It's snowing!

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

It's snowing!

Post by whitestone »

Yesterday we had a dump of snow, however it fell on fairly soft unfrozen ground so it wasn't worth going out. Oh, there were 60km/h winds to deal with as well. It froze hard overnight so it was time to get out the fat bikes and go play. It began to snow just as we were about to set off and never really stopped all ride, it put 3cm down at the house by the time we got back.

A bit of road and then the first bridleway:

Higher up it becomes an access track to a couple of houses and was quite icy, complete lack of grip on that so had to walk about 100m until it levelled off.

Some more road led to the next BW.

After this we had a few options and ended up going for the shortest one. In the event this was probably wise. A bit of hoiking the bikes over a gate wrapped with barbed wire (the area got really popular during lockdown plus there's no BWs on it)

The next bit is normally rideable but the snow had drifted in so a bit of hike-a-bike was in order. Given the state of that I wasn't sure if the following bit would also be drifted in as it was in the lee of a stone wall but it was mostly rideable for the climb and level sections then fine on the downhill bit.

At the end of this is a lane that regularly ices up so we walked it. Didn't stop me from falling over, fortunately I landed exactly on my front tyre so a soft landing! The last bit of off-road is legal, it used to be one of those silly BWs that just stopped in the middle of nowhere but the last field has been upgraded from footpath.

A steep climb up the lane in the above shot then left along the track by the wall on the skyline.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearlegged

Re: It's snowing!

Post by Bearlegged »

I love the fuzzy nature of the pics, reminds me of Raymond Briggs's Snowman.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Happy to report that we've had none. Cold and windy but thankfully no snow :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Got jnto the mother of all slides after leaving the inlaws today, wheels locked and just couldn't slow it at all, whizzed through some parallel parked cars without hitting a thing

One bloke clearing his drive stood watching in amazement as I flew past with the ABS crunching and grinding away

Ready for a stiff drink now
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one Bob, I heard that Tanhill got snowed in and its patrons had to be put up for the night!

Shewie, I've found ABS to be a liability in the ice as it typically results in no braking. Old fashioned cadence braking works much better....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:15 pm Good one Bob, I heard that Tanhill got snowed in and its patrons had to be put up for the night!

Shewie, I've found ABS to be a liability in the ice as it typically results in no braking. Old fashioned cadence braking works much better....

According to the BBC they are there for a second night. Poor buggers!

Just been clearing the lane (well the neighbour did that, I salted it), since it's 25% there's no way to get out without it being cleared. Parked the van at the top of the lane just in case.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

As long as the beer doesn't run out!
Mum and Dad in a holiday cottage in Carperby in Wensleydale so look forward to their wintry pics.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Quite a bit here in Calder Valley. Will be interesting to see if I can get to work tomorrow, let alone the students!
psling

Post by psling »

No snow here in the Forest of Dean but a huge amount of wind damage. Even though we've experienced stronger winds in the past I can't remember seeing so many trees down before. Maybe the time of year with the sap low or possibly the wind direction, I don't know :???:

Shewie wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:47 pm Got jnto the mother of all slides after leaving the inlaws today, wheels locked and just couldn't slow it at all, whizzed through some parallel parked cars without hitting a thing

One bloke clearing his drive stood watching in amazement as I flew past with the ABS crunching and grinding away

Ready for a stiff drink now
Totally counter-intuitive but you need to come off the brakes and blip the throttle; you only have control if the wheels are turning :shock: Assuming you're in a low enough gear to have some engine braking - if not, you're into serious kick-the-pedal-through-the-floor cadence braking like fatbikephil says. Easier said than done though, neither option comes easy.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

psling wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:40 pm No snow here in the Forest of Dean but a huge amount of wind damage. Even though we've experienced stronger winds in the past I can't remember seeing so many trees down before. Maybe the time of year with the sap low or possibly the wind direction, I don't know :???:
We were discussing this yesterday, storm force north easterlies are rare so many trees that would have happily survived a SW gale will have got clobbered. Mild and damp tomorrow afternoon until Tuesday :cry:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Most phased forest felling is designed to protect the crop from South through to west winds. Northerly and easterly winds will more likely find an exposed edge.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A fair amount of snow still here. They're just taking down a big old tree on the green opposite my office window which has been losing a major branch in every big storm. That's been happening for 2 years so not sure if the timing is coincidental or if it's started to lean towards the old mental hospital next to it. Most of the big trees near me are 150 odd years old and were planted when they built the asylum.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

whitestone wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:27 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:15 pm Good one Bob, I heard that Tanhill got snowed in and its patrons had to be put up for the night!

According to the BBC they are there for a second night. Poor buggers!
Imagine being locked in with an Oasis tribute band for 48 hours though :shock:
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:23 am Imagine being locked in with an Oasis tribute band for 48 hours though :shock:
:grin:

bit ironic that too... snow / oasis.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:38 am
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:23 am Imagine being locked in with an Oasis tribute band for 48 hours though :shock:
:grin:

bit ironic that too... snow / oasis.....
Tenuous, Reg, but still :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:23 am
Imagine being locked in with an Oasis tribute band for 48 hours though :shock:
Could be worse - could be the actual Oasis :lol:

Three nights now - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-59459710
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:58 am Tenuous, Reg, but still :lol:
My middle name :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I thought it was Iolanthe?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah. Good point. I thought yours was Landslide :-P :smile: .

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

It wasn't me! You can't prove nuffink!
ton

Post by ton »

managed 2 cracking hours earlier, on frozen crunchy snow, and sheet ice patches.

these fat bikes are quite good on the snow and stuff.......... :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Went for a pre-dawn razz around local Narnia. Crunchy white glitteryness below with purple, salmon pink and baby blue skies above. Ace! :cool:
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:09 pm white glitteryness below with purple, salmon pink and baby blue skies above. Ace! :cool:
Sounds like you've strayed over from that recent "what colour should I paint my bike?" thread Pete :smile:

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:27 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:09 pm white glitteryness below with purple, salmon pink and baby blue skies above. Ace! :cool:
Sounds like you've strayed over from that recent "what colour should I paint my bike?" thread Pete :smile:
YEAH BABY!!! :lol:

Now I just need to find a deep metallic hot rod orange sunset :cool: .
May you always have tail wind.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well this thread went weird!

Unfortunately we are now back to the usual November grey :cry: