Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by RIP »

You're right Steve, it is a worry. STP is an integral part of a caper, I feel. I'm mildly concerned that my potential WRT supply points don't mention it but I expect it'll turn up somewhere. To be honest, it usually does when all seems lost and despair is all-consuming.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Successfully completed 4/4. Drove up late to Whitelee Forest for our April bivvy. Fraser wanted to try an al fresco bivvy for the first time so we pedalled the short distance to the hobbit huts at the MTB tracks. Whitelee is the biggest wind turbine development in Scotland. Had a decent nights and woke to a beautiful day.

Our accommodation

A happy child

We set off for a ride round the tracks passing Dunwan Hill iron age fort on the way

We followed the Lochgoin route round to the Covenanters memorial the back to the car.

Another great wee trip. Really pleased Fraser is getting the BaM bug and loving it.
BaM 2021
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Good work! Looks like he had fun! :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

We are cycling in Cuba just now where wild camping is illegal, but we did manage to sneak in a night away. Fireflies came and danced around our tent as we settled down for the night and made it a magical experience. 4/4 for me and the boy.
IMG_20190411_58299.jpg
(110.65 KiB) Downloaded 2963 times
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

With free time being very limited this month my April bivvy ended up being a quick to up into the nearby forestry. I took took a slightly roundabout way to get there to give the new fork, bars and tyres a go with weight on for the first time. Made a few tweaks along the way and then spent an otherwise pleasant and uneventful night 😊
4/4
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Finally bagged my 36th in a row.
3 years and relax, not worried if I miss one month now
122 miles from home to Llandegla for a lap, breakfast in the trail centre café and home for lunchtime

Last edited by JohnClimber on Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Two April bivvies, first one near Uath Lochan, Inshraich:

Second at Loch Tarff:

Give the dirt a little room.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

April Bivvy done. Good Friday, cycled down lots of lovely little Suffolk lanes, barely saw any traffic, saw some sheep - it was like a less brutal Wales! It was the last ride my knackered drivertrain was gonna do, so didn't mine going down the beach. Met up with gf and a couple of her friends - they met me at Covehithe church and brought some fish and chips with them! We then wandered down to a bird hide on the coast. I'd had a nasty puncture due to glass on the way - I'd managed to plug it - but it was a bit dodgy (as in I'd have to keep riding to keep plugging the seal!) so the bike in the car, and then we went to Southwold for breakfast at the Adnams Cafe. Southwold was empty at 8am and it was lovely, we left Southwold about 1030am - it was heaving at then and definetly time to leave. A good time had by all, Colleen's new Bivvy bag seemed to work well - although I think she was breathing into it as the waterproof bottom was a bit damp - but breathable outer dry (my borah with similar setup of waterproof bottom was fine however. Our friends bivvied on the beach and were inundated by sand in crevices and condensation - we did warn them!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2309228764

And despite meeting friends - in the spirit of things, I brought everything with me - sleeping bag, bivvy, clothes - I think that's fair game.

109 (19-04-2019) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

110 (20-04-2019) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

metalheart wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:30 pm Two April bivvies, first one near Uath Lochan, Inshraich:

Second at Loch Tarff:

That's me there too!!! :grin:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

That's me there too!!! :grin:
Aye, indeed. I was expecting a big write up and didn’t want to steal yer thunder Tickboy....
Give the dirt a little room.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

April BAM just done, that's 4/ 4.

My son wanted to join me this time - he's not usually keen on cycling but has done plenty of bivvying and wildcamping on foot. So I got a Lomo seatpack and a double ended dry bag for the bars, sort of for him but really because I wanted some extra stuff... a good excuse I thought.

A BBQ at home on Sunday afternoon and we set out about 6 for a short ride up into the Goyt valley again (same as March BAM) in search of a spot where he could put up his hammock and I could find a flat spot for my Lunar Solo. He managed to complain heartily about the climbing, even though he appeared to be finding it easier than me.

ImageBivvy a Month April - Sam by Chris Farley, on Flickr

Finding trees and flat ground round there is not as easy as it sounds. Plenty of flat spots without trees and plenty of trees without flat spots. We found somewhere near Fernilee reservoir and settled in for the night

The hammock certainly looked comfy - I might even be tempted to have a go myself.

