Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by sean_iow »

Learning from the mistakes of last month (leaving it to the last minute and then getting sick) I headed out last night for a school night bivi. The forecast was for dry weather to I packed super light, 150 quilt, kylmit inertia 3/4 mat and borah bivi. Any kind of significant rain and I'd have an issue. As I left home I noticed it was sort of grey, and windy, and there was the odd spot of rain :roll: Carried on regardless to my chosen spot on top of Catherine's Down, just near the Hoy Monument. It was built by a Michael Hoy and sadly not to celebrate Sir Chris's achievements.

Michael Hoy, a successful Russian merchant, had the monument erected to commemorate the visit to Britain, in 1814, of ‘His Imperial Majesty Alexander the 1st, Emperor of all the Russias’

I'd noted that as I climbed up the down :???: that I was riding into a cloud and the wind was getting stronger.

I manged to find a flat spot under a tree and in a slight depression so out of the wind. In my bag in no time and lights off as I was very close to the path, but in reality no one was going to come past there in the dark.

I was awakened in the night by the odd spot of rain landing on my face, Ralph panicked and retreated to the safety of a dry bag. Sadly it's a 1 litre bag so no room for me. It was only very light so despite the fact my bivi isn't waterproof I wasn't overly worried. A bit of damp won't actually hurt a down quilt and it would need to be raining much harder before I would have to get up and seek shelter. Actually slept through to the alarm, usually the morning daylight wakes me up. Still a bit misty but not as bad as the night before.

This spot is actually well concealed which shows how easy it is to hide away. This is looking back and the bike and bag are still there. The little path doesn't go anywhere, except to my bed.

That's another square ticked off, 4 to go. Two are easy and two are a bit harder due to lack of bivi spots.

Packed up and on my way to work by 06:30 and in the office for just after 07:30. Finally, my BAMs wouldn't be complete without

Spotted on the ride in.

Sean and Ralph BAMS 8/8 for this year and I think 28 in a row?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

August done near the site of the abandoned medieval village Mallows Cotton. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/ ... list-entry
Not much to see there apart from the earthworks, but interesting nevertheless.

I arrived just before dusk and spent an uneventful evening with a fish finger sandwich and tin of beer and watched the sun go down.

Image20220821_064157 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
Dawn over the Nene valley.

Image20220821_083428 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
After packing up I used the Nene valley way to get to Woodford where I filled my bottle at the church.

Image20220821_091815 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
Just up from the church this plum tree was overhanging the wall, I couldn't resist scrumping a few. Then I took the A510 to get on another gravel track to Little, then Great Addington then back on the Nene valley way to home.

Image20220821_101108 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
Looking across from the other side of the Nene valley. If you can make out the church spire on the horizon, my bivvy was by the hedgerow to the right of it.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Ermm, abandoned medieval village, isn't that usually because they had plague?!?

That's a lot of free plumbs, nice one, been stuffing myself on something similar from a tree at my office, nobody else seems to be interested in picking them up off the ground...yummy!

Poor Ralph, that mental image of him panicking at a few drops of rain and running screaming for cover makes me laugh Sean :lol:
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

On the link to the village's history it mentions that the plague was a common reason for abandonment, they don't know why Mallows Cotton was deserted though. You can't beat a juicy Victoria plum, the tastiest variety I think.
slarge

Post by slarge »

My August bivvy was in a new location - a local nature reserve that was planted 22 years ago, but one that I never see anyone walking through.

There are pathways mown through, but no footprints, so could be an ideal spot for future bivvies.

This was a road bike bivvy, with a small rucksack to carry my gear. I took a stove and a beer, and enjoyed a hot chocolate this morning.

Cracking night, although it did take me a while to get to sleep.
August bivvy ticked off - that's 8/8 this year.
Boab

Post by Boab »

August BaM done. Just like last month I decided to record my adventure through the medium of YouTube Shorts; unlike last month, there's only thirteen...

