Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by TheBrownDog »

Took the Vagabond on its maiden bikepacking voyage
That's a nice set up on the V'bond mate. That Lomo seat bag looks the biz ... how BIG is that thing?

Re something to stop the cable compression, what about one of these (linky below) Ive had one for years and have used it to both hang a bar bag from, but mostly to keep the bag up and give the cables some room. Run it under the stem of course, which would raise your bars about 20mm if you rammed it.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... -anodized/
I'm just going outside ...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Having missed Feb's (does dossing in a sports store room count?) we decided to head over to the Lakes for a trip.

Parked up at Blawith (pronounced "Blaath" for you non-Cumbrians) and headed over Blawith Fells towards Torver.

Taking the steep road up on to Torver Common Cath announces that her shoe has broken! The fastening is a plastic strap and buckle with a ratchet mechanism and the plastic strap has pulled out of its fabric holder. Fortunately I've some zip ties, even more fortunately a passing motorist turns round and asks if we need any help and he's some big zip ties :-bd

On through the woods to Stephenson Ground. This bit is on last year's JennRide route and Cath is giving it some beans.

From Stephenson Ground we headed up and over to the Newfield Inn at Seathwaite (Pronounced "Seeth'ut" :wink: ). I'd never done these bridleways before but knew that the descent was quite technical.

After some refreshment in the pub it was the next climb of the day, getting up the track past Wallowbarrow (wallabarra) Crag. This gains nearly as much height as the last descent but in a quarter of the distance - it's steep!

Then it was on the BW round past Harter Fell and down to the foot of Hardknott Pass. This bit is on this year's JennRide but in reverse. Many might have a few choice words when they get back to Staveley!

In to Boot and some food at the Boot Inn. Then up and along the Corpse Road towards Burnmoor Tarn. Darkness fell as we got to the top of the initial steep bit but we walked most of it. Near the top we noticed a light over the horizon and soon another mountain biker dropped down to us. He was reccying the full JennRide and was due to meet Rich Munroe in the pub so we'd just missed him. He reckoned that the western loop out to Wasdale was a real tough section of riding.

We bivvied by the side of the fishing/hunting lodge by the tarn. Quite windy but in the morning it turned out there wasn't that much flat ground around.

Our return journey took us down Miterdale but there was a bit of hike-a-bike to get to the track. This started out fairly benignly but Cath had done it before and knew it grew teeth. It's not the actual bridleway but it's the obvious track on the ground.

As you rode on the ground to the left got steeper and a lot further to the bottom. The track was also sunken so there was a constant struggle to avoid pedal strike. Eventually my nerves gave in.

Eventually it eased and it became a vehicle track so Cath fell off! Down in Eskdale Green we decided to head back via the road as our original route via Devoke Water is tussock hell. Not one big road climb (Ulpha Fell) but two, Kiln Bank.

More easy road then one last climb to reach the bridleway leading back to Blawith. Only 70km in total but 2000m of climbing!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

With only a few days left before leaving for the long drive home from France, I loaded my bike up with overnight kit, then Sue and I drove up into the hills for a final evening ride and to get the March bivvy in.
We rode for a couple of hours and got back to the car as dusk was falling. I’d failed to talk her into accompanying me so she headed off back in the car and I rode off to a suitable spot I knew, with a sneaky bag of pizza and breakfast pastries I’d left in the car.
I was right in the middle of prime wild boar hunting territory, but it’s supposed to be close season and it gave me a nice shooting platform to eat my food on.

ImageSunrise

ImageUnexpected Ice

Woke up to a lovely morning after a quiet but chilly night, scoffed the pastries, packed up and set off following random tracks with no particular hurry in vaguely the right direction for home and packing.
3/3
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

3/3 for Fraser and l. Grabbed a quick hit BaM near Dingwall on way up A9 for a family trip to Orkney. Hoping to grab April BaM on Orkney.
BaM 2021
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

March done, 3/3. A 30 mile circular route this weekend in Southern Perthshire, near where my folks live. Lots of great gamekeeper trails to follow taking me into the hills. Fantastic weather both days, but an overnight freeze led to a restless sleep due to awfy cold toes. I was up and away early this morning to get the blood circulating again.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Prepped for tonight
https://flic.kr/p/2dZek9D
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

3/12 27 in a row :-bd

With luck the weekend started with a shorter drive from Birmingham rather than London,by half six i was at the West Arms in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog,after finding a quiet lane to park the van i headed down to the pub. I was greeted by a rather eclectic crowd from all corners of the cycling world many of which i never knew existed, Reg would have actually blended in!
Many beers were consumed ( i blame Alexpalacefan) and the slideshow was interesting, some great old photos in one or two people actually were riding bikes, HAB was just as popular 100 years ago.
Friday night was bloody cold in the back of the van, i had a beer blanket, the winter bag, extra clothes and still suffered.

