What's your BB200 action plan?

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 21207
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

how do you pronounce Llanbrymair
Llan - double L is as CL but it's muted slightly so a little softer. Hard to describe without hearing it. Almost 'thlan'.

Bryn - BRIN

Myre - MIRE

Anyway, 'Saint Mary's church on the hill' if you're bothered :wink: I'm sure Dee will be available on Sunday to give lessons, she usually does.
May the bridges you burn light your way
User avatar
Richard G
Posts: 4459
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:09 am
Location: South Wales

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Richard G »

Most Welsh are used to the first bit being butchered, so wont be massively offended by Lan.
User avatar
whitestone
Posts: 6708
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Skipton(ish)
Contact:

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by whitestone »

Boab wrote: ↑Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:15 pm Anyone got a cheat sheet on how to pronounce various placenames...? I fear I'm going to make a complete tit of myself when asking for directions etc...
As a starter, how do you pronounce Llanbrymair...?
I'm sure we had a thread about Welsh place name pro nun see ehshun :lol:

All vowels are short, so 'a' as in cat not as in gate. Y & W are also vowels, 'y' is something like a long 'i' as in bin. 'w' is like 'ew' in news.
Vowel pairs are a bit weird: 'oe' is something like 'oye' - croesor (welcome) sounds like 'croyesor', the 'e' being quite subtle. 'au' (as in Blaenau) sounds like the English word 'eye'; 'ae' sounds like the 'y' in 'fly'.

Consonants are as for English with the following differences.

'C' is always hard as in 'cat'
'G' is always hard as in 'get'
Single 'F' is English 'v' as in 'of'
Double 'FF' is English 'f' as in 'off'
'DD' is somewhere between English 'v' and 'th'
'LL' is a bit like 'fl' but almost without the 'f' part - put your tongue in the front top part of your mouth then try saying it, so for 'llan' try saying 'flan' and it will sound near enough.

That's a simple starter. :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
User avatar
Boab
Posts: 1196
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Boab »

Looks totally simples... I see I will be apologising profusely at times, with a suitably puzzled look on my face. πŸ˜‚
I like beer. 🍻
User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 21207
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here we go, I've found the post that Dee wrote awhile a go.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15814&p=200800&hili ... ge#p200800
May the bridges you burn light your way
User avatar
Escape Goat
Posts: 1944
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Location: Not nearly close enough to Scotland...

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm still worrying about the whole thing.
redefined_cycles
Posts: 6379
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Escape Goat wrote: ↑Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:50 pm I'm still worrying about the whole thing.
Hold on... thought you weren't coming... do I need to grab some ginger beer then :smile:
User avatar
fatbikephil
Posts: 4177
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by fatbikephil »

Escape Goat wrote: ↑Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:50 pm I'm still worrying about the whole thing.
Dinnae
Its only a bike ride, whats the worst that can happen :lol:
User avatar
Escape Goat
Posts: 1944
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Location: Not nearly close enough to Scotland...

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm on the November one. What's the worst that can happen? Not sure. Hope I don't find out.
User avatar
Boab
Posts: 1196
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: ↑Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:25 pm Here we go, I've found the post that Dee wrote awhile a go.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15814&p=200800&hili ... ge#p200800
Thanks! As someone who struggles with English, and after six months living in Italy only had enough grasp to tell bar tenders there was too much foam on a beer, I fear Welsh is going to be just too impenetrable. At least those YouTube links will give me something to listen to in the office tomorrow. 😡
I like beer. 🍻
User avatar
Boab
Posts: 1196
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Boab »

Escape Goat wrote: ↑Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:50 pm I'm still worrying about the whole thing.
I'm near enough in full on fight or flight mode, so feel your pain. The anxiety the last couple of days has been so bad I've barely managed to do any work. The bastard is, I know that after an hour of riding on Saturday, I'll be wondering what all the 🀬 fuss was about, as I'm outside riding my bike, and thus having a great time... I hate my brain at times.
I like beer. 🍻
User avatar
Escape Goat
Posts: 1944
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Location: Not nearly close enough to Scotland...

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Escape Goat »

Two years ago I was stronger than I am now and was looking forward to it. This year, well, I'm about 50 % or 40% as ready πŸ˜‚
User avatar
Richard G
Posts: 4459
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:09 am
Location: South Wales

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Richard G »

Escape Goat wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 am Two years ago I was stronger than I am now and was looking forward to it. This year, well, I'm about 50 % or 40% as ready πŸ˜‚
You seem to have been doing a fair amount of riding though, at least based on your Facebook / Strava activity.
redefined_cycles
Posts: 6379
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Boab wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:41 am
Escape Goat wrote: ↑Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:50 pm I'm still worrying about the whole thing.
I'm near enough in full on fight or flight mode, so feel your pain. The anxiety the last couple of days has been so bad I've barely managed to do any work. The bastard is, I know that after an hour of riding on Saturday, I'll be wondering what all the 🀬 fuss was about, as I'm outside riding my bike, and thus having a great time... I hate my brain at times.
What's all the fuss about Bob... Might be one of the easiest rides you/we ever do... Just breathe...

