WRT packing opinions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

WRT packing opinions

Post by Asposium »

Packing my handlebar bag for WRT.
2.2kg
Sleeping bag, sleeping mat, down jacket.
Given the weather have packed a warm sleeping bag.
Is 2.2kg on the heavy side for this trio?

https://www.facebook.com/DavidBirkinAdv ... =3&theater
Bearbonesnorm

Re: WRT packing opinions

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As drybags go, that doesn't look bad. More important will be how well and how high it's secured to the bike ... if it's solid, you shouldn't really notice it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:As drybags go, that doesn't look bad. More important will be how well and how high it's secured to the bike ... if it's solid, you shouldn't really notice it.
Thanks.
I did consider the 2-3 season sleeping bag; however, I want to be warm, so opted for the 3-4 season bag.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

So you got me curious how much my own bar bag setup weighs (tent, mat, down jacket, beanie)...
bar_bag.jpg
bar_bag.jpg (98.65 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
No doubt some of the tarp'ers will come in well under this weight. My harness adds another ~400g to the arrangement. If I opt for a 10L Lomo bag up front, I'll get my ~400g sleeping bag in there as well + the Lomo itself is quite heavy...perhaps another 300-400g again. Adds up pretty quick.

Greetz

S.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Scattamah wrote:So you got me curious how much my own bar bag setup weighs (tent, mat, down jacket, beanie)...
bar_bag.jpg
No doubt some of the tarp'ers will come in well under this weight. My harness adds another ~400g to the arrangement. If I opt for a 10L Lomo bag up front, I'll get my ~400g sleeping bag in there as well + the Lomo itself is quite heavy...perhaps another 300-400g again. Adds up pretty quick.

Greetz

S.
400g for a sleeping bag?
Either VERY expensive, or you're seriously hard core
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Asposium wrote:
Scattamah wrote:So you got me curious how much my own bar bag setup weighs (tent, mat, down jacket, beanie)...
bar_bag.jpg

Greetz

S.
400g for a sleeping bag?
Either VERY expensive, or you're seriously hard core
Indeed - paying lots more money gets you less :roll: A Cumulus 150 quilt is 375g and £125 and a PHD Minimus 200 bag is 460gand £170, both are rated to around 5C. Prices are from when I bought them a couple of years ago.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Ah, there you go.
Just checked the comfort rating of my sleeping bag on the mountain equipment website .....-1C
Though I have used it to -6C in Iceland
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Should weigh mine. contents are -
Revelate Salty Roll - 179g
EE quilt - 578g
XTherm - c. 550g
Borah bivy - 216g
Pillow - c. 90g
Sleep clothes (socks, baselayer top and bottom) - c. 500g

Takes me to around 1.5kg, but harness and pocket on top of that, plus content of pocket (which includes heavy snacks)
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Front bag — 
  • Hunka XL bivi bag — 500g
  • Tarp, cordage, pegs — 600g
  • Sleeping bag + liner — 800g (cheap summer bag, but I'm a warm sleeper)
  • Therm-a-rest mat — 200g
  • Groundsheet — 150g
2.6kg in the dry bag, but light strapped to front of that, plus cache battery on top, so a little more.

I have a smaller dry bag with evening wear — that's another 1kg.

Add on a JetBoil, lights, 1.5kg of food and another 4kg of "stuff" (incl. the bag), plus a 3kg Camelbak and I'm up around 13kg of luggage, including water.

Hmm, might try a bit of TLS between now and Saturday ... :roll:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Pricey - yes. Hardcore - no. Zpacks custom -1C bag; was lucky enough to have a sponsor at the time of acquisition. My only bag and thus an all-rounder. I start getting uncomfortable in it around -5/6C. Have just added RAB mummy silk liner @ 108g to squeeze a little more out. DCF baffles/Pertex outer make it sound like a crisp packet when bone dry. Top/bottom view below. Buy well, buy once.
one_bag_for_all.jpg
one_bag_for_all.jpg (138.45 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Greetz

S.
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

I'm curious...if you're packing your tent/bivvy along with your sleeping bag/down jacket, what happens on the second day when the tent/bivvy are inevitably wet. Do you separate them into individual dry bags and if so doesn't that make them pack up less well?
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

my kit is way heavy compared to usual ... but i do have a 2 man tent in my bar harnes.... hahahaha. atleast eve has the food and stove ... yey touring ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have a smaller dry bag with evening wear — that's another 1kg.
Err what is this evening year of which you speak?
I'm curious...if you're packing your tent/bivvy along with your sleeping bag/down jacket, what happens on the second day when the tent/bivvy are inevitably wet. Do you separate them into individual dry bags and if so doesn't that make them pack up less well?
My general thinking too. Sleeping kit always packet away from tarp, groundsheet and anything else which is likey to become wet.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

crewlie wrote:I'm curious...if you're packing your tent/bivvy along with your sleeping bag/down jacket, what happens on the second day when the tent/bivvy are inevitably wet. Do you separate them into individual dry bags and if so doesn't that make them pack up less well?
Good question — this is my first bikepacking expedition, so I'm probably over-thinking it, but I have the tarp in its own waterproof-ish bag, the Hunka rolls into its own foot, and my sleeping bag and mat are in a reversible stuffsac/pillowcase inside the proper drybag ... hmm, I thought that stuffsac was waterproof, but it's not sold as such, so I might wrap it inside a carrier bag.

Anyway, I don't own any down (yet*), so if the bag gets a bit wet then I should still be warm; and I keep my jacket (Permaloft) in a drybag in the Camelbak.

* never, if Mrs W notices in time ...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Individual stuff sacks for me - I prefer logical separation. Sleeping bag gets double bagged for transport. Will get mildly damp from the air but never wet. Jacket is so light it dries on me in minutes.

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've taken to putting the tent in a compression dry bag / tarp in a dry bag. More options for where I put what then.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

crewlie wrote:I'm curious...if you're packing your tent/bivvy along with your sleeping bag/down jacket, what happens on the second day when the tent/bivvy are inevitably wet. Do you separate them into individual dry bags and if so doesn't that make them pack up less well?
I forgot to add the Neoair inflating bag to my list
benp1 wrote:Should weigh mine. contents are -
Revelate Salty Roll - 179g
EE quilt - 578g
XTherm - c. 550g
Borah bivy - 216g
Pillow - c. 90g
Sleep clothes (socks, baselayer top and bottom) - c. 500g

Takes me to around 1.5kg, but harness and pocket on top of that, plus content of pocket (which includes heavy snacks)
My mat gets rolled up in my bivi, which then goes in the inflating bag. Or sometimes my sleeping bag goes in the inflating bag

So anything vaguely damp is separate. Anything wet is completely separate
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Either one of the dual ended Wildcat dry bags or dry stuff in the main dry bag then put another dry bag inside that and pack the damp/wet stuff in that. I.e. don't put wet stuff in a bag then put that bag inside the other, do it the other way round. Ideally though you have as much separation between wet and dry stuff as possible.

If the dry kit does get damp then if the sun does come out it's worth stopping during the day and getting it all out to dry off. You can of course do this whilst having lunch or general breather.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Single Speed George wrote:my kit is way heavy compared to usual ... but i do have a 2 man tent in my bar harnes.... hahahaha. atleast eve has the food and stove ... yey touring ;)
aren't you supposed to be self sufficient? :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Scattamah wrote:Individual stuff sacks for me - I prefer logical separation.
Same here. I have a number of drybags in various colours and sizes. I have a packing routine that means the same things always go in the same bags. That also helps when trying to organise life under a tarp etc.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

I don't bother weighing stuff I just take what I like.if I want to take less weight ill stop eating biscuits a month before the event can loose half a stone quite easily.
I seem to take the same stuff for a week as for 2 nights just less food :| :mrgreen:
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

I just stuff the down sleeping bag in the sweet roll I'm not botherd if it's gets wet as its got a event shell and dry zip,no big bag needed :mrgreen:
Mr Arbuckle

Post by Mr Arbuckle »

windjammer wrote:I just stuff the down sleeping bag in the sweet roll I'm not botherd if it's gets wet as its got a event shell and dry zip,no big bag needed :mrgreen:
Aha, a fellow Crux torpedo owner :-bd similarly, I'm not too fussed :ugeek:
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

^^^^^^^^^ yeah best bag i bought, its cheap because the sleeping bag stays dry for a week in winter trips :shock:
Mr Arbuckle

Post by Mr Arbuckle »

windjammer wrote:^^^^^^^^^ yeah best bag i bought, its cheap because the sleeping bag stays dry for a week in winter trips :shock:
Yuup, the cost to longevity ratio means its not really that expensive - my 700 was purchased in the sale and was reduced from £799 down to £524 - Bargain!! the 1450g weight is also worth it for the -11 comfort and -29 extreme rating. Did me proud for 3 days on Dartmoor at the end of December last year.