Morning came none too soon and there assembled the most diverse array of bikes ever seen, vintage stuff through to modern carbon wonder bikes, after photos and the usual faffing we were off up Wayfarers.

After a long hot climb we finally reached the memorial, speeches were made and photos taken.

After the descent we headed into Corwen where the organised went for a pub lunch as a warm up for the evenings 3 course affair,I settled for a more traditional bikepacking lunch of a pasty and ice cream :-bd
The organised ride was a planed road loop so while scoffing i looked at the maps and decided that clocaenog forest looked like a suitable candidate,Highly recommended, lots of fast gravel tracks and i didn't see another soul.

Ignoring conventional wisdom i decided that after the previous cold night bivvying next to lake Brenig would be a great idea,

At the end of this track i spied a building, hmm nice lake....could be a cafe :YMPARTY: It was and still was but very much a cafe that had closed half an hour ago X_X

I headed off down the lake shore which surprisingly was rideable on 2.4" tyres looking for a shelter bivvy site as the wind was up.

Sunday morning dawned cold and misty with a cruel headwind,dark clouds looming with the threat of rain, heading up wayfarers with only a thin wind jacket was not a sensible option.
After a long push ride against the brutal wind i topped out cold and tired.

Got back to the West Arms too late for breakfast but did have the worlds best sausage roll :-bd
great weekend will definitely be back for the 200th anniversary bash :???:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bob, love that you went out on your susser while Cath took a rigid bike
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

benp1 wrote:Bob, love that you went out on your susser while Cath took a rigid bike
It happened to have the pedals on at the moment andCarth doesn't have a susser.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
postierich

Post by postierich »

Cath is hardcore must have just missed you Bob got to the Woolpack at 7pm should have rode down to Boot :-( Was going to camp at Hardknott but it was a bit claggy so headed up to Dunnerdale after beers and Pizza, great spot for a camp! up and over full Walna Scar for breeccy in Coniston on the Sunday
https://www.relive.cc/view/2255856741
Image56567348_10157303374286474_8880120471056547840_n by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Image56184189_10157303374791474_8067176796505767936_n by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Image55686700_10219027384976045_8156866837611544576_n by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Image55932407_10157303374886474_2528681095239565312_n by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Not my pic but you will get to see this on this years Jennride
Image56119983_10219027372775740_4712953070865088512_n by Richard Munro, on Flickr
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Last edited by SeannyD on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Blimey where did March go??

Didn't think I was going to make that. Squeezed in a cheeky bivvi out on the local coast path 2 miles from home. Alarm set for 5am to get home to bake today's batch of sourdough before going to the day job...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvs7RuKDnFj/

Not a bad nights sleep considering...

Si
mountainposture

Post by mountainposture »

Joolze and I just got ours in for March. That’s 3/3 for us.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Snook March in just - Got a phone call at 3am from my uncle - At first I thought he was drunk but soon realised he was having a stroke - 999 and the fastest pack away ever.

3/3
RIP

Post by RIP »

Blimey, top work there. Not nice getting those type of calls in the middle of the night, and indeed in the middle of nowhere.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Managed to get my March bivy in a couple of weeks back in the snow to make it 3/3. Plans were made but changed on the fly. Headed out from Blair Atholl on the Saturday morning with the precipitation in full flow.

Made our way up the Gaick as the snow blew in our faces to warn us off.

As we headed down from the top of the pass, my buddy Jon's choice of Sealskinz socks as foot waterproofing began to backfire and I rejigged plans to get him fed and warmed at Loch Insh

Once thawed out I came up with an alternative route that would have plenty of walking the following day to keep his feet warm. First we needed to head to Ruigh Aiteachain and see how the renovations shaped up (Very nice, as it turned out).

The following morning we headed up Glen Feshie.

The snow came and went in blizzards as we got to the watershed and crossed the Eidart.

Next up was lots of wading through snow which was enjoyably hard work.

Eventually, the going got better.

Next up, we crossed the Geldie and headed back down Glen Tilt to our start point.

