Is this a thick idea?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pirahna

Is this a thick idea?

Post by Pirahna »

Last year the company I work for was going through merger negotiations, the merger agreement was signed at the beginning of November. Morale was quite low and training of any sort dropped off to a trickle. I've had no work to do since the agreement was signed other than to sit tight and wait for redundancy. Our office is closing and all we've had to go on is rumours, the one that seemed most likely was that we would be there until October at the earliest to decommission the server room (there's around 50 racks of kit). I do suffer occasionally with a bad back, lack of training does it no favours at all. It got bad around Christmas, I've been putting the effort in with Yoga and it's about as good as it gets now.

Last Friday I got told my last day at work will be Tuesday 2nd of May. :grin: The package is OK and I now find myself in a position where I don't need to work for a few months, basically the summer off with nothing to do but ride my bike. The question is, given my lack of current fitness would I be stupid to be in Banff for the end of July for a couple of months riding the Divide?
ianfitz

Re: Is this a thick idea?

Post by ianfitz »

Pirahna wrote:Last year the company I work for was going through merger negotiations, the merger agreement was signed at the beginning of November. Morale was quite low and training of any sort dropped off to a trickle. I've had no work to do since the agreement was signed other than to sit tight and wait for redundancy. Our office is closing and all we've had to go on is rumours, the one that seemed most likely was that we would be there until October at the earliest to decommission the server room (there's around 50 racks of kit). I do suffer occasionally with a bad back, lack of training does it no favours at all. It got bad around Christmas, I've been putting the effort in with Yoga and it's about as good as it gets now.

Last Friday I got told my last day at work will be Tuesday 2nd of May. :grin: The package is OK and I now find myself in a position where I don't need to work for a few months, basically the summer off with nothing to do but ride my bike. The question is, given my lack of current fitness would I be stupid to be in Banff for the end of July for a couple of months riding the Divide?
If you can afford the time and the money and the idea is in your head then you'd be stupid not to! If you are planning on taking 8 weeks to ride it you can start steady, regain your fitness and throw in a few shorter or rest days if you need them.

There's also quite a while between now and end of july to get some fitness.

One thing I'm not sure of is what conditions will be like then, warm in some places I guess.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

I think you'd regret not doing it far more than trying and failing! If you can afford it and have decent enough fitness to be ready between now and then give it a go!
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Steezysix wrote:I think you'd regret not doing it far more than trying and failing!
Just do it, if you cant think of any boring or sensible reasons not to. Do it.
Sarah
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Looks like you have time to ride at your own pace - I'd be giving it a go.

As Ian says, you have got plenty of time to build your fitness.

Say hello to Bob for me whilst your there.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

If you can afford it, then do it. Maybe not as a race but as a Tour and you'll be grand. I'm sure the old saying of "you'll ride into fitness" will come true :-bd

Perhaps go NoBo and pass the racers?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

When will you get the opportunity again? JFDI.

The only downside to riding the divide is knowing that I won't be doing it again this year. :sad:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:If you can afford it, then do it. Maybe not as a race but as a Tour and you'll be grand. I'm sure the old saying of "you'll ride into fitness" will come true :-bd

Perhaps go NoBo and pass the racers?
Hmm. There's two descents in Montana I wouldn't want to push up! :lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

If you have the money, the time, have no family ties that stop you going and DON'T race then yes go for it you lucky bugger
cragrat73

Post by cragrat73 »

Echoing the comments before, go for it, you can ride into fitness on the way and having seen family members taken from us too soon. Live while you can.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Time and money, it's very rare that you have both at the same time and in sufficient quantity to enable things like this to happen ... that's all I'm saying :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Exactly what i did last year. Redundant end March. Decided to do the GDMBR in May. Started in Banff 1st August. Finished Antelope Wells 30th September.

I wasn't and am not a very fit 51 year old. I did 600 miles round Scotland to work up my fitness and test my kit. I took my time, and allowed for plenty of rest days. Oldest guy i met doing it was 75. I also met a couple towing their 13 month son in a trailer (10 months old when started) :shock:

Loved every minute of it apart from a couple of wobbles; one on Day 1 when saw my first grizzly bear sub standard on the trail and freaked, and in New Mexico when some news at home made me really homesick.

The actual "trail" is quite boring 5% singletrack 30% road 65% gravel. But the ever changing scenery is stunning. I got really good weather as well. Apart from one overnight mother of all storms and a couple of wet days, no rain for 7 weeks (and then a blizzard in New Mexico). The Americans i met on the trail were a lesson in kindness and generosity. Every town has a micro brewery or two as well :-bd

I got masses of brilliant help from Greg, JohnnyStorm and JamesO of this parish, which made a huge difference to both my confidence and preperation.

Brilliant experience, you wont regret it. PM me if need more info :grin:
The only downside to riding the divide is knowing that I won't be doing it again this year. :sad:

Man that is so true. Really want to do it again!
Last edited by wriggles on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Do it.

Contemplate the time you're going to take, look at how the weather impacts the route, then decide if you want t go earlier