Carbon neutralising deliveries and other plastic sparing 'goings on'!

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Carbon neutralising deliveries and other plastic sparing 'goings on'!

Post by redefined_cycles » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:40 pm

Just before I start, I'm not sure but from some research of what's openly available of peoples commute info, it would appear I might just have the British (non verified) commute record :grin: happy with that and am even thinking to get a part time job there - Scarbados - to drill it firmly into the non-official record books (Strava off course).

Sorry about that, just wanted to share as I bought my first bike for commuting when I was 20ish. The bikes have changed and the commutes just gotten longer. The info above being a long term research project of mine...

Anyway, so most people om here do their bit recycling and reducing their impact on nature, the wales (not Wales) and turtles etc etc. Ever since Duncan shared the picture of the [url =http://www.ecolife.com/recycling/plasti ... patch.html ]plastic island[/url], I reckon my resolve has only gotten stronger. Both in terms of commutes as well as hand-deliveries.

If anyone has any other of their own 'satisfying deeds' of 'neutralising the carbon' then please do share on here. In the meanwhile I've got another compost bin (last one burnt down courtesy of me) and I always try to run my cars into the ground. Successful on my last 2 cars :o

Onto the nitty gritty. Last 2 deliveries that needed making, I managed to post by hand. Thanks to both recipients for being happy with personalised delivery or else it'd just not work for me. Postage saved - £12 yesterday and £7 today as I'd have sent special delivery - will be sent straight to the Yemen Hunger Crisis project.

redefined_cycles

Re: Carbon neutralising deliveries and other plastic sparing 'goings on'!

Post by redefined_cycles » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:35 am

Yesterdays delivery being the Fox Forks. Possibly my biggest in terms of mass, not distance. But thankfully my 20 year old trusty Deuter pack came to the rescue.

I also managed to activate a few squares. Twas hard work riding up to Tims though.

Enroute I managed to say hello to an old aquaintance, the Liverpool to Leeds canal towpath. Met these two beauties too who were happy to stay still long enough for me to pull out the camera and get a pic. They dispersed soon after though.

Star of the show was this here toadster though.

Or was it Eccles Hill (star of the show).

Food consumed, just tiny flapjack the missus sent me out with and a lovely cuppa coffee.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:57 am

Then todays delivery, thankfully a superlight bag by PHD himself. Is it a 300, or a 400 with down leakage. I guess we'll never know, but we do know that I didn't want it arriving wet through. Nor did I need a 20 year old heavy backpack.

Out came the collapsible Osprey. Thankfully I could just stuff it in the framebag enroute home. I also took a spare drybag in case it started raining as we are afterall in Yorkshire (second only to Wales itself I guess).

14 or so miles later and the BBer was ecstatic. Well, ol, maybe not ecstatic. But he's dping his bit in the carbon neutralization project by being the 3rd owner of this beauty of a bag. Sadly I forgot to give him the stuffsack as I'd not wanted carry it slightly squished up.

At some point it'll hopefully be carrried on the Dragonsback over the Welsh hills. Only one thing worse than a Bearbones200 I guess and I bet its designed (the [url
= https://www.dragonsbackrace.com/ ]dragonsback)[/url] by some 'bond-villain'.

Bag delivered and now firmly on the way home. Now, this is the time I should tell you that these two deliveries were required. I'd eaten a full Asda sized, 6 or 7 peoples worth, tub (no, I meant 'box') of ice cream the night before yesterday. It was plastic (sorry) and I got rid of all the evidence in the recyling bin. So I needed some calories burnt asap, before I got poorly or the 'football' became a 'volleyball'. Hence why I'd just taken a home-made flapjack yesterday. Today that didn't quite work though.

So after the next hill or two, I spied a shop and got some grub. Nothing wrong with a full pack of Jaffa Cakes hey :o

Washed down with a Magnum and Ginger Beer :grin:

Saw some trees and got home...

Looking to hear other peoples carbon neutralising projects anytime they gets a chance... More to come from mee as I have a delivery to make to Southport but not sure Covid-rules would allow such a thing!? :???:

Dean

Post by Dean » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:59 am

redefined_cycles wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:40 pm
Just before I start, I'm not sure but from some research of what's openly available of peoples commute info, it would appear I might just have the British (non verified) commute record :grin: happy with that and am even thinking to get a part time job there - Scarbados - to drill it firmly into the non-official record books (Strava off course).
How far have you commuted so far this year? I was doing roughly 120km a week before being furloughed again but I expect you do that in a morning. :oops:

Did your delivery run involve some low bridges on the canal? I can image riding Regent's Canal with a pair of forks scraping the top of every tunnel.

On the opposite end of delivering items I try to buy as little gear as I can get by with (both saving money and materials/packaging) but it does irk me that there are some things which I just cannot find in local shops which require internet shopping. I started walking an hour each way to go food shopping when the ground started to dry up which means my car has not moved for six weeks. I need to remember to try to claim some of my car insurance back as the mileage has decreased so much.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:50 am

Wow... that's amazing Dean about the hour walk for shopping. I just about manage to grab the kids to walk to town for shopping, but still working on it (them and myself).

This year, commutes have been a little bit slower Dean. About 1 full 40 miler so far. 2019 I managed the 80/84 miler commutes to Scarbados 3 times with q 4th that only lasted 64 miles. 2020 saw about 11 x 39.5 milers so that's all O need to aim to topple for this year. Since having the lovely Covid though at the end of last year, I've been much slower at commutes. So still working on getting my timings back...

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:26 pm

Right then, almost lost this here thread. A couple for my arsenel of reducing waste/pollution etc etc.

1. Probably my biggest ever for a long time. Bought a Patagucci jacket for £20 with a knackered zip and needing resizing. Spoke to Dan and he kindly agreed to resize it for me, remove hood and arms and rezipper. Then added it for auction for the projects that deserve it :-bd

2. Hopefully once I've been for a ride with baby (6) I might (visa pending) go and drop the Super C SQR saddlepack to Firestarter. Who knows how old that bag is. Quality speaks for itself and keeps living on :-bd

ton

Post by ton » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm

i retired a couple of weeks ago, prior to that i have cycle commuted for 38 years without fail.

distances varied over the years. wakefield to leeds for 10 years. rothwell to bradford for 5 years and rothwell to armley for 20 years, which was a 6 mile ride, but i rounded it up to 10 each way.
most years were about 5000 commuting miles.

i must have a huge amount in my carbon bank to call upon.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:23 pm

ton wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm
i retired a couple of weeks ago, prior to that i have cycle commuted for 38 years without fail.

distances varied over the years. wakefield to leeds for 10 years. rothwell to bradford for 5 years and rothwell to armley for 20 years, which was a 6 mile ride, but i rounded it up to 10 each way.

Sounds like you do Tony... Well done :-bd

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:08 pm

ton wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm

In response to Tonys outstanding achievement he's earned an Alpkit Hunka XL bivy bag in Yorkshire Blue... Will drop it off this aft. Well done and hope it lasts you well :-bd amazing kit ia this alp stuff :lol:

ton

Post by ton » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:07 pm

nice little delivery of goodies received . perfect Shaf. greatly appreciated. :-bd

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:14 pm

ton wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:07 pm
nice little delivery of goodies received . perfect Shaf. greatly appreciated. :-bd
Thanks Tony. That really was a well earned 'cycle-commuter of the half century' prize. Hope the bag does you well, it really is a good'un and already you're the 3rd owner so a good carbon neutralization right there :-bd

Obviously if it gets miserable in there you have the chocolate to fall back on :o