St Ives area

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

St Ives area

Post by Mike »

So I'm off to Cornwall in April for 4. I don't know which bike to take yet. Anyone got any good rides in the St Ives area please. Could be road or mtb which ever is best ta
middleagedmadness

Re: St Ives area

Post by middleagedmadness »

Took the MTB to bude last year mate not much about apart from footpaths and needed to get up early to avoid walkers , best day out was at cardinham woods only a little trail center but a couple of goods climbs and the red decent is fun due to being quite slatey on the switch backs good for a few laps
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Nice road riding south of st ives.

Some cheeky mtb on the coast path but pretty exposed in places.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

The coastpath is99% footpath.
So I can't recommend that you ride that on a fast xc bike.
Alternatively ride your fast xc bike or road bike along the coast road from Hayle to portreath-porthtowan-st agnes.
Good little hut with minimal shelter selling, onion soup, coffee, flapjacks, hedgehog icecream. At chapelporth nr st agnes.

Check out the bissoe trail and united downs.
Can be combined in a fair old loop with carn marth, carn brea, tehidy woods and then back on the coast road to hayle and the st ives.
There are some trail bike trails on united downs (st day, carharrack) which the locals will let you ride in exchange for flapjacks.
Cornwall freeriders on facebook.
Grubby little urchin.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd kumquat
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

Around St Just / Cape Cornwall there are lots of old mine working tracks that are good for exploring and you can ride around to Botallack and the cliff-top mine buildings. You can also ride from Porthtowan around to Chapelporth and to St Agnes Head - there's some fantastic exposed sections, as well as old mine working to explore. I've ridden a fair bit of coastpath in the off-season and rarely encountered problems with walkers, who are more often surprised that someone's daft enough to ride. Weapon of choice would be a CX bike as its easy to carry and easy to mix-up road/track and trail. The coast path from St Ives to St Gurnard's Head isn't really rideable - too overgrown / multiple stiles, likewise Portreath to Porthtowan as there's lots of steps. A German cyclist did come a cropper near Lands End - he slipped on wet grass and went over the cliff, so best take unfamiliar areas with caution.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

My BIL lives in Quintrell Downs and runs Newquay Velo, he's a chef so works split shifts and goes out quite a bit on his 'cross bike. Bissoe is a good shout and Ricci has a cafe there with bike memorabilia. The old clay pits and cycle trails are nice for a few hours messing about. Cross or mountainbike would be my choice as the roads are usually covered in crap. I'll put you in touch with him if you want, he'd be happy to show you round.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Oh that would be great!! Cheers Duncan let me know if you need my details to pass to him or pm me ta :-bd
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Mike, It's worth stopping at Cardinham Woods at Bodmin on the way down. As a small trail centre I really like it and the cafe is in a fantastic location.
No-where near as big as the Welsh ones but to me that's part of its charm
I've not found it but there's a 'hidden' red climb on the way around that's a real lung buster by all accounts (if you can get up it) and likewise with the subsequent descent.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

rufus748 wrote: I've not found it but there's a 'hidden' red climb on the way around that's a real lung buster by all accounts (if you can get up it) and likewise with the subsequent descent.
its signposted....

climb is a bit of a bastard but the descent is fun.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

jam bo wrote: its signposted....
I know, but I always miss it :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Mike wrote:So I'm off to Cornwall in April for 4.
Why is this? Image
Mike

Post by Mike »

My folks have booked a cottage zippy on the harbour and I'm spending 4 days with them but I will need a release for a few hrs :lol: so biking it is!! I mean what else is there to do when away more fun than riding now :-bd