Short mats for short people...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

cloudnine

Short mats for short people...

Post by cloudnine »

Was eyeing up a new mat.. Mainly summer / autumn use.
I'm a short arse.. @ 5ft 5 but won't quite fit on a short mat.

Was toying with the idea of getting a short mat.. But haven't ever slept on one.
Is it annoying having your feet off the end?
Do your feet get cold?
The bonus side being they are very light and pack small. Worth getting one?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Short mats for short people...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Short doesn't always mean the same thing ... I'm a lofty 5'7" and a small Exped is pretty much full length for me. A short Neo-air on the other hand is actually short and personally a PITA for anything more than a single night.
May the bridges you burn light your way
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

I have a short thermarest. I hate it. Yuk, cold feet!

The short Exped winterlite is properly full length for me at 5'3" and one of the best bits of kit I have ever brought :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

183 cm long (6ft for you lot) and use a short mat. Have done for years. I tend to side sleep foetal which helps.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You don't really need the mat under your head, that's what your pillow's for. So for me at 180cm I can subtract 30cm so should only need a 150cm mat.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

whitestone wrote:You don't really need the mat under your head, that's what your pillow's for. So for me at 180cm I can subtract 30cm so should only need a 150cm mat.
Do you raise your pillow up? I need my pillow on top of my mat to get it high enough

So I end up using a large neoair plus a pillow
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

benp1 wrote:Do you raise your pillow up? I need my pillow on top of my mat to get it high enough

So I end up using a large neoair plus a pillow
Inflatable pillow on its side/edge does it for me, off the top of the Neoair X-lite Short. It helps using an Therm-a-Rest stuffsac/pillowcase to help structurally constrain the pillow's deformity and add comfort over the seam, but works remarkably well in place of a double-height pillow.

The short mat, though — PITA, because it's also too narrow, as I'm a side-sleeper. My old rectangular one was MUCH better, but one of those bulky self-inflaters — nobody seems to do a superlight rect., only mummy-shaped, which is great if you sleep on your back but suboptimal on your side. I need width, not length.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

5'7" and I use a Synmat UL7 S.

I used to use a 3/4 Thermarest with a little Thermarest seatpad making up the difference. In fact, that's still my preference I go Packrafting as the Thermarest makes a good floor for the raft.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Having endured with a short Neoair Xtherm for ages, I am somewhat fed-up as I can never get properly comfortable and ends using both wool socks and down booties to keep my feet warm. So I just ordered a full length womens Neoair Xlite; warmer and lighter than the mens it is perfect for hobbits and only 55g heavier than the Xtherm. I do need to sort out my pillow as I have a dodgy back / neck which needs proper support - the drybag with my riding clothes currently used isn't cutting the mustard!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I find it helps to put my "pillow" inside the hood of my sleeping bag. That stops it moving around so it doesn't even have to be very big.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm one of those fortunate folk who can sleep anywhere with the caveat that I must have a decent pillow. As a side sleeper, I find most camp pillows too low but have found that a Klymit Kush folded into 3 then stuffed inside a 'pillow case' works well. The pillow case has elastic cords which go round the mat and hold it in place ... especially useful with a quilt and no hood.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cool. I've been contemplating quilting and that's something I'd wondered about.
slarge

Post by slarge »

A smidge over 5 ft 6 and a side sleeper, I use a Neoair short, and it is ok, but I have a pillow of a drybag with all the stuff I am not wearing or sleeping in and I keep my feet off the floor with the camelbak, or shoes, or anything to raise them a bit.

Just got a Klymit Inertia X short off the classifieds, and it looks like it might be very uncomfortable. Will trial it as it is very light, but will probably use it once then offload it....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just got a Klymit Inertia X short off the classifieds, and it looks like it might be very uncomfortable. Will trial it as it is very light, but will probably use it once then offload it....
I actually found mine okay, just couldn't use it with a quilt ... that didn't stop me trying mind :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I actually found mine okay, just couldn't use it with a quilt ... that didn't stop me trying mind :-bd
Same here. Surprisingly comfy. Use it with a quilt. Actually I only use it with quilts.
My go to mat is a short NeoAir X-Lite at 182 cm. Love it for short and multiple month long trips.
Could be wider etc. but I sleep well so it can't be that bad.