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlS0 ... ZWFhXAXJi5

If you don't want to be bored to death by me droning on about mud, then here's some photos...

Headed off shortly after 21:15, due to discovering the front wheel was sub-optimally inflated when I got to the end of the drive.

A couple of hours later, after a feck ton of mud, we arrived at our chosen area. Tent went up without issue and as it was so nice, I left one of the doors open, did absolutely zilch for the condensation levels in the tent come the morning.

Nice view from the open tent door at 05:35...

Proper coffee Taylor this morning.

Very wet with all the dew, with puddles and mud in places...

It was nice out this morning overall though, came back in a super positive frame of mind...

2022: 5 / 12
Total: 28
Streak: 5
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I got my #bam in a couple of weeks ago. August was looking busy and I wondered if I would manage anything a bit longer and more exciting later in the month. So, on the 14th I did a local night out, only half an hours ride from home. I went to a spot I had seen previously down a footpath but the area proved a bit small for my tarp and anyway the ground was a bit hard.
It proved a bit closer to the M1 than I realised and quite a bit of overnight traffic. I managed to get a bit of sleep but was up early the next morning and headed to a McD's for an early breakfast and then home. With one thing and another a longer trip isn't going to happen this month.

I had planned to do an overnighter on the way to watch the London-Edinburgh-London audax but a bike issue as I was setting off meant I missed that opportunity and went up by train instead.

8/8 for 2022

A couple of Strava files with a pic attached:
https://www.strava.com/activities/7640352508
https://www.strava.com/activities/7640353750
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm. Do we want a Bivvy a month video challenge?
Post a vid of your bivvy and the adjudicating panel will award points for, amateurness, swear words not edited out of the final cut, coffee grinding technique, shaky camera shots of trails, philosophical musings about the true essence of 'the bivvy' (TM), slugs. Jeff and Allan aren't allowed to enter as they are too good at it but they can post vids to show us amateurs how it's done.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:39 pm Hmm. Do we want a Bivvy a month video challenge?
Jeff and Allan aren't allowed to enter as they are too good at it but they can post vids to show us amateurs how it's done.

Lol, cheers!

Tbf this is a blooming good idea. I love watching other folks trip videos. I know it's a right faff but once a film is made it's there forever. Get filming guys!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

August done!
I dragged myself out for this months bivvy despite being off work for most of the month!
I'm so glad I did get out though. I parked up at Brynrefail at the western edge of Llyn Padarn and followed the lovely cycle way to Llanberis. Then the climb up past the youth hostel and onto the 'resurfaced' Telegraph valley track. Once I hit the Rangers path, I turned right and headed towards the big hill (Snowdon). I set up on a ridge just to the left of the start of the zig zags, Bwlch Cwm Brwynog. Soon after setting up the sun set and I had a very calm night with the sight of torches on the summit.
Some pics...

Snowdon summit right of pic
Image20220828_183815-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Telegraph valley, its a bit sketchy on the descent now cos of all the loose stones
Image20220828_190421-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

After just 1 minute of looking I found the perfect sized old fence post! The Llanberis path is in the distance
Image20220828_201911-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220828_201111-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Moel Hebog and Beddgelert forest
Image20220828_201143-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Summit centre of pic
Image20220829_065223-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

A terrible photo but the light is someone at the summit
Image20220828_211615 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

ImageScreenshot_20220828-205637_OS Maps by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220829_061506-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220829_072433-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Breakfast at Petes Eats but its not what it used to be, a let down tbh.
Image20220829_084611 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice. Yeah shame about Pete's. Didn't enjoy my visit last June - loud music, manager giving staff grief etc.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

August BaM - Done.

I went looking to see an Emperor dragonfly. Didn't see one. Either too late in the season or too cold or too early in the morning. :sad: My third time there in less than a year. Hmm. Must try harder, yes, but they were three different shelters - flat tarp, Gatewood cape, hammock.

