Lakeland 200

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Lakeland 200

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:32 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:27 pmI'm hopefully gonna go and do the road LakeLand Loop... ...How hard could it be :lol:
*Checks map*
*Starts counting contour lines*
*Gives up*
Lol... But you're from Sheffield. Built on hills and all that... Hardknotts should be 'cheescake' for you :grin: (I walked up obviously, but have done alot of hills between then and now so reckon I might be a little more ready!).
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:27 pm
whitestone wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:09 pm The fact that theres only 24 (or 26) completions... is that cos it's too tough of a route or something else... Asming for a friend. Harder than the standard bb200 types? :???:
There’s maybe six sections that would be the hard parts of a BB200. Then there’s a lot of other hard riding as well. Maybe 20% is road at a push. For example, last year’s edition had only one real bit of HaB I’d maybe 20 mins. You’ve got multiple pushes closer to an hour on the LL200
Thanks Bob... sounds super hard so probably not for me then. I'm hopefully gonna go and do the road LakeLand Loop instead once the lighter bike is ready. How hard could it be :lol:
You mean the Fred Whitton?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

No Dave. That's for crazy people..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:12 pm Sean, that looks like the one I've got. Guess its just tracking errors or the route following the obvious line on the ground rather than the marked line.
I think I'm talking myself into giving it a go!
I've just gone over the GPX from self-supported and it's all fine (apart from being a GPX route not a track). The line of the BW up The Knott/High Street doesn't exist on the ground but the line taken by the route does.

I did think to myself several times that a few sections would suit you :-bd The bit from Boot to Wasdale is like a mini Ledmore Traverse :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:58 pm I did think to myself several times that a few sections would suit you :-bd The bit from Boot to Wasdale is like a mini Ledmore Traverse :wink:
Mike Toyn (who lives in Staveley) said as much at last years HT :grin:
I did the bit from Boot to Wasdale the other way round in 1990 (on a rigid 26er!) It was part of a circuit where I did Styhead, that one, which I recall was a bit of a schlep; Hardknott and Wrynose (which were comparatively easy!) finishing with the BW over Greenup edge. That was on one of three bikepacking trips I did round the lakes back then and I 'learned' how to ride hard rocky trails, mainly by swearing my way up a gruesome hike a bike climb then being so angry at the top that the descent was unrideable, I tried to ride it anyway. The boundless enthusiasm of youth helped...

Might give it a whirl when I'm down that way at the end of May.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Point of order Bob: a GPX route is a sequence of waypoints designed to be followed. A track is a recording of a journey with timestamped locations. I understand Garmin insist on a track for the purposes of navigation, which is backwards, but then Garmin are backwards :wink:

Shaf, I presume you mean the Lakes and Dales Loop? I did that as a three-day tour with some friends a few years ago. Mostly road (maybe officially all, but I remember riding the Old Coach Road - might have been to get to my mate's house in Matterdale though) but very enjoyable. Wouldn't say it was "easy" but compared to the Lakeland 200, it's, well... easy.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 pm Might give it a whirl when I'm down that way at the end of May.
Give me a shout if you fancy meeting up for a ride (not necessarily the LL200) or something, I'll be spending some time over that way continuing my Wainwright mission.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:45 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 pm Might give it a whirl when I'm down that way at the end of May.
Give me a shout if you fancy meeting up for a ride (not necessarily the LL200) or something, I'll be spending some time over that way continuing my Wainwright mission.
:-bd Possibly thinking of the Dales as well if I can get on a decent campsite given that its Spring bank holiday.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:09 pm The fact that theres only 24 (or 26) completions... is that cos it's too tough of a route or something else... Asming for a friend. Harder than the standard bb200 types? :???:
I know half a dozen people who've done it and aren't on that list, so loads more completions. It's one of those that is much easier to ride/walk without luggage - but that takes a bit of commitment. I carried bivi stuff and didn't use it, but it made it harder :cry:
A sub 24hr attempt is on my 'Must get around to it' list - 'timed out' on Garburn last time. Starting from Coniston makes it a bit more achievable.

On road, the Lakeland Loop is similar to the Fred Whitton, but misses out the bit over to and along Ullswater and the two passes before Whinlatter - Honister and Newlands. This makes it around 75 miles instead of 112 miles. The Lakes and Dales Loop is about 200 miles, but far fewer big hills. They all pass our front door pretty much.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've got almost all the Wainwrights S and E of Ullswater to do and planning a bit of backpacking along the ridges, if you fancy some company.
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:42 pm Point of order Bob: a GPX route is a sequence of waypoints designed to be followed. A track is a recording of a journey with timestamped locations. I understand Garmin insist on a track for the purposes of navigation, which is backwards, but then Garmin are backwards :wink:

