The Northumbrian: 200km bikepacking route.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

The Northumbrian: 200km bikepacking route.

Post by padonbike »

A write up of the creation of, and the final reccie of what may be a new bikepacking route that I've been pondering for some time.

https://padonbike.wordpress.com/2017/10 ... ing-route/

https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ojhbsctxcunnwpuj
Bearbonesnorm

Re: The Northumbrian: 200km bikepacking route.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That looks cracking Philip and the weather looks almost Welsh ... an additional bonus :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Great write up, I really enjoyed that as I know much of the area. I'd say you are right about the West to East option in the Cheviots due to the prevailing winds. I've often looked at the routes through the Otterburn army ranges but never got round to doing any. Access times can be found here -
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ring-times
The pub at Alwinton only serves food at lunch time and early evening, 12-2 and 5-7 I think.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Ace! Will have a proper read of this later but it'd be rude for me NOT to have a crack at that route some time!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice one. I wondered what Stew was up to on his Strava feed :grin:

Is the only soft ground that between the Roman Camp at Chew Green over Windy Gyle and Clennel Street down to Alwinton? Looks like most of the rest is on forestry tracks and similar. I've ridden bits around Alwinton many years ago and seem to remember Clennel Street being across fields. (we followed the Usway Burn back to the road that time)

Edit: I had a search to see if there's any central resource for rally events and came across this page - http://www.itsmymotorsport.co.uk/by-month.htm. I hadn't considered military ranges as suitable locations, unexploded ordnance would add to the excitement :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks guys for the positive feedback.
Thanks Ray - I should probably include the MOD access link in the write up. It sounds like arriving at Alwinton for food may become critical.
If this ever comes to anything, it might provide an extra grub resource, but I think plans for it ebb and flow on an annual basis!
http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/Ho ... 504baf5-ds

Bob - the only truly boggy stuff is Chew Green to Windy Gyle summit - the descent to Alwinton down Clennel Street is really quite firm for the majority.
The rest is forestry tracks as you say. I've basically managed to keep road transition sections to about 35km in total, which is pretty low % out of 200km.
As far as ordnance goes, even when you have permission to cross the Ranges, you must stick strictly to the road, but I think there's enough wild exploring on other sections!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one that. Will have a wander round some of it on my way home for xmas and get some dirty reiver recceing in to boot. :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

whitestone wrote: I hadn't considered military ranges as suitable locations, unexploded ordnance would add to the excitement :lol:
I think the chances of coming across any unstable UXO would be incredibly low (for many reasons - not just a hunch); I'd happily take that risk in most parts of Otterburn.

Sounds like an interesting route to get me on the road north.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Nice little tour :) I've ridden most of that as parts of 2 different trips, I love Keilder forest and the views from Windy Gyle are great (though it lived up to the windy part when I was up there!)

I'd have probably avoided trying to define bikepacking though, you almost lost me on that bit ;)

Must plan a trip out to Flittingford
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I'd have probably avoided trying to define bikepacking though, you almost lost me on that bit ;)
Fair enough, but I guess I was trying to define how I'd come to understand bikepacking and how that had led me to come to the point of creating a route.
But I realise that different people take different journeys to arrive at destination bikepacking :wink:
You won't be disappointed with Flittingford and Roughside is also an option close to Falstone. :-bd
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I stayed at green last time I was down there which is also nice. Had read a few things about roughside getting undesirables so avoided it.

Might well give your route a crack next year though the cheviot bit would force me to use my mtb rather than cx!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

padonbike wrote:
Fair enough, but I guess I was trying to define how I'd come to understand bikepacking and how that had led me to come to the point of creating a route.
But I realise that different people take different journeys to arrive at destination bikepacking :wink:
I didn't mean to sound critical in anyway, hence the winking smilie :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Finally had a chance to have a proper read of this. Sorry to read of your access and supply problems, but it still looks like an excellent route and I'm keen to try it. I've probably ridden roughly 50% of it before, but it's a well put-together route in this format with lots of options for stops.

Another option for food near Alwinton is Clennell Hall, a flat mile or so north of Alwinton, or passed if detouring past Kidlandlee at the southern end of Kidland Forest.

