Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gallowayboy

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by gallowayboy »

:grin: Yeah well, I chose the spot for accessibility, and it is nice, but the microclimate bit kind of got forgotten about! Live and learn...
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Well, back to square one here. March bivvy done on Cannock Chase with Reg, MaM and the others. A really good couple of days riding, not been there for a looooong time so effectively all new to me.

Second E-bike BaM but the first one with company and charging up en-route. This was of course the only reason that the six of us spent an extraordinarily long time in the pub....
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Pickers wrote:Well, back to square one here. March bivvy done on Cannock Chase with Reg, MaM and the others. A really good couple of days riding, not been there for a looooong time so effectively all new to me.

Second E-bike BaM but the first one with company and charging up en-route. This was of course the only reason that the six of us spent an extraordinarily long time in the pub....
I think that may be a lie pickers ,we spent that long in the pub trying to match your consumption of them there pints :lol:
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

March BaM 3/3 , where do I begin..drove the 1hr20m down to Stu's ( MaM) for the stafford meet up, Arried just after 9 , met with a cheery welcome and an exited Guinness the dog ( so adorable). Geared up and off we set , only gone 2mins and shouted " hold on Stu I've left backpack in van "....DOH....back on the canal for the ride up to Cannock Chase we were having a good old natter and looking at the variety of project cycles and burnt out scooters left or had been dragged out the canal...then after a few miles of smooth surface it changed to grassy dried thorny towpath.......and so it began..
PPPHHHSSSTTT 1st puncture (its ok I"ve got 3 spare tubes as Stu did warn of the surface) I was on my ramin 3+ which in 18mths of having it never had a flat..until now.....what a BA***RD getting tyres off the rim, got spare out, unfolded it and thought "Eh" to which Stu said " is that going to fit" the tube had a schrader not presta fitting and would'nt fit the rim. ( I had ordered 3 presta 650b+ innertubes online in sale , and put them in cupboard when arrived, put in framebag when packing) only now did I notice 2 were schrader and 1 a presta, my fault for not checking. So to save the only good tube ( no patches with me) cut one of the tubes to make a patch.. job done , BA***RD tyre back on rim , ready to go , looked down and saw a small twig on tyre so pulled it,,,,,,,PPPHHHSSSTTT the tyre went down again.. another fight with the tyre and rim, another patch cut , Stu lent me his mini track pump as better than my mini hand pump for big tube... off we went to meet Reg , Paul and Pickers at the mtb centre cafe...BUT ...the patches were'nt holding air and had to keep stopping en route to put air in ( I'm going to have arms like Popeye with all the pumping) only had to reach the cafe to change tube and buy more from the onsite bike shop..
Finally got to the cafe and found the bike shop closed...damn...sort it after a brew and some food....met the others and greetings , pleasantries said went out to sort the front tyre. Everyone was standing chatting as I got my good innertube out to which I just stood there laughing to myself " whats wrong" asked Stu........"well.....that tube I cut up for patches was the only good one" I felt like something off the chuckle brothers..... Thats when Reg stepped in with the aid of those sticky patch things which worked and Pickers for the use of his tyre levers as mine were now knackered and got me up and riding again.
We had a blast going round the mtb trails for a bit, first time I've done a trail centre loaded with luggage....it was fun...
Went back to the cafe late afternoon were we had more brew and food then met up with Paramart who took us round more trails at the centre , really enjoyed it.........then on our last ride down my front tyre was losing air slowly and was really skittish going down a red run , I was at the back and pulled up to put air in tyre with my little pump , Pickers came to help with his mini track pump but to no avail I needed a new tube...we were only 500 metres from the cafe so I got off the trail up onto the main road , walk of shame back to cafe....at the cafe Paramart ( thanks) gave me one of his spare tubes , so another fight with the tyre and rim ( Stu, Paramart and myself , all wrestling with it ) and there was another bike shop at the place we were going for brekky in the morning.. sorted..... so off to the pub for tea..
The Horns , it was a nice pub although some of the beer a bit sketchy...food was ok ....more beers .. then Mart turned up after he had finished work.....more beers....which turned into a beer glass stacking / jenga style ornament on the table which Mart was going to balance on one finger...to the shouts of ...NO !!..
It was around 11pm when we left the pub , got the bikes .........Not again !!!!! ... this time rear wheel flat....only me on carpark trying to put air in it to get me to bivi spot about 500 yards away...nope flat as a witches t*t....so started walking then Paramart came ans walked with me showing the shortcut across the field..by this time I'd had it with the bike..it was one of those trips that what could go wrong , did.
Got to the bivi spot which was at the Go-Ape centre under one of their outdoor classrooms which was on decking and had a roof....had a good nights kip under the large picnic tables, woke up got the stove going for brew n porridge.
Packed up and then just stared at the back wheel...here we go again...Paramart to the rescue with his last spare , Pickers with the levers and Stu with his pump.....all I had to do was get to the bike shop not far away..before we set off I checked I had everything , looked to see how much cash I had ....£13.75.... its ok got bank card in rucksack for bike shop....now were is it...couldnt find it ...so text the wife ...is bank card there, to which she replied " yes its in kitchen" ...AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH.......quick thinking I said send me picture of card front and back ,I will see if bike shop can use it as an online type transaction......sorted
Off we all set for another little ride round the trail centre before 2nd brekky.....then after brekky go for more riding.....
Got to chase cafe for food and waited for bike shop to open hopeful to get tubes for Paramart and myself.. ...nice guys at the bike shop were just opening up when we arrived so I explained my situation and could he use the photo details of bank card to buy the tubes....." sorry problem wirh the online style shopping can't do it at the moment and only have one innertube you require"......certainly not my day again....so I bought the tube to give to Paramart so he had a spare and deciced to ride back to Stu's ( MaM) abour 16 road miles away (safer on tarmac)where my van was rather than risk anymore trailside disasters..I said my farewells and thanked everyone for their help and generousity on this very eventfull trip...it was a really good bam ,the ride and trails were great..
A big thanks to you all for :-
Stu (Mam), for the use of his driveway and pump and wrestling skills with tyres.
Paramart , for the giving up his spare tubes and also his wrestling tyre skills and for showing us round his local trail centre.
Pickers, for keep getting his tyre levers out.
Reg , for the patches.
Paul and Mart it was good to meet you both..

