Our Highland Trail 550 write up.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Our Highland Trail 550 write up.

Post by Richpips »

Our write up is not overly wordy, but there are plenty of pics, so I've split it over several posts.

Enjoy.

http://minipips.blogspot.com/2018/06/hi ... index.html
ericrobo

Re: Our Highland Trail 550 write up.

Post by ericrobo »

Well done Rich and Tom...

Those midges aren’t half a battle too ! :mrgreen:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Cheers rich that was a nice read , especially well done to your youngfella ,he has some character in him :-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

ericrobo wrote:Well done Rich and Tom...

Those midges aren’t half a battle too ! :mrgreen:
Cheers Eric. It's the first time on the HT that I've had a real issue with them. We took midge nets, but I wish we'd taken some smidge. Last year I took some and didn't use it. Lesson learned eh. :)
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

middleagedmadness wrote:Cheers rich that was a nice read , especially well done to your youngfella ,he has some character in him :-bd
Cheers. He has a can do attitude, and doesn't whinge, unlike his Dad. :)
Bontyrider

Post by Bontyrider »

I really enjoyed reading your inspirational write up, I stand in awe of you both.

What did you both think of the Frontier? I'm especially interested in Toms' thoughts as although he's probably taller than me (I'm almost 5'2" !) He is more likely nearer to my size and weight. While I love my 631 framed Frankencross , I need a bit more than a 35c on the rear and was thinking that these here modern alu frames are supposed to be comfy these days.... And lighter (although I can't find a frame weight for the Frontier) and I'm guessing if I was running B + then frame material wouldn't be a factor...... Possibly.
(I'm a die hard steel fan).
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Bontyrider wrote:I really enjoyed reading your inspirational write up, I stand in awe of you both.

What did you both think of the Frontier? I'm especially interested in Toms' thoughts as although he's probably taller than me (I'm almost 5'2" !) He is more likely nearer to my size and weight. While I love my 631 framed Frankencross , I need a bit more than a 35c on the rear and was thinking that these here modern alu frames are supposed to be comfy these days.... And lighter (although I can't find a frame weight for the Frontier) and I'm guessing if I was running B + then frame material wouldn't be a factor...... Possibly.
(I'm a die hard steel fan).
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I think that the Frontier is a great bikepacking bike. It feels stable loaded. I run mine rigid, and on the HT550 have the tyres inflated hard to avoid pinch flats on the water bars. Not the most comfortable set up, but great handling.

Tom likes his (running a suspension fork) to ride though he thinks that the carbon Transmitter he rode last year was lighter.

Rich
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Decent stretch on the last day :-bd :-bd
That's shocking Kinlochewe loos being locked :o :o
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

padonbike wrote:Decent stretch on the last day :-bd :-bd
Cheers Phil.

We were hoping to escape the midges for at least a short while in the loos.

Wendy at Drumbeg stores said that the council was shutting toilets to save money. I don't know if this was one of the closures?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done gents and a great read to boot. Good to see the OBH is back on track with its welcome to riders as they were a bit shy last year...
Bontyrider

Post by Bontyrider »

Hi Rich and thanks very much for your reply.
That's useful in helping me to decide what's next.

Sarah.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Interesting how you seemed to pick up after day 1, of 62 miles...
Then from there to near Orrin Dam, day 2,
Day 3 you reached Glen Cassley
Day 4 somewhere between Kylescu and Drumbeg
Then day 5 somewhere near Ullapool - that must have been a monster, what time did you stop ?
Day 6 as far as Kinlochewe, is about 58 miles, over very difficult terrain- what time did you camp ?
And then to Camban is about 35 miles... did you start late, and plan to have an ‘easier’ :lol: day ?
And 110 miles on your last day is going some. How was Tom on that? (How were you too ?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

ericrobo wrote:Interesting how you seemed to pick up after day 1, of 62 miles...
Then from there to near Orrin Dam, day 2,
Day 3 you reached Glen Cassley
Day 4 somewhere between Kylescu and Drumbeg
Then day 5 somewhere near Ullapool - that must have been a monster, what time did you stop ?
Day 6 as far as Kinlochewe, is about 58 miles, over very difficult terrain- what time did you camp ?
And then to Camban is about 35 miles... did you start late, and plan to have an ‘easier’ :lol: day ?
And 110 miles on your last day is going some. How was Tom on that? (How were you too ?
Day 5 stopped 10ish
Day 6 50 miles stopped 10ish again
Day 7 50 miles to Camban which was a short day stopped just after 9, though avoiding the midge was key.
Day 8 110 miles, tough, we both decided that we'd have to beat the previous years time though.
Blue Wheeler

Post by Blue Wheeler »

Good work men! The scenery looks stunning and I'm sure the riding was every bit as hard as it looks!! Looking to do this next year in early May when the midges are (hopefully) fewer. Thanks for sharing and amazing effort by your lad :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I said it somewhere else but that seemed to be pretty much the perfect HTR. The right food stops, a good distance each day. These folk racing round it in half the time are missing half the enjoyment :lol:

I'm only left wondering - how long before Tom does it solo and beats you round :shock:
Mart

Post by Mart »

Richpips wrote:
Cheers Phil.

Wendy at Drumbeg stores said that the council was shutting toilets to save money. I don't know if this was one of the closures?
Kinlochewe toilets were open for us, just as well as I wasn't in a good way when we got there after midnight
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Council closure program has been temporarily suspended.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Council closure program has been temporarily suspended.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mart wrote:
Richpips wrote:
Cheers Phil.

Kinlochewe toilets were open for us, just as well as I wasn't in a good way when we got there after midnight
Glad to see your back safe Mart - there were a few concerned dot watchers when you disappeared during that wee storm last week - look forward to the tale!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Finally found time to read the blog entries. Grand stuff :-bd

It was great to see your dots moving steadily towards Tyndrum. It's lovely to feel so happy for two fellow cyclists you don't know in person. Hopefully I/we can change that sometime.
donaldbmcintosh

Post by donaldbmcintosh »

Just read this through. Looks like an amazing ride. Definitely on my bucket list, but think I'll tackle it solo rather than with my 13 year old... bit beyond him just now!

Was pleased to see Samuel B on the finishers list, he said he was thinking of doing it when we spoke during French Divide last year.