up to and then down Glen Eagles on a nice grassy old drove road. Then climbed back up south past the Highland Spring Water, err springs. Got to Upper Glen Devon res about 8.30 and pitched up actually in the res, but dry as the levels are still low. I get my water from this res so effectively I'm drinking Highland Spring water out of my tap....

Pushing the boundarys of Bikepacking, I successfully carried a liter of beer with me, decanted from two glass bottles into two water bottles - stuff all that faffing with dehydrated beer and carbonaters. Left them cooling in the burn whilst I pitched and then enjoyed a very pleasant couple of ales whilst the sun went down.

This morning did some nice singletrack then ground my way up the long climb out of Glen Devon up to Skythorne Hill eventually topping out on Tarmangie Hill @ 645m

Fun descents, more climbs and more descents then home for another TdF watching sesh.
Last edited by fatbikephil on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Foties no workie!
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

July now done, so 7/7 for the year! Overnighter in Carrick Forest, Ayrshire. 40miles or so, good weather (nice breeze to keep the migies away)

ImageLoch Bradan by pete_maz, on Flickr
gallowayboy

Post by gallowayboy »

What better way to avoid the heat of the hottest day night combo of the year than to BAM high up in search of a breeze. Well as high up as Calderdale allows..At 8.30 pm it was still awfy hot in the valley - one hour later on the moor edge it's still awfy hot, and no breeze to take the edge of the heat or the midges away.
Mate sorted out his tent flysheet, I put my bag down and we munched crackers and boursin :-bd , berry mix and chocolate until dark. Sleep came quick, but broke up with cold feet - i had a thin fleece bag inside my bivvybag, and despite merino longs and a lightweight gilet by 3 am it was getting a bit chilly - the breeze had at last got up. Extra socks on, re adjustment of bag and mat and managed a couple more hours fitful sleep.
Once the sun was up, it got warm very quickly. Carried on over sublime moorland singletrack (and some tussocks) to Manshead Hill, then home via a greasy Stake Lane.
In the valley at 10.30 it was already unbearably hot in the sun. Rest of the day to keep cool I think...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

With the recent run of good weather but the prospect of rain at the weekend I thought I'd get July's bivi in as a cheeky #schoolnightbivi

I took the gravel bike on this one but not for any marketing led reasons, there were 21 reasons I decided on the gravel bike, the 2x11 gearing meant it had 21 more gears than my usual 1x1 mountain bike so the climb up to my chosen location would be easier with my tired legs. The road climb up to Ventnor Down is actually in volume 2 of the 100 greatest road climbs, other than being steep I cant see what all the fuss is about really, it's not even the steepest tarmac climb on the Island but that has more of a broken surface so perhaps not suitable for road bikes.

My bivi spot had been on my radar for a while :wink: (look up RAF Ventnor to see the detail of this pun) but having visited the spot last weekend on my trig point ride I was motivated to bivi there in the good weather and start #trigpointpacking (copyright RIP) Unfortunately when I arrived there were already a large number of others there for the night :sad: It's hard to tell exactly what a cow is thinking just from the reflection of it's eyes in your helmet light but the general vibe I got from the heard gathered around the trig point is that they were there first and I'd have to go elsewhere. Having moved to the adjacent field plan B was just to stop at the first flat spot off the track.

The forecast was for a light rain for an hour around 11pm so I took a fully waterproof bivi bag, albeit with a mesh opening. Previously I've only believed a forecast if it was saying what I wanted to hear, if it said rain I'd think "probably wont happen, they've got that wrong" and if it says dry I'm more "of course it will be dry the forecast says so" but post-HT550 I'm inclined to take more notice. The waterproof bivi was the right call as despite a clear sky when I first bedded down the forecast shower did occur. The bivi I took is a myog and I have some of the breathable waterproof fabric left so I think I need to make a flap to cover the mesh/opening to save having to try and fold the top over the gap in showers.

I slept in my new Montane Allez Micro Hoodie and I was impressed. The hood was comfy and kept my head warm in the night. I left my garmin on overnight to log the temperature now I have a tempe, it dropped to 59F (15C) so pleasant, which is probably why Iwas warm enough in my 150 quilt for a change :lol:

After a good nights sleep, only waking once when the rain came, I was awake at 5am, laid there for a half an hour and then decided I'd get up and crack on.

After a week when it's been sunny and 20 degrees+ by 06:30 it would obviously be overcast and cool on the morning I wake up on a hill :roll: Packed up in 10 mins, I didn't take very much with me, and away for the ride home, I decided to head cross-country as it was shorter. I rode down this section of trail earlier in the week on a proper off road bike, it was faster and more fun then but I survived it on the 'gravel' bike, but I wouldn't want a whole day of riding like that.

A quick spin along the cycle path on the old railway line and a couple of miles of road and I was home for 06:15 which is when my alarm normally goes off anyway.

I'm always impressed with the scale of this bridge, it's actually 3 arches wide, there's another to the right of the cyclepath which is just out of shot. The landowner at the time they built the railway must have had some influence as this impressive construction only has a bridleway running over it. For scale that tiny object lent against the bottom is my bike.

Once home it was a quick shower, change of bike kit and rode the mountain bike into work. The wife thought it odd that I had just got in from a ride, changed and was then off riding again, but as that's how I get to work most days so what else would I do? :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

7/7 The Ardennes Arbalete

After last months poor show I had hoped this trip would redeem my BAM credentials.

A 6 day trip to Belgium, using the Eurostar from St Pancras, proved very good fun with very little pain or suffering. I wild camped the first night at Lac de le Gileppe. The camp was a dedicated bivvy spot but no money changed hands so I think it counted. The rest of the trip I used paid for campsites, not due to a lack of wild camping opportunities but because the campsites were convenient and allowed me a shower and to recharge all my electrics.

The Ardennes is a lovely part of the world, very well catered for cycle touring and masses of off road trails to explore in addition to this route. https://bikepacking.com/routes/ardennes-arbalete/

Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

July completed. 7/7 for Fraser and I in 2019. A quick trip to Kettleton Byre bothy. A great wee bothy in a part of the world I haven't visited often. Woke up to rain this morning so headed back to car.
BaM 2021
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That looks excellent

Edit - I mean the ardennes trip, looks really lovely
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Zip you'll have to scratch me for July ,back in work tonight till end of the month ,should have gone Thursday ,but too bloody hot to be bothered to ride, and yesterday to my own disgrace decided to go on the drink with the wife ( first time in a while our leave days have crossed) so I'm out of b.a.m this year :cry: ,but there's still a good few trips planned for the rest of the year :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

delete
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Me and Jeff played out on Friday, he showed me some of the best views I've seen in a long time!

Started with gates in the car

Image20190726_181057-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Then after a quick chinwag we headed up - there was zero down planned for Friday night.

Image20190726_202112 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

I put this down bit in and overrode JeffNav

ImageIMG_20190727_163941_488 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Jeff showed me his route went here;

Image20190726_205738 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

So we hikeabiked up it, typical camera, he's only a little bit in front of me, yet it looks flat.

Image20190726_204837-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

We got to the top and rejoiced

Image20190726_210554-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

horrid views....

Image20190726_212350-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Imagereceived_472815210164193-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

my biscuits confused me...

ImageIMG_20190727_145149_689 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Next morning we rode this

Image20190727_100315-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Then I rested

Imagereceived_379382886114326-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Sheepy was happy as always!

Image20190726_194412-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

I showed him I can't be normal

ImageIMG_20190727_155630_878 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Almost back at the car, up and over the fence then across the little stream

Imagereceived_507718293336120-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Imagereceived_1104837086376741 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

All in, fantastic route, company and bivvy spot, more than 3000ft up on top of Foel Grach.

...BTW, biscuits didn't win...they lost hard.

7th month in a row now Since Jan but can't remember how many other ones I've done.....
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:01 pm Me and Jeff played out on Friday, he showed me some of the best views I've seen in a long time!
Yeah its not too bad up this way. A classic from the summittoppler book of MTB routes...