Full write up at http://highlanddrifter.com/bam-2019-march for those who want to read more ramblings...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Chapeau fella.
I'm just going outside ...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Epic ride there!

Pictures from my first solo bivvy (making 5 ever bivvys)

Image20190405_174027 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Got my BAM in nice and early with a MASSIVE thank you to JC and summittoppler for helping me out with so so many questions being answered. Jeff sorted me out a killer route...almost literally, and JohnClimber for giving me en route text support and a loan of a light that I became extremely dependent on.

This is the supplied route;

ImageScreen Shot 2019-04-06 at 18.28.03 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

I rode to that from Tal Y Bont up this;

ImageScreen Shot 2019-04-06 at 18.09.21 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Then pushed the last bit as i was dripping with sweat.

I then seen this;

Image20190405_183138 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Image20190405_184837 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

I didn't think I'd have a snow issue....

This happened time after time;

Image20190405_203750 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Then this (route went awol);

Image20190405_204444 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

I shuffled across this trying not to think about falling. I thought about falling. A lot.

Image20190405_210837 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Then this happened after 100,000 lifts of the bike over gates;

Image20190405_214630 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Up to the top to camp out at Ffynon Llugwy and lost my foot in knee deep snow, got blown around for 20 minutes at after 10pm trying to find a spot to pitch....

Then this happened;

ImageScreen Shot 2019-04-06 at 18.36.14 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Then this;

Image20190405_234749 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Then this;

Image20190406_060117 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

And this too;

Image20190406_065009 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

And I was like;

Image20190406_072808 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

And when i finished this happened to my face;

Image20190406_124215 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

I'm sorry for all the pictures, this was my first solo bivvy. I didn't panic when I got to the top and there was so much snow, I just adopted plan b which was wing it until there's a plan c. The pitch was waiting for my just by the A5, perfect tarp sized flat bit.

Things i learnt on my 4th bivvy this year (5 over all)

*Take more water
*There's lots of sheep so purifying said water is a no go
*I can eat a packet of bourbon biscuits
*I didn't take 8oz of whiskey
*When it goes wrong, it's fun
*I don't give up easilly
*Exposure lights are great - I should buy one
*People have a lot of time for me being a n00b with bike packing
*I meet more people out on my bike with bags rather than my road bike
*Hand Warmers in a down jacket pockets keep me warm
*my bike maxed out a park tools weighamajig in work at more than 60lbs
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Its good to see you survived. It's good up there init?
Nice write up btw
:-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yes mate, it's bloody great! Thanks for the verbal thumbs up too :)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done @EscapeGoat...mate. ur wellard.

Managed to get me 2nd bam2019... for april obviously. Managed to raise almost 300 quid for my children/orphans charity fundraiser in the meanwhile too midride...

So departed on Saturday at 1630 and the plan was to recce the full route (230 miles with 12000ft elevation which is happening in a couple more weeks).

Armed with my road bike (canyon ultimate) and 600phd bag and borah bivi and thermarest yellow mat, I left behind a few things like coffee as I only had/took a 17L saddlepack, Wapha 1L toptube bag and the Alpamayo frame bag.

I made okish progress but slow. At 50 miles in I got offers from a Derby lad to come and stay over. Told him I need to not stay over as I need to crack on -he wouldn't get why I wanted to sleep in his garden anyhow- and earn a badge. He said I already had 3 badges (them softish Wapha Festive500 ones). So I explained that this was a hardmans badge that I was trying for and would take 12 months total :-bd

Got as far as Hardwick Hill (50 miles or so in) by about 2200 or before. But the plan was to do at least 110 of the total 230 before biviying. Came 0200 and I was still only at the 80 mile mark so settled on a bivi at Poppy Wood, The National Forest. Low flying planes kept disturbing me in my slidy borah big whilst I tried to balance it on the air mat. Planes came every 15 minutes I believe and pretty sure I got some good pics at the time but now when I came to open earlier last night thwy were just pics of black with one blob of light filtered through (cycling lads thought I had dreamt it all up!).

Came 0530 and having had dribs and drabs of sleep for around 3 hours, I decided to get up, pray Fajar (early morn prayers after eashih of arms/face etc), eat and get going. Had a cuppa ginger tea and my readyBrek/weetabix for which I'd acquired milk towards the end of the first night...

So early Saturday at 0630, having only covered 82 of a 230 mile route, I departed with 150 miles (to go) showing in my Wahoo screen. Going was slow and instead alot of faffing meant that by the time my BB (thankfully) started showing obvious signs that it could give up soon, I decided to ditch the final climb in the chilterns. To be fair, all i was thinking of was evening lunch of which there had been talk that it would be served (to pay I would later) at 1930.

https://strava.app.link/zRtA1aiwHV

https://strava.app.link/yQ3GAPfwHVy

Now over 160 miles (total) and 10500ft in my legs, I duely decided to grab train from Leighton Buzzard and kindly had one of the telegram lads make me a route from Euston Station to the masjid in Palmers Green (he kindly added Swaines Lane (one of the few decent climbs in Landan) so I wouldnt feel too guilty of ditching that final Chilterns climb).

https://strava.app.link/kxKXVRcwHV

Got to the venure for the club ride next day. Ate enough food for 3 people (or was it 4) and was thinking I might have probs in the night or tummy upset but no... Slept like a log inside thw bivvy which I laid over the hard floor and PHD bag. Awoke at early morning prayers time whilst the Muazzin (the caller for prayer) made the announcement over loud speaker. Only me and 3 other lads had been staying over the night (other posh gets obviously needed a bed so had booked a hotel somewhere closeby... only a few lads mind you) so I awoke from my amazing 6 hour deep sleep and asked the lads if I'd been making any threatening or wierd mentions during my sleep (apparently I do that after many nursing night shifts - when I've been sleep deprived and lagged -or so the missus tells me) but no they said. Duely mentioned this to the missus later who told me it must be cos I was super relaxed!!

So after morning prayer we had another few hours kip, got ready for the ride to depart at 9am by removing ubdoing Earnies bags and as much stuff as I could get off of him. Thought that I shouldn't have breakkie to allow food digesting and being ready for lunch (since my last nights ginormous meal) but ended up having a few sundries anyway (thankfully). Ride came and went and I ended up being the last one out on the roads. 45 miler of which by the time there was 20 left I was smashed (not me but my right knee had started giving me gyp whilst the Dura Ace BB had held together -now on 5700 miles accoridng to my Strava info). Appropriately made a telegram group please for support vehucle to come rescue me and tightened the knee with a few ways of which the best pne was the Gorilla Tape from my pump wrapping. Support never came of which I was glad as I had started looking at my 'dont be soft" badge. Grabbed some pain killers and appropriately made it back at a limping 12mph

https://strava.app.link/dgciTW9vHV

Back to the masjid for 3 mens worth of food, then await the train times back home of which I am on now

https://strava.app.link/dgciTW9vHV
https://strava.app.link/qUUpEf7vHV

BAM April done.. 10 more to Endure/enjoy/smile through :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Epic mate!! Well done!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks EG... btw (not sure if I'd have anything of interest but) you're also welcome to any of my gear in the meanwhile whilst you get yourself all sorted over the years/years. Remember, by quality and buy once... buy crappy (dont assume that expensive means quality) and keep buying over and over.

When I initially started getting gear I made a few threads on here for real world reviews... one was regards forks (and i got the Prongs which I do so love dearly) and the othwr was 'to see' lights and I ended up with the MTBbatts Lumenator (again which I do so love dearly)... Wish he'd had some nicer designs though but thats just me being silly. Epic gear is just epic innit
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hi All,

In response to a few posts:
oldstrath wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:40 am Zippy, did you miss my (admittedly very short) post that I'd be down Feshie in March?
I had! Thanks for spotting that - sorry! I've got you jotted down on my spreadsheet now.
frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:11 pm I know I haven't formally declared my 2019 BAM campaign, but I'm in (again) anyway.
You're fine, I have you down for Jan/Feb/March.
whitestone wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:44 pm Having missed Feb's (does dossing in a sports store room count?) we decided to head over to the Lakes for a trip.
I think this is your first official posted Bivvy on the 2019 BAM thread.?
summittoppler wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:21 pm I'll post this here but I'm out of the 'official' BAM as my Feb one was a paid for jobby at the Eigiau cottage even though the setting was s[pot on.
I think this is your first reported Bivvy on the BAM 2019 thread. I’ll tot you down for March as it can go towards the stats…!?

Onto some stats (as of 08/04/2019 13:00)

I have the following starting in March:
• Javatime
• redefined_cycles
• Pickers
• Johnnystorm
• summittoppler*
• whitestone*

*=tbc, I may have missed something.

There have been 41 reported Bivvy’s in March, with a total of 30 people who have managed Jan, Feb and March sequentially in 2019.

Now I need to learn how to get dynamic cell selection on pivot table reports….

Cheers All.