This was a learning curve on when things go wrong and am not prepared properly for what can happen , but also the willingness of others to help out . I hope I can repay this sometime..
Sorry if it felt like you were being held up all the time. .
Thanks. Gary.
Last edited by gazaddy on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Not a problem Gaz we all have those days ,hope the wife and dog didn't drive you menta whenl she gave you a brew ,they are both as bad as each other ,goes some way to explaining the way I am =))
RIP

Post by RIP »

Was sorry we couldn't have helped you more Gaz - you certainly had a real run of bad luck there :sad: . Anyway, good excuse for a re-match sometime!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

middleagedmadness wrote:Not a problem Gaz we all have those days ,hope the wife and dog didn't drive you menta whenl she gave you a brew ,they are both as bad as each other ,goes some way to explaining the way I am =))
Thanks to your mrs for the coffee and the dog even more giddy..had a good ride back to yours following the NCR5 route through Walsall , it was ok and no drama.. thanks again mate.
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

RIP wrote:Was sorry we couldn't have helped you more Gaz - you certainly had a real run of bad luck there :sad: . Anyway, good excuse for a re-match sometime!
Thanks Reg a pleasure meeting you and in the slogan of a well known supermarket ' every little helps' your little patches helped a lot.. .
Rematch sounds good.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Gaz ... bugger me backwards but that was fun reading. Kinda felt I was there with you because who hasn't been there?

But, like, are you seriously telling me that you bivvied at the Cannock Chase Go Ape tables? Respect bruff... *

* I'm a fat bald old man but I have teenaged kids and I like to think I'm down with them ... that's what they say.
I'm just going outside ...
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BAM for March - done. 3/3, 51/51

I know I haven't formally declared my 2019 BAM campaign, but I'm in (again) anyway.

For this month I had set my sights on the Peak District but my Lady is poorly sick with rheumatism, so I wasn't happy to be hours away from home. I opted for a fairly local bivvy on the canal near Llangollen. Started from home at 6 o'clock-ish. Rode to the Bridge End pub in Ruabon, where by chance I met a chum from work. 1 pint and a chat, then down to pick up the towpath at Trevor Basin. An easy 5 miles got me to Llangollen where, after a couple of G&Ts in the Wine Bar, I bought a chicken kebab wrap for supper. Back to the towpath, retrace path to a place I'd noted on the way up
Check this baby out.....