A short ride this morning down into Whaley Bridge for a breakfast ciabatta at the Bridge Bakery. Despite the expression, he was happy at this point :smile:

Short ride home, and on with gardening for the day.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

4/4
Another one done and what an excellent trip around the lesser known parts of the Forest of Dean with psling and Reg it was , started the ride in a very unusal way by going downhill at least that got that out of the way as i only seem to remember climbing for the rest of the day !
ImageIMG_20190417_122248589 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Two lads on the climb of the day hatching ways to cause chaos later in the day by staring at a supermarket from very close to a car park couldnt resist the temptation to join them :mrgreen:

ImageIMG_20190417_163330013 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

After outrunning the local vigilante we got to the pub for sustanance in solid and liquid form and at the ungodly hour of 9 headed off to the bivy spot that Pete had chosen for us and an excellent choice it was . In the face of overwhelming odds i managed to put my tarp up in the process seemingly voiding the warranty on my lovely carbon fibre pegs !!ImageIMG_20190418_065356258 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

Didnt get much sleep due to a loud and persistent rumbling from deep within the earth/old mines it did seem to come from one particular spot Reg who had very sophisticated earplugs didnt hear it and Pete was totally oblivious . Early morning start with a brew and some sight seeing on the way to the cafe for breakfast .
ImageP1000547 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
All in all a great way to spend a couple of days thanks to both of you.
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

4/4 the Easter edition

Cycled to the MiL's for sunday dinner rode back and bivvyed in the vacant scout camp at Wisley - with the roar of the M25 in the background. Forgot my helmet light which made riding through the woods tricky and I fell in to a broken manhole at the camp - other than that very uneventful. Lovely sunrise in the morning, back home for 07.00 for some baby sitting before another ride around London in the afternoon 120 miles in total.

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Local one last night, headed out to some woods not too far fron home.
Was in a bivi bag with the bike laid flat, so not too obtrusive. Woke this morning with an odd feeling that i was being watched. Quick peek round & noticed a guy further up the hill with a camera, taking what i hope were 'wild-life' photos..
Jibbed making a coffee & headed straight off.
You don't half meet some proper weirdos in the woods :smile:

4/4
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Wotsits wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:07 pm Woke this morning with an odd feeling that i was being watched. Quick peek round & noticed a guy further up the hill with a camera, taking what i hope were 'wild-life' photos..
Jibbed making a coffee & headed straight off.
You don't half meet some proper weirdos in the woods :smile:
Ha ha, we scared alive some bloke who had wandered down the beach at sunrise to take some photos. He had no idea we were there until one of our group went up and said good morning - he had a helluva fright! :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Like many I suspect we took advantage of the fine weather over easter ...

See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14561 for fuller trip report but in there we did a bivy at Culra bothy.

Then a night at Corrimony bothy:

Then a night on the edge of Nevis Forest:

So that's 4/4.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

That Corrimony pic takes the prize for 'cosiest bivi of the year so far' - those seats wouldn't be out of place in some gentlemen's club! Compare and contrast with the alternative ditch arrangements...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
faustus

Post by faustus »

Not sure i’m really up for BAM but this may count if I carry on in May...

First big ride of the year going from Newbury to the New Forest via Savernake forest. Left late on Thursday under a full moon and rode for about 20miles to Savernake where I found a nice spot. Beautiful still night and I watched the moon through the branches.
url=https://flic.kr/p/2fyhZ7h]Image[/url]Woodlight moonland by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
After a reasonable sleep, had a coffee and porridge and watched a lovely red sunrise.
ImageSmall camp by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
ImageA Good Friday sunrise by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
Then lots of riding through Wiltshire countryside, breakfast stop in Amesbury, and the joys of the upper Avon valley
ImageUpper Avon valley by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
Then skirted round Salisbury and into the north new forest, then did a nice loop from Bolderwood, Burley, Brockenhurst, Lyndhurst, nearly all on nice gravel tracks.
ImageNew forest tracks by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
Then met the family for a picnic and a lift home! 105 miles in total and it felt good.

1/1 there may be more...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

4/4 April ticked off on my Dales Divide ride. Friday night was spent with In Reverse, after a pleasant pub dinner we rode on as we wanted to have the first third of the route finished on the first day. Gone 1am we bedded down in a secluded bit of woodland just off the track, well it seemed like that in the dark and no one disturbed us. In the morning we realised we were quite visable as Alan G rode by with a cheery wave :smile:

The second night I was on my own and after stopping for chips at Scarborough I rode on to the North York Moors. Again I wanted to the next third done before stopping, By 01:30 I had made the required distance but was on top of the moor. I threw some grass in the air to check the wind direction and decided to stop at the first opportunity with any kind of shelter from the wind. Within 15 minutes I had found my location, a small depression at the side of the track.

No sooner had I zipped up my bivi when another rider came by. I now know this was In Reverse as in the morning I rode past him bivied at the side of the track only a few hundred metres on from me. Of course within another couple of hundred metres there was a nice stone wall on the windward side :roll: but having in the past rode on in the dark for ages looking for the 'perfect' bivi spot and never fining it only to have to sleep somewhere worse than loads I've just passed I now stop at the first adequate spot.

My original plan for the event was to ride through the first night and only bivi on the second, but the heat on day one did me in so rather than ruin myself and take weeks to recover I took a more relaxed approach with a luxurious 5 hour sleep the first night, a bonus bivi :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Left home last night (Tuesday) about 8:20pm, just two and a half miles to a local reservoir...
A very comfortable spot just like a lawn with the grass having been cut...

Canada geese were having a family row this morning.

Water Board ! Glad they were't cutting the grass this morning... I only 'emerged' after 8am...
Made a black tea and ate a few biscuits, rode a bit then brushed my teeth, filled up with water and off...

ImageBAM April by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

Did a superb 16 miles or so on lots and lots of ST (a lot of it 'devised' by me) - great to have no mud, aiming for BG Cafe but when I got there they were shut so went to the tea rooms just round the corner.

Apparently the BG Cafe were having a well earned day off, as they were frantically busy over Easter.

Just a case of 10 miles or so of 'up and over' to get me nearly home:

A bit more ST:

ImageBarrow Bridge by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

And a bit more just 1 mile from home:
ImageDeakins Clough by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

An excellent outing and home for 3pm before the deluge at 5:45pm

29 miles and 3341 feet
gallowayboy

Post by gallowayboy »

April! So pleased i've got this far and tbh its become a far easier thing; I can decide i'm going, get sorted and pack the bike and be out the door in an hour - and i've ditched the superfluous stuff. This time I set of without a specific spot in mind, just a vague direction (stoodley pike-ish). Found a suitable pitch on Erringdon moor, got the wee tent up and myself into the bag in record time and was asleep in minutes. The whaups and peewits woke me up at about 4.30, so I listened to them, an owl and the breeze gently blowing over the tent until 5.30; got sorted out, had a quick brew and packed the bike up in half an hour and glided down, disturbing a hare and a roe deer, home for breakfast and a quick change into work gear. Looks like I've stolen a lovely night as the weather is breaking down a bit - it really was lovely, calm, clear with a beautiful half moon, though the breeze was getting a bit sharp at sunrise!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Having ticked February and March BAMs off on skinnier bikes/tyres, I returned to the fat side this week for April’s outing. I started in Banchory in Aberdeenshire and spent three days (with two night’s camping) exploring towards the west in the Forest of Birse and Glen Tanar. The weather was pretty changeable throughout (sun, wind, mist and rain at various times) but at least the worst of the rain had the decency to wait until just after I’d finished. I also encountered a few midge scouting parties, paving the way for hordes of their pals who’ll be making their presence felt all too soon.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

April done.

Just as Storm Hannah arrived probably wasn't the best time to go for a bivvy, but I survived (including the tarp collapsing when the peg supporting the pole guyline pulled out of the ground at 2:30am - I don't think I've ever jumped out of a sleeping bag quite so quickly).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwv87S_lGaV/

Next stop was the Cotic bikes spring party, where I successfully snagged coffee, trail snacks, beer and some mudguards. Then back up the hill, and a tailwind assisted whoosh home.

2019 BAM 4/4
2019 total bivvies 4
Current streak (months) 5
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Landslide wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:11 pm (including the tarp collapsing when the peg supporting the pole guyline pulled out of the ground at 2:30am - I don't think I've ever jumped out of a sleeping bag quite so quickly).
I think I would have reacted exactly the same!