ImageIMG_20190727_131808_343 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Good timing getting to the 3000 foot mark as the current bun was dropping...
Image20190726_204421 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Al getting away from the only volcano in Wales
Image20190726_205635 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

But the view was pretty good
Image20190726_205640 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Carnedd Llewellyn at 3491 ft
Image20190726_210214 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Don't ride into that orb Al!!!
Image20190726_210239 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

10/10
Image20190726_214927 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190727_072250 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190727_085503 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

I don't need a GPS, its all in the genes..
Image20190727_100128 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

(5th)July BAM ... done :-bd

I went for a ride in foreign (to me) parts, namely, the Peak District. Started off at Hope and pedalled around a loop through Robin Hood's Cross ,Robin Hood's Stoop, Leadmill, Hathersage, where this happened..
In the David Mellor cafe...

Then Tottley Moor, a gnarly descent through Blacka Hill SSI... gnarly trees too...

....Ringinglow, Redmires reservoires, and down to my bivvy just below Stannage Edge.

Today, crossed the Ladybower Dam, up through the woods to Wooler Knoll, down Hope Brink. At the bottom was this:-
which reminded me of this time last year on the Mary Towneley Loop when I phoned the fire brigade to report a fire on Rooley Moor and the responder hung up on me because I couldn't tell her the name of the road I was on - even though I offered to give her a grid reference. x(

Then for a bacon and egg bap in Hope. It was too early to go home and I'd intended to dump my gear in the car and head out towards Edale. That could have gone into "Today's Ride". Unfortunately as I neared Hope, the heavens opened and I wasn't up for a soaking so drove home.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:09 pm (5th)July BAM ... done :-bd

I went for a ride in foreign (to me) parts, namely, the Peak District. Started off at Hope and pedalled around a loop through Robin Hood's Cross ,Robin Hood's Stoop, Leadmill, Hathersage, where this happened..
In the David Mellor cafe...

Then Tottley Moor, a gnarly descent through Blacka Hill SSI... gnarly trees too...

....Ringinglow, Redmires reservoires, and down to my bivvy just below Stannage Edge.
this time last year on the Mary Towneley Loop when I phoned the fire brigade to report a fire on Rooley Moor and the responder hung up on me because I couldn't tell her the name of the road I was on - even though I offered to give her a grid reference. x(

That's better than a bloody road name. Crazy. Looks like a good night. Yet to pitch a tarp like that.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

First ITT attempt for me, having done a few bunch starts. Didn't really get the right idea of it, deciding to "get a flier" on Friday night so that I guaranteed I'd get round IF the weather stayed hot and I had to go slow.

The weather report was for light rain so I packed light and set off for the Peak 200 at 8pm after forgetting about the "flier" and working till 6 instead, then stopping for dinner on the way home from work.

I didn't finish the Peak 200 since the "light rain" was upgraded to "pissing downpour" from 11:30 on Saturday all through Sunday so I bailed at Dunsford Bridge.

Otherwise though, it made for a pleasant Friday Forest bivi.

I mistakenly thought I'd ridden to Wales

and bailed in a bus stop

Full words https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/201 ... tempt.html
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I actually managed to get a BAM done before the last day of the month!

I almost didn't go when some friends invited me out for a meal on Saturday evening. I had planned to ride onto Dartmoor and bivvi, but also wanted to go out with my friends. So I combined the two as our meal out was on the way to Dartmoor anyway! Saved taking grub for teat too, so worked out better in the end!

Left restaurant just before 11pm and rode from Newton Abbot to Bovey Tracey via some good cycle routes. Then up the road cimb towards Haytor, turning right just before the visitor centre. Followed that road around until a gravelly carpark on the left and then puh up to the top of Black Hill. Find a flat spot and settle down for the night. Got there just before 1am and managed to get straight off to sleep. Lovely clear night and sunrise. 20 mile ride home, stopping to make a brew by Stover canal basin about halfway home.

Very satisfying night out. Some pictures on my Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0dJlxbnqGj/

7/7

Si
RIP

Post by RIP »

'David Mellor cafe' - I"m voting you as Poshest BaMer Of The Month, Frog :grin: .

