Midge season

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chambo82

Midge season

Post by chambo82 »

:shock:
https://stv.tv/news/features/1388044-mi ... ting-bugs/
Starting our charity ride around the Cairngorms loop on Monday , can any locals update on the link above please ? Are we going to be eaten alive , and if so what recommendations for preventative measures ?

Cheers
NorwayCalling

Re: Midge season

Post by NorwayCalling »

chambo82 wrote::shock:
Are we going to be eaten alive , and if so what recommendations for preventative measures ?

Cheers
Yes and don't ride below 8 mph... :wink:

Big fan of "Smidge" https://www.smidgeup.com/ as it doesn't destroy nylon (sleeping bag/waterproofs etc) for exposed skin, but the trick is always use a head net and no exposed skin...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In my experience you can get very differing situations in a small area. I've been in the Glenmore Lodge area at the end of August and been eaten alive, walked over to Loch A'an and there's been nothing. Similarly I've been climbing in Glen Etive in June in what should have been prime midge conditions and there was nothing. The problem at this time of year is that the short nights with their low light levels (not dark) are ideal for the little blighters.

The ideal conditions are to have some breeze wherever you decide to stop. Then make sure you are covered up - full length clothing and midge net. Finally make sure you've got some repellent to deal with the clever ones.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's been very little midge activity so far this year.

Overnight temperatures in the Gorms have been dropping below freezing.

The midge don't fly in anything above 5mph.

They don't like direct sunlight.

Smidge.

Armed with the above, you should be just fine.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

chambo82 wrote::shock:
https://stv.tv/news/features/1388044-mi ... ting-bugs/
Starting our charity ride around the Cairngorms loop on Monday , can any locals update on the link above please ? Are we going to be eaten alive , and if so what recommendations for preventative measures ?

Cheers
To be honest, pretty much every year is a bumper year for the wee shites. As above learn to live with 'em!
and check out https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/ although by July everywhere is graded red for midges :mrgreen:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not sure if it was midges but something was biting tonight out in the garden.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:In my experience you can get very differing situations in a small area. I've been in the Glenmore Lodge area at the end of August and been eaten alive, walked over to Loch A'an and there's been nothing.
After a long day I rode past Oykel Bridge (2. time round on HT550) and was really tired from trying to ride as much as possible of the route past Lochinver. So just a few min out of Oykel Bridge I pitched my tarp and bug bivy. It was crazy. Really really bad. Steven F. rode past me that night and found a midge free place only a few more min further... some places seem worse for not obvious reasons. But then it's easy tonfind out. Just stop for a sec and see what happens...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alpinum wrote:
whitestone wrote:In my experience you can get very differing situations in a small area. I've been in the Glenmore Lodge area at the end of August and been eaten alive, walked over to Loch A'an and there's been nothing.
After a long day I rode past Oykel Bridge (2. time round on HT550) and was really tired from trying to ride as much as possible of the route past Lochinver. So just a few min out of Oykel Bridge I pitched my tarp and bug bivy. It was crazy. Really really bad. Steven F. rode past me that night and found a midge free place only a few more min further... some places seem worse for not obvious reasons. But then it's easy tonfind out. Just stop for a sec and see what happens...
Was reading his blog at lunchtime, didn't he find an open barn or something? There's the Old Schoolhouse a couple of Km along Glen Einig as well.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I believe that's what was in the natural alternative I tried. Didn't work for me at all, but I guess skin chemistry comes into it to some degree.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:
Was reading his blog at lunchtime, didn't he find an open barn or something? There's the Old Schoolhouse a couple of Km along Glen Einig as well.
Exactly.
Apparently it was completely midge free. All midges must have been buzzing around my shelter...

Should you wonder why I didn't go any further;
Too happy to have gotten so far in the first place - I was way beyond my planned scedule - and too tired from the quite serious riding after Lochinver. It takes more energy to ride terrain like that than to walk it without being much or any faster. But it's about the fun for me, so I was happy to "ride".
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Avon Skin-so-soft. Midges hate it and you will have a wonderful complexion after ;)
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

htrider wrote: wee shites
:lol:

I hate the little bastards - ruined many a belay in the Peaks and on Skye.... feckers.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Borderer wrote:Avon Skin-so-soft. Midges hate it and you will have a wonderful complexion after ;)
I read somewhere Avon changed the recipe and it doesn't work anymore. Could just be forum rumourz though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There are at least two versions of SSS. There's the normal UK cosmetic type and there's a US version with IR3535 in it. IR3535 is an insect repellant.