Picked up the Shropshire Union canal at Ellesmere, after eating a chicken kebab on the warf, then pedalling the towpath to the watchtower. Got there in the dark and went to bed with a slug of rum to be woken before 8 o'clock by footsteps on the stairs and planking above my head. A birder, by the look of him, with a camera with an enormous lens on a tripod. Nowt for it but to get out of the pit and start looking for dragonflies. Last time I was there I saw lots, but a lady volunteer working on the structure seemed to think it was too early in the season for the Emperor, hence the re-return visit.

There were three more dog walkers while I was packing away, one pair with electric bikes that were taking their two dogs for a run. They said their usual route was along the canal, then looping around on a disused railway back to Bettisfield then back on the canal to Ellesmere from where they'd started. Eighteen miles, they said. A good long run for the dogs, I thought, but they were some sort of Setter-like thing and seemed lively enough and well up for a good run.

Well, a loop seemed a better idea than a there-and-back ride so I followed their directions and cycled some pretty decent forest track and a railway before joining the canal again to get back to the car. On the way, I passed this:-

Fenns Iron Works. Only included to pique Regs' interest.

Not a very inspiring BaM this, but all I could manage this month. None-the-less, it makes me 8/8 for 2022. :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Frog wrote: pique.. interest
Thank you, consider it piqued :smile: . Just reading about it...

Quite an elaborate setup under the tower there :smile: ..
not very inspiring
2022 definitely feels like my least inspired/inspiring BaM year so far. Dunno exactly why, lot of family stuff using up headspace but that doesn't fully explain it. Started off well with Winter Event and Berwyns but a bit downhill since them somehow :sad: . Paradoxically had far more inspiration and fun during lockdown TBH :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Well, that’s another month where I’ve left it pretty late to get my BAM done… and once again, for convenience, I headed out into my favourite local riding area in East Lothian. Yesterday evening I rode eastwards along the coast, on a mix of road and trails, before heading inland (and away from the annoying headwind) towards my intended site. This was in a small plantation near the village of Pencaitland, a spot I’d identified during some off-road exploring last week.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

As I neared my chosen spot I passed this small wooden hut (built to keep local kids amused) that I've passed many times. I’ve often thought that it’d make a novel bivvy spot but I’ve always ended up ruling it out because I reckon I’d almost certainly be visited by an inquisitive dog (or dogs) being taken for their morning constitutional.

Once I arrived I quickly found a nice, flat spot far enough away from any paths. I’ve not a lot to report on the night’s events other than that I had an excellent sleep, disturbed only by a lone dog briefly barking in the early hours.

In the morning, after breakfast and a mooch around the woods, I packed up and set off homewards along the Pencaitland Railway Path, passing this sign relating local tales from the railway line's past.

Then, further on, this nicely decorated gate alongside the River Esk.

That’s now 8/8 for this year and a run of 56 consecutive BAMs.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
RIP

Post by RIP »

What a cracking shed! Can't believe you passed it up :smile: . Although TBH it looks suspiciously about 1" shorter than your body. Have had this problem in the past.

So looking more closely at the interpretation sign, one notes that the chief suspect in the orchard scrumping episode appears to be a certain "Jimmy"... hmm..... :grin:

In fact, "Mischief and Mayhem" - yet another BBB sticker right there :wink: .

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

:lol: I wondered if anyone would spot that. I can categorically state, “It wisnae me, honest!” :smile:
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I bagged my August bivvy on Sunday night. Same spot as last time (in a local bird reserve by the sea) but all the birds must have flown back to Africa because there were none there. Woke up to see a walker on the main path but don’t think anyone saw me. There were a load of campervans parked up for the night in a car park not far away (also by the sea) so can’t imagine anyone being upset I was there

Had planned to go to the supermarket the next day so I used the cargo bike again (which also meant I could take a chair :-bd ). But I forgot it was a bank holiday the next day so they were all closed when I got there. Greggs was open so grabbed a bacon roll and a coffee
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

BAM Aug 31...I wont harp on about procrastination, it happens too often!
So last night saw me leave home at 2205.
My route is all uphill to the Malvern Hills. Its so dark. I settle down to a reasonable pace while repeatedly chanting my FPL score, and score including bonus points!! At least I wasn't whistling my usual madness, 'The Yellow Rose of Texas'.