The bridleway past Fairhaugh and along the Usway Burn is worth a detour rather than following Clennell Street. Less climbing, but from Shillmoor you can go over Pass Peth to Alwinton if you need to up your punishment quota.

At the beginning, if you follow the forest track down the other side of Smales Burn and then the footpath at the end which becomes a bridleway down to the burn crossing, you'll find a nice bit of open (if slightly overgrown) singletrack to give a bit of variety from the forest track (rejoin the route at Smales Leap).

Cheers for sharing :-bd
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks very much for your feedback and I can see that you live in Newcastle so will know the area well. I'd forgotten about Clennell Hall for food, but you're dead right there. I think I know the alternative to Clennell Street that you mean but I think the red track from the farm and the steep grassy bank need to stay to make up for the fact that I'm no longer taking the route up the nose of Windy Gyle, which was my original idea.
You're right that there is quite a lot of forest track, but by the same token then total tarmac is pretty low so all in all I'm happy. I think people will need the "carrot" of the forest track after the "stick" of the Pennine Way stretch because it's very hard going over there - down to 4-5mph average for a couple of hours even when pushing it a bit.
:-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath and I have just back from a winter attempt on this. Set off from Stonehaugh at 1430 on Wednesday, got to Spithope bothy by 2000. There were 6 others already in there so it was quite cosy. Got going about 0830 yesterday morning. The bit out of the forest to the ridge and along to Chew Green took almost 2hrs for 2Km! The snow had insulated the ground before it had had chance to freeze so the worst of both worlds really. So we decided to head down the road to Alwinton. This wasn't much quicker as there were regular patches of sheet ice across the road. Had lunch in the pub then headed back across the Otterburn Ranges. More sheet ice meant that the descents were probably slower than the ascents :cry: and it was dark by the time we got down to the A68 at Byrness. It was also getting very cold -7C along the Forest Drive. By the time we got to Kielder we were knackered so grabbed some accommodation in a B&B.

Woke this morning to about 7cm of snow so took the decision to head down the side of the reservoir and pick up the return route rather than head into the forest again. 40Km took us 5 1/2 hrs! We got back to the car just over 48hrs after setting off. Fortunately the very minor road out of Stonehaugh had been ploughed and gritted..

For a route that has a large proportion in forestry it's quite open in those sections as there's been a lot of felling. Some amazing views from the ranges as well. Feels pretty remote despite not being very far in absolute distance from villages and roads. I'll get some photos uploaded shortly.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Its a great route, good work.

ImageDSCN2453 by Andy Lawrence, on Flickr
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some shots. Imgur was playing up last night and I couldn't upload them.

On some of the early tracks

Descending to Byrness, the Otterburn ranges are the white skyline above Cath's head

Leaving Spithope bothy and regaining the track.

The first of the hike-a-bike. No idea where the track actually went!

De-icing the bike! Bog and snow soon clog things up.

On the border ridge.

Dropping down to Chew Green

Some cheery faces near Alwinton.

There was a diversion due to forestry work to get on to the ranges.

The ranges are an amazing open space. Unfortunately the roads were pretty icy and descents had to be taken at walking pace. It was dark by the time we got back to Byrness and about -7C.

It was snowing heavily in the morning

It was very pretty though

Finally back at the car 48hrs after setting off.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Hey WELL DONE BOB AND CATH!!!!
First official winter attempt at The Northumbrian. :-bd :-bd :-bd
Thanks for giving it a go and posting great pics to show others.
Cheers

Philip
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Thanks Philip.

Done a quick write up - http://bobwightman.blogspot.co.uk/2017/ ... brian.html
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice one both. Great pics and nice to see my old stooge being put through its paces. Id hate to think it was just sat in a shed now :-bd
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

Cracking effort Bob and Cath and a great read on the blog. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't believe how happy Cath looks :grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I can't believe how happy Cath looks :grin:
A psycho-magnetic anomaly! Don't worry, normal service was resumed shortly thereafter :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Good stuff Bob and Cath :-bd

Attempting that route in winter conditions is a serious undertaking so good on you for having a go. Nice pics too - I don't think I've ever seen the Border Ridge so clear, it's normally covered in clag.
golfcurry

Post by golfcurry »

Very nice bob, enjoyed reading your blog.

i bet you didnt enjoy Jasons shortcut from the bothy.