IMHO, SSS (UK) has never been a repellant. It works by firming an oily layer that the midge drown in. After a long day out it's not unusual to have a scummy layer of midge on any "treated" skin. And you need to apply it thickly enough to create this layer.

Smidge has an actual repellant (Saltidin) which has been tested to work on both the midge and, importantly, ticks. The former might be annoying, the latter can be deadly. AFAIK there has been no testing of SSS on ticks.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

ScotRoutes wrote:There are at least two versions of SSS. There's the normal UK cosmetic type and there's a US version with IR3535 in it. IR3535 is an insect repellant.

IMHO, SSS (UK) has never been a repellant. It works by firming an oily layer that the midge drown in. After a long day out it's not unusual to have a scummy layer of midge on any "treated" skin. And you need to apply it thickly enough to create this layer.

Smidge has an actual repellant (Saltidin) which has been tested to work on both the midge and, importantly, ticks. The former might be annoying, the latter can be deadly. AFAIK there has been no testing of SSS on ticks.
Colin, how do you apply Smidge to combat ticks? I got them on my feet on Islay - with shorts on do you cover you lower legs/feet and below sock level? Or do you actually go all over under clothing too? Does the Smidge stay on quite well once you get sweating, in your experience? I'd prefer to use this over DEET based products.

I react so badly so I also take an antihistamine as a preventative too.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I react really badly to insect bites too - hence my interest in what works. I always carry an antihistamine cream with me. I've looked at options for an oral antihistamine but I'm a bit concerned over the possibility of drowsiness- especially as my job involves driving passengers.

I apply Smidge to exposed skin. This seems to have worked really well the past two years.

Smidge is pretty waterproof. Saltidin is available in other repellants too but Smidge seems to last longer.

There is still the possibility of ticks latching onto clothing and finding their way onto you of course, so "a bit extra" doesn't go amiss (round the torso for example). Careful handling and storage of clothing also helps - especially if bivvying.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Cheers - I may look at bring a cream with me too - not tried that yet... I don't dose up fully on the oral AntiH but one in the morning seems to help stop really bad reactions without getting me too stoned
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Colin, thanks for clearing up the SSS question for me. Just checked my bottles and no mention of IR3535, made in Poland apparently! Also thanks for the heads up on Smidge, I used to use Jungle Formula which although it worked I was never happy about putting something that could melt plastic on the skin. Can I assume Smidge is widely available? (I'll be back in Scotland June/July)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

PeterC wrote:Colin, thanks for clearing up the SSS question for me. Just checked my bottles and no mention of IR3535, made in Poland apparently! Also thanks for the heads up on Smidge, I used to use Jungle Formula which although it worked I was never happy about putting something that could melt plastic on the skin. Can I assume Smidge is widely available? (I'll be back in Scotland June/July)

Smidge is widely available and can be bought online direct from them too.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As Ian says. It's even available in Tesco.

There's even a bikepackers Smidge now :-)

A bit of nagging last year means it's now available in a lighter-weight, lower-volume container.

I'm about to start lobbying them for a version that has a high-factor SPF too.....
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Thanks guys :-bd
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Never knew smidge kept ticks off too, I take really bad reactions to tick bites and seem to pick more up recently so I'll have to grab a bottle to keep in my frame bag
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

One of my goals for the Highland Trail is to make my peace with the midges as they are an integral part of bikepacking (or any other outdoor activity) in Scotland. I mean they can't be that bad can they? :grin: (And at least you can't get malaria from them)
Got me Smidge and a tick tool today, bring 'em on!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Tick distribution is a bit weird: we never had them on the farm until we bought a plot of land well known locally for them, interestingly the land is where I took my username from. Even though the land was adjoining the rest of the farm we just didn't have a problem until that point. After purchase we would have to dip the sheep twice a year otherwise they'd nearly die. Ticks inject an anticoagulant so that they can feed, fresh blood is normally sticky when you squeeze or rub it between your fingers but a given ewe or lamb would have so many ticks attached that their blood was watery for want of a better word.

Had lots of ticks on me over the years but fortunately none with Lymes Disease.