After a couple or three miles my thoughts turned to how easy cycling is in the dark. Free of the usual multitude of risk assessments I reflected on my path as a procrastinator. How my BAM has become last minute, predictable, brutal and lacking in ambition. How one poor decision or disaster may end my quest. From all this a promise grew, ever stronger as my journey became more difficult.

And now in front of all the eminent Bear Bones gurus I declare a change of tack. Hereon my BAM will happen earlier in the month, or involve a 2 monther using the last night of one month + the first night of the following month, taken in a continuous trip. And there will be more different venues. Plus hopefully get my mountain bike back on the run.

Back to my BAM trip. Found a nice spot on top of Table Hill, it was windy but warmish, sky was clear, saw some shooting stars, had a choccie cake and snuggled in sleep bag, didnt even bother with a can of cider in my pannier!! And slept well, awoke after 5, clouds hugged the top. Back home at 730!!
Attachments
BAMAug31resize.jpg
BAMAug31resize.jpg (12.83 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
Last edited by NeilA on Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

NeilA wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:57 am ...or involve a 2 monther using the last day + first day.
You do realise that needs to include at least 2 nights?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tis true - the night of the last day of the month plus the night of the first day of the following month.

I wish I hadn't reiterated that. It just looks even more complicated :wink: .

NeilA

Post by NeilA »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:02 pm
NeilA wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:57 am ...or involve a 2 monther using the last day + first day.
You do realise that needs to include at least 2 nights?
I do yes, thank you Bearlegged. I can see where your coming from on my statement. Thanks for highlighting this, I will edit my post.
Sponsored by Alpkit
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

RIP wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:23 pm Tis true - the night of the last day of the month plus the night of the first day of the following month.

Lol RIP I really should've used your words for my edit :???:
Sponsored by Alpkit
RIP

Post by RIP »

NeilA wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:20 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:23 pm Tis true - the night of the last day of the month plus the night of the first day of the following month.

Lol RIP I really should've used your words for my edit :???:
:smile: The main thing is good luck with your continuing BaM, however you choose to play it :-bd

GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Running out of time for an August bivvy, I decided to combine it with a trip down to a cave rescue practice in Co Clare. I'd always fancied cycling along the cliffs of Moher path, and thus it seemed like the obvious option. Got down to Doolin at sunset on Friday evening (26th Aug), and set off along the coast. I'd originally planned to cycle the road to Liscannor and then head north along the cliff path, but with fading light, cycling the route the other way around seemed more sensible. The village was jammed (bivvying saved me a long and likely fruitless search for accomodation that evening). The path is easy enough, and safe as it's either well back from the cliffs or well fenced off. I found a nice flat spot with a good view and pitched my tent. A good nights sleep and then onwards at 6am. There's only one section just N of the visitors' centre that's inaccessible. I got back to the rescue store in time for breakfast, and the rest of the team to arrive.

BBBaM Aug - The Cliffs of Moher
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Managed two in Aug, both int Lakes

7/8

First one was a short-ish ride from Ambleside, looks like it’s had a fair bit of use since I was last there as there’s now several scorch marks dotted around x(

https://i.imgur.com/8tpnniW.jpg

Next one was at the Grizedale bus shelter, bit of a Ninja Warrior trying to get to it in the dark because of all the fallen trees!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZxhFoFV

https://imgur.com/gallery/UxtEe9q

Also managed a trip to a Welsh bothy, but that was a hike-in, so won’t count..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!