Wax on... wax off... wax on... wax off.... :smile:
User avatar
Dyffers
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Darkest Dorset

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Dyffers »

It's such an easy ride that Shaf's bike will be showroom condition at the end. :wink:
User avatar
Boab
Posts: 1196
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:36 am
Boab wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:41 am
Escape Goat wrote: ↑Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:50 pm I'm still worrying about the whole thing.
I'm near enough in full on fight or flight mode, so feel your pain. The anxiety the last couple of days has been so bad I've barely managed to do any work. The bastard is, I know that after an hour of riding on Saturday, I'll be wondering what all the 🀬 fuss was about, as I'm outside riding my bike, and thus having a great time... I hate my brain at times.
What's all the fuss about Bob... Might be one of the easiest rides you/we ever do... Just breathe...

Wax on... wax off... wax on... wax off.... :smile:
It's a general fear of the unknown, and is generally only a problem the first time I do something, and then only when it involves other people.
I've had it since I was a child, and it can be quite annoying at times, especially as there's generally never an issue.
Dyffers wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:47 am It's such an easy ride that Shaf's bike will be showroom condition at the end. :wink:
πŸ˜‚
I like beer. 🍻
redefined_cycles
Posts: 6379
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dyffers wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:47 am It's such an easy ride that Shaf's bike will be showroom condition at the end. :wink:
:lol:
User avatar
Escape Goat
Posts: 1944
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Location: Not nearly close enough to Scotland...

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Escape Goat »

Richard G wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:35 am
Escape Goat wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 am Two years ago I was stronger than I am now and was looking forward to it. This year, well, I'm about 50 % or 40% as ready πŸ˜‚
You seem to have been doing a fair amount of riding though, at least based on your Facebook / Strava activity.


Facebook looks like I'm never home. Strava , no lieing there eh. Least that is a vote of confidence. Thanks :)
Alexinthepeaks
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:55 pm

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

My "plan" is 8am depart, cafe stop at 60km, ride to finish at round 10pm to 1am - Beer to finish!

It looks like quote a fast route, possibly best on a gravel? But im going to make life hard for myself and use my 160mm travel hardtail and 2.8 tyres to really feel the burn.

Will be at the pub in the village on Friday from 7pm ish.
User avatar
fatbikephil
Posts: 4177
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by fatbikephil »

Oof speedy!
Speaking of which are messrs Glen and Page in for this?
Not that I'm trying to keep up just always nice to know how far off the pace you are.
User avatar
Escape Goat
Posts: 1944
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Location: Not nearly close enough to Scotland...

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Escape Goat »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 pm My "plan" is 8am depart, cafe stop at 60km, ride to finish at round 10pm to 1am - Beer to finish!

It looks like quote a fast route, possibly best on a gravel? But im going to make life hard for myself and use my 160mm travel hardtail and 2.8 tyres to really feel the burn.

Will be at the pub in the village on Friday from 7pm ish.

Speedy for a bb200?! Gravel?!
redefined_cycles
Posts: 6379
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Escape Goat wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:14 pm
Alexinthepeaks wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 pm My "plan" is 8am depart, cafe stop at 60km, ride to finish at round 10pm to 1am - Beer to finish!

It looks like quote a fast route, possibly best on a gravel? But im going to make life hard for myself and use my 160mm travel hardtail and 2.8 tyres to really feel the burn.

Will be at the pub in the village on Friday from 7pm ish.

Speedy for a bb200?! Gravel?!
Allen.. he's insane-fast is Alex... Suprisingly humble aswell
User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 21207
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Speaking of which are messrs Glen and Page in for this?
Matt's on the 300.
May the bridges you burn light your way
User avatar
Escape Goat
Posts: 1944
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Location: Not nearly close enough to Scotland...

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Escape Goat »

redefined_cycles wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:29 pm
Escape Goat wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:14 pm
Alexinthepeaks wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 pm My "plan" is 8am depart, cafe stop at 60km, ride to finish at round 10pm to 1am - Beer to finish!

It looks like quote a fast route, possibly best on a gravel? But im going to make life hard for myself and use my 160mm travel hardtail and 2.8 tyres to really feel the burn.

Will be at the pub in the village on Friday from 7pm ish.

Speedy for a bb200?! Gravel?!
Allen.. he's insane-fast is Alex... Suprisingly humble aswell
Ah brilliant. So double or triple my effort then hehe.
redefined_cycles
Posts: 6379
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Escape Goat wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:10 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:29 pm
Escape Goat wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:14 pm
Alexinthepeaks wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 pm My "plan" is 8am depart, cafe stop at 60km, ride to finish at round 10pm to 1am - Beer to finish!

It looks like quote a fast route, possibly best on a gravel? But im going to make life hard for myself and use my 160mm travel hardtail and 2.8 tyres to really feel the burn.

Will be at the pub in the village on Friday from 7pm ish.

Speedy for a bb200?! Gravel?!
Allen.. he's insane-fast is Alex... Suprisingly humble aswell
Ah brilliant. So double or triple my effort then hehe.
Mine too... they make me sick :lol:
Post Reply