Then bed...
...for a jolly good (if stinky) sleep after beer and gin and the 8 ounces of port I'd brought as a nightcap :grin: Stinky because I'd pitched up in a bed of wild garlick.

Morning view from bed...

Back home for lunchtime.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

TheBrownDog wrote:Gaz ... bugger me backwards but that was fun reading. Kinda felt I was there with you because who hasn't been there?

But, like, are you seriously telling me that you bivvied at the Cannock Chase Go Ape tables? Respect bruff... *

* I'm a fat bald old man but I have teenaged kids and I like to think I'm down with them ... that's what they say.
Yes mate all 7 of us on the floor or under the tables
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

frogatthefarriers wrote:Stinky because I'd pitched up in a bed of wild garlick.
Ha! Nice one.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Landslide wrote:
frogatthefarriers wrote:Stinky because I'd pitched up in a bed of wild garlick.
Ha! Nice one.
If only I'd taken some eggs. Ransoms 'n egg for breakfast. Perfect. Perfect for smelly ovens in bed later too :lol:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Gary,
On BB200 2018 I had ~12 punctures (lost count in the end), problem being “only” had three spare tubes. Had to stop multiple times “just” to repair inner tubes.

I am now tubeless.

To be fair, in summer I attract ticks (ask stu) and in winter punctures.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

March has been a busy month doing a few less wildernessy things which left me hankering for a mental recovery ride.

The boss had decided we should drink our way into Brexit but Thursday looked like a beaut evening so I left the bike bags in a colleague's car whilst we had dinner (Italians are used to people dining in bike clothing).

At 8pm I strapped the bags back on, relieved to fine EmVee still locked to the post where I left her.

I followed Landsley's route through Eccleshall wood (pink line on Garmin tougher than following a wheel) and up onto the Eastern Moors.

There was quite a chilly headwind on the moor so I added windproofs and gloves and watered the heather with a pint of fine Italian bierra before bailing over to Frogatt as I suddenly had a pang of guilt surrounding going back to work on Friday.

When I rounded the hillside above the crag the wind dropped so I contemplated a few heathery hollows before deciding the traffic noise in the valley was a bit much for a satisfying bivi. Nothing reinforced this more than the sound of a car alarm going off so I moved along. The closer I could get to houndkirk, the easier for my morning commute.

By midnight though, snoozies kicked in, despite the engaging boulder-hopping so I pushed away from the Edge to some trees. 2 pairs of eyes blinked back at my light. A pair of deer.

We shared a moment before I chucked my bivi down and set to sleep straight away. It was cold and not pretty so I promised to try harder in the morning Image

I thought I'd packed a bit light so shivered through for 2 hours before finally getting up for another wee. When I got back to my bag it suddenly seemed a lot warmer and I slept 2.5 hrs to alarm at 4.30am. Hit the snooze button to enjoy the warm a bit longer.

I was rewoken at 5am by grouse barking and the blush of sunrise on the moor.

I mostly packed before remembering my bivipic

It was tempting to brew up sat in my bag but there was no hardstanding and a lot of dry grass so over to the edge for breakfast "on the rocks" I watched the temperature inversion sloshing up and down the valley.

The unpleasant morning surprise was finding I hadn't washed up since Februbivi so the first brew was washing up water to disinfect the ti mug. Ew.Image

I also found a pair of heat packs in my frame bag so those kept my toes warm whilst I made breakfast. Very satisfying.

The ride home went via Longshaw and Houndkirk then the Mayfield valley. Just a few lucky dog walkers out so that was definitely the best rush-hour commute I've ever done. It was nice to be going flat to the office where I would normally have another valley to do to get home.

At 8.30 I was sat on the pavement in the city retrieving my D-lock but the progress along the canal to work got a bit slow. Still, at my desk by 10am. I'm not sure my productivity was any good but hey, they owe me.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Finally pulled my finger out and started BAM for 2019.

Made a point of riding some trail close by that for some reason had never actually ridden. Great feeling "lost" when so close to home! :lol: Guestimated bivi spot was a bramble jungle so we diverted to Ashby Church to use the non-grave side of the churchyard. It can only be accessed over bridleways so was nice & quiet. Woken by bird song and a pootle home in the sun. Magic. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice little toddle out there Trep. Still a bit nippy at the end of March by the looks of it up there :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I was starting to get rather jealous of peoples posts here and started to worry a little weather if I'd get out!

