WWB - Westside story.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

WWB - Westside story.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I say westside because those of us riding from the west never actually made contact with those coming over from the east - I'm sure we'll discover what happened to them later :wink:

Eight foolhardy souls set off straight into some of the worst weather I can recall riding in. Obviously, the Kerry Ridgeway gets battered on all sides by the wind and it didn't let us down. Throw in some freezing rain and sleet and you've got the makings of a great day out.

Our merry band of eight was cut down to four as those with some sense decided to backtrack after a few miles and make alternate plans for the weekend.

By the time the remaining four reached Bishops Castle it was just about dark. A brew from the Spar was most welcome but not as welcome as the pub across the road. We made ourselves at home and settled in. The thought of continuing along the proposed route was dismissed by all present so we had steak pie (NO, a pie has a bottom AND a top man) and another drink.

Bishops Castle is down, the Ridgeway is up. That in itself is potentially bad enough but we now had a 50mph headwind to contend with too. I'd spotted a potential overnight spot earlier and although only ten miles or so from the pub, to me it felt like the longest ten miles I've ever ridden.

With the spot located we set about setting up. It had gone eleven by now but I still felt duty bound to put my tree and lights up.

A very restful night before a cold but dry spin back across the Ridgeway and home ... fortunately, most of the devious and deceptive black ice of yesterday had largely thawed :-bd

Thanks for the company all and I apologise to Winter Bivviers the country over for not picking last weekend :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Re: WWB - Westside story.

Post by psling »

Surely that should be Wetside story!

Respect to all those that took part in the Winter Bivvies; conditions were not ideal :???:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Marvellous :-bd. Love the tree!

And compliments for sticking with some B&W - unless of course that first pic was actually an accurate colour rendition of the scene!
Last edited by RIP on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Thanks to good:
Kit, route, legs, food, beer and company.

Thanks Stu for organising. :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Good stuff!
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thanks for the company all and I apologise to Winter Bivviers the country over for not picking last weekend :wink:
It wasn't much better last weekend. :wink:
paramart

Post by paramart »

welsh WINTER bivvy not lets pick the weather bivvy, great ride and good night out, cheers :-bd
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Definitely the hardest conditions I've ridden in
But a bloody good weekend cheers lads

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Tarp life :wink:
Trying to ride bikes.