Shaf, I presume you mean the Lakes and Dales Loop? I did that as a three-day tour with some friends a few years ago. Mostly road (maybe officially all, but I remember riding the Old Coach Road - might have been to get to my mate's house in Matterdale though) but very enjoyable. Wouldn't say it was "easy" but compared to the Lakeland 200, it's, well... easy.
Nope... the one that Boxelder also specified (link below). Yes, It's well easy compared to all that off road loveliness. That reminds me, I must get a Northpeaks100 group start put out there for eid :grin: any interest!?!

https://www.strava.com/routes/3421798 (why anyone would wanna pay and do it as a sportive/supportive I really don't know!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

boxelder wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:40 pm I know half a dozen people who've done it and aren't on that list, so loads more completions.
I noted to Dave that the list is of those: who have completed the route AND done it in under 40hrs AND wish to be on the list. The latter is possibly only a point if you wish to use your efforts as an entry requirement for the HT550 group start. Otherwise it's just ego :grin:

We get similar with the Bob Graham: for a certificate you need to complete the route, within 24hrs, with witnesses on the fells (for safety) and submit a form with your times. The majority do that but some complete outside the 24hr limit, some don't have witnesses, some don't bother to fill in the form. Some who don't make the time limit or do a full/partial solo round let us know and we record those but there's undoubtedly others who don't.

Early on Friday morning I was convinced I was following someone on the route as I kept seeing fresh wet tyre marks after puddles but after Eskdale/Wasdale there were none so possibly someone out for a very early morning ride.
boxelder wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:40 pmIt's one of those that is much easier to ride/walk without luggage - but that takes a bit of commitment. I carried bivi stuff and didn't use it, but it made it harder :cry:
I took very little bivy kit: Cumulus 150 quilt; Borah Gear bivy bag; Klymit X-frame torso length mat. Including the dry bag to hold it, it came to 700g. I had hoped to ride through and finish in 30hrs or so but given my speed and the conditions I'm glad I did.

A subsequent video from the guy who was rerouted by Komoot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUyY_1vcHMA a reasonable overview of what's required.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:52 pm :-bd Possibly thinking of the Dales as well if I can get on a decent campsite given that its Spring bank holiday.
Now I'm unemployed, all these bank holidays are starting to annoy me :roll: :lol:

Ah, my bad Shaf, hadn't heard of that one. Much shorter than the L&D loop but more big pointy hills as Andy says.
boxelder wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:42 pm I've got almost all the Wainwrights S and E of Ullswater to do and planning a bit of backpacking along the ridges, if you fancy some company.
I was thinking of backpacking a few, but I've done all of the far eastern fells except the bunch between Kirkstone Pass and High Street. Company is always appreciated though. I suppose you've done a lot of the western group?
redefined_cycles

boxelder wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:40 pm
I know half a dozen people who've done it and aren't on that list, so loads more completions. It's one of those that is much easier to ride/walk without luggage - but that takes a bit of commitment. I carried bivi stuff and didn't use it, but it made it harder :cry:
A sub 24hr attempt is on my 'Must get around to it' list - 'timed out' on Garburn last time. Starting from Coniston makes it a bit more achievable.

On road, the Lakeland Loop is similar to the Fred Whitton, but misses out the bit over to and along Ullswater and the two passes before Whinlatter - Honister and Newlands. This makes it around 75 miles instead of 112 miles. The Lakes and Dales Loop is about 200 miles, but far fewer big hills. They all pass our front door pretty much.
Lakes and Dales loop... you got a link? Does it miss Hardknotts (the ba%%%#d... :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

boxelder wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:42 pm
I've got almost all the Wainwrights S and E of Ullswater to do and planning a bit of backpacking along the ridges, if you fancy some company.
I’ve got just six to do but they are spread out: three in Borrowdale; one by Thirlmere; one above Grassmere and one above Dunnerdale
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:17 am

Lakes and Dales loop... you got a link? Does it miss Hardknotts (the ba%%%#d... :lol:
It misses all the well known central Lakes passes. Still plenty of downhill though :wink: The best option for an overnight I reckon.
http://www.lakesdalesloop.co.uk/map-elevation/
Last edited by boxelder on Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I’ve got just six to do but they are spread out: three in Borrowdale; one by Thirlmere; one above Grassmere and one above Dunnerdale
I decided in October to try and do them all before my birthday in mid July (repeating or first time). New work may get in the way now though. I have a mate who does them all every year. It's a good way to ensure you go to new places, though for me, some are 'once only'.
redefined_cycles

boxelder wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:05 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:17 am

It misses all the well known central Lakes passes. Still plenty of downhill though :wink: The best option for an overnight I reckon.
http://www.lakesdalesloop.co.uk/map-elevation/
Thanks Andy (did I decipher the name correctly?) :-bd
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

This weekend we had the first completion by a woman. Sally Ozanne in a very impressive time of 22 hours 50 minutes. She is the ninth person to complete it in under 24hrs.