Stanage bivi spot - amazed you weren't rumbled there mate :wink: . Fair play to you.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:30 pm 'David Mellor cafe' - I"m voting you as Poshest BaMer Of The Month, Frog :grin: .

Stanage bivi spot - amazed you weren't rumbled there mate :wink: . Fair play to you.
£6.80 for pot of tea and a cake - pricey maybe, but proper tea made with leaves. And not just a cake - a chocolate cake with a layer of soft caramel on top and soft creamy chocolate on top of that. Worth every penny.

Is bivvying on Stannage problematic then? I just found a little woods and pitched up there. Saw a few folks walking by and a farmer on a quadbike but kept my head down and they didn't see me.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes it is a very good cafe - Mrs Perrin favours it so who am I to naysay :smile: .

Rangers have been rather, er, diligent at Stanage in the past with w1ldcamping but maybe they're more relaxed these days. It is a nice wood that though in't it, or so a friend told me once :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

I was in Norfolk for other reasons this weekend so it seemed a good excuse to do some Fen exploring on the way back, with a bit of an eleventh-hour July BaM. With no disrespect to all of the lovely BaMs reporting majestic mountain views, remote moors, high passes, beautiful beaches, and sylvan glades, I thought it was time I did some anti-scenery again. The appeal lies in the absence of anything interesting whatsoever – it’s interesting because it’s not interesting, or to paraphrase Stu “nothing to see but nothing” which is one of my favourite quotes from when he met some Welsh tourismo officials. So the photos are either going to hold the record for the most boring BaM pics ever, or possibly the most unusual depending on your outlook or warped mind like mine. Then again, think “enormous skies” etc (after some inspection over the weekend, I can confirm they are indeed enormous – either infinite, or at least rapidly accelerating away from us).

Si Bowden, who is an all around good egg, lives nearby and he was keen to join in too. I have a sort of ongoing background hobby of trying to utilise all sorts of obscure railway stations on my BaMs, and by good fortune this jape would be able to top the lot. Shippea Hill has only one train on Saturday evenings and in one direction only – once there you can’t get back! For many years it was the least-used railway station in the whole of the UK, so I thought I should do my bit and increase the patronage. Least-used because there’s absolutely nothing there, apart from rain and carrots. It’s also completely misnamed because far from being a hill it’s pretty much below sea-level, although the “tri-border” point between Norfolk, Suffolk, and Cambridgeshire is in an adjacent field, so there we go (damn! that's an "interesting" feature so I've spoiled my whole premise already!). The guard was completely stunned to be asked to stop there (it’s a request stop) and was baffled what I was going to do. Pointing at my “yes I’m camping no I don’t know where” sticker didn’t help him much.

Naturally, the VERY MOMENT I stepped off the train, the rain started. It continued to do so in varying degrees for the whole BaM – stuck with it now though, no train to escape on! The landscape is indeed fascinating and had an atmosphere all of its own which soon grew on me. We had no route planned other than gradually working our way north across the fields and dykes towards Downham Market. Me pointing at nothing:

Obviously everywhere is flat as a pancake and full of all sorts of food crops, but this field had us baffled until we worked out that it’s a turf farm – it’d be ace for a massive bowls game or possibly a giants’ cricket pitch:

Equally baffling were these signs in the middle of nowhere on a very rough track which you’d have a job getting over 10mph along, and with non-existent children:

Nothing. Oh actually I think I can see a tree two miles away.

Soaking wet by now we suddenly discovered we were on NRN 30! Totally blocked by logs nobody could have been this way for years. As a Cambridgeshire Sustrans warden Simon was fired up to get a report in as soon as he got back :smile: .