Me and JC headed out for about 55 ish miles round trip or whatever it was to Ashurst Beacon last night. Got to camp at 11.30pm

ImageIMG_20190330_145148_533 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190330_145256_531 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Image20190330_105428 by Escape Goat, on Flickr\

Image20190330_075147-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Image20190330_001359 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Image20190329_231706-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Things i learned from this trip (as it's my 4th ever);

dont sleep in clothes you've cycled in as I was cold even with a warm bag!
remember bivvy bag
i'm a little too long for my tarp pitch idea

Not long till the WRT now!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I'll post this here but I'm out of the 'official' BAM as my Feb one was a paid for jobby at the Eigiau cottage even though the setting was s[pot on.

As i get an early dart on a Friday I packed up the shire horse and headed for deepest darkest Snowdonia. I had a fair bit of hike a bike but I knew the reward was going to be spectacular views of the Snowdon Horseshoe, well according to Google Earth that is. The weather gods were on my side with clear skies but a cold breeze.
ImageIMG_20190329_161405_484 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Moel Siabod in the background
Image20190329_175646 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Looking out to Snowdon
Image20190329_175748 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Goodbye sun
Image20190329_181232 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190329_183627 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190329_191735 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190330_061332 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Snowdon in morning sun
Image20190330_064023 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Selfie time!
Image20190330_113433 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190330_091057 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190330_113530 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Apologies for the amount of pics! but damn that was mighty fine!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Asposium wrote:Gary,
On BB200 2018 I had ~12 punctures (lost count in the end), problem being “only” had three spare tubes. Had to stop multiple times “just” to repair inner tubes.

I am now tubeless.

To be fair, in summer I attract ticks (ask stu) and in winter punctures.
It was a bit of a faff, my fault and bad luck...tubeless looking like the next step .. never done it before..mmmmm
psling

Post by psling »

summittoppler wrote:
Moel Siabod in the background
Image20190329_175646 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
Lovely bivvy pitch that summittoppler :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

3/3 BaM 2019 (just squeezed it in before the month)

35th in a row

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

psling wrote:
Lovely bivvy pitch that summittoppler :-bd
Thank you, defo one to re-visit :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

3/3

After last months defection to the Chilterns back to home for a Surrey Hills loop. Took the Vagabond on its maiden bikepacking voyage which resulted in a swap around from my usual set up to accommodate the drops. Wet and cooking bag on the bars, dry sleeping gear and clothes in the seat pack. This required a departure from my wildcat set up and using a larger lomo seat pack and alpkit double end dry bag on the bars. The gears were effected by the bag pressing on the cables so need a spacer of some kind to improve clearance. Uneventful trip other than I pitched my tarp over some really thorny scrub so had to strike and re pitch and then a leak in the front this morning. Although I could see the sealant coming out I couldn’t see any noticeable hole to plug. Whilst messing around I managed to shear the tubeless valve off in the pump so replaced with a tube to get me home. Unfortunately I did leave a trace - spilt sealant so I pee’ed on it and roughed up the ground a bit and took someone else’s discarded bottle home with me. 59 miles and back home in time to assist the children with Mother’s Day.

https://i.imgur.com/nEP8cTW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NUqfnWn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iaFY3Dp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XhESWbB.jpg
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Phew - got out last night/this morning. March sortof conspired against me, despite having a few free weekends and not a great deal actually planned, things just happened. Got out last night and cycled about 40 minutes away to a local sea wall - it was quite warm and there was a bit of wind when I pitched up - handy to keep the ticks away as the previous week they were crawling all over the dog when we took her this way. Settled to sleep nicely, then got rudely awoken with some high winds flapping the tarp about - being lazy I couldn't be bothered to hide on the other side of the sea wall/embankment thing. Anyway, set off a bit after sunrise, but unfortunately the clouds hid what could have been a pretty spectacular view - nevermind.

Anyway, I'm actually still on a roll which is good. (3/3)

090 (31-03-2019) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

https://www.strava.com/activities/2254396375/

I'll update the stats as of March in a few days time.