Dusk was now drawing in and we needed to find a spot fairly pronto. I soon spied a derelict house stuck in the middle of a field. Unfortunately I forgot to photograph it in the excitement of a barn owl flying out of a hole in the roof as we approached. Gingerly ( or in my case gingery :grin: ) entering I noticed the upper floors had collapsed but the ground floor had plenty of space albeit extremely dusty. As I was clearing some space Si objected to the choice, possibly on the grounds of it being haunted, so we continued to a nearby village which seemed to have a church and graveyard, which are always good standbys. Just outside the village Si spotted a grassy field through the pouring rain and we had a nose around for a tarp pitch. But then, aha! Hidden behind some nettles in one corner was a shed! It turned out to be luxury (by our standards of course) accom complete with a bed of straw, and even a waterproof roof! Buoyed up a bit by this we reserved our room with the receptionist and continued on to the village pub to get wet inside as well as outside. I tried to pay for our first round with my credit card, which resulted in lots of umming and ahhing and fingers on pursed lips, and rootling round in drawers and on high shelves, until finally a card reader was found in a cupboard and the cobwebs blown off it ready for action. Retiring to our deluxe shed, we had one of the best night’s sleep for ages despite the rain drumming away on the roof.

We worked our way gradually towards Downham Market where I knew there was a nice café by the river – the “Charmed Interiors”. We got a bit lost at one point and ended up following what we thought was a bridleway by a river. When it arrived at the railway line river bridge we found that the head-room was about four feet! Either this was a bridleway for Shetland ponies only or we had a problem. There was also a lot of poo strewn on the mud (unless the mud was poo as well) which was about the right size for Shetland ponies until we sussed that it was of human origin, arg!

We finally reached the café – closed on Sunday. OK, up into town instead where we found a Turkish Restaurant which also happened to do breakfasts – English as well as Turkish.

Suitably restored, we set off into the murk to find lots of… nothing

and…. nothing..

And… er… nothing. With a bridge.

The whole place was criss-crossed with endless tracks and lanes at right angles to each other so we gave up with any pretence of map reading, and just kept turning left and right and right and left generally trying to go east. It seemed to work because at lunchtime we arrived in Wisbech, which it’s fair to say might have seen better days. Well the dockside regeneration project seems to have a very nice expensive sign after which the investment seems to have stopped.

There’s some impressive Georgian houses and buildings but sad to say it was otherwise a little bit village-of-the-damned.

We wandered on in the general direction of Ely, through Outwell and Upwell with its attractive riverside cottages, and fields full of courgette-picking casual labour – a massive influence on proceedings and politics in this area. Sorry about the murky pics but it was still pouring with rain. Actually, in my usual perverse way I think the rain improved the whole tour experience, sunshine would have been far too pleasant and I quite enjoyed the all-pervading “Eeyore’s Gloomy Place” vibe.

Did we mention there’s nothing there?

The rain suddenly took a further turn for the worse (better?) as we arrived at Littleport so we stopped for a cuppa at the garage. Cue photo of extremely dejected and drenched Reg contemplating Stop Being Soft stickers on bike:

Instead of heading a little further east to Brandon station, Si convinced me to head south to Ely and catch a train from there instead. Which is what I did. Naturally, the VERY MOMENT I boarded the train, the rain stopped. Thank you to Si for a superbly nothing-based BaM, with loads of rubbish talked and weird experiences. I never want to see another courgette though. Mountains? Forests? Hah, ten a penny :wink:.

'Reg' (finally dried out)

7/7, 7/12, 42/42 ("BaM - the answer to life, the universe, and everything....")
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

middleagedmadness

:-bd :-bd ,nice little write up there Reginald
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Nice write up Reg. You were local to me too :lol:

I know what you mean about nothingness, which in itself has it's own different appeal (to a point!). I did a festive 500 (strava here) incorporating a few of those places you mentioned - it was also misty then!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta Stu, you'd've enjoyed it I reckon. Ah sorry Zip - thought you were down in Essex somewhere. Ah well, when it's next sunny there we'll go again and drop you a line - probably sometime in about 2025 :smile: .

middleagedmadness

Yep it would have been nice to catch up with si also ,nice fella he is
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

:-bd My one experience of riding in those parts was unusual an effort to keep out of the pub :shock: On a course I’d taken the bike and blasted across the vast empty wastelands at blistering speed, turned around at kings lynn only to discover the fenland winds.

You should try Romney Marsh for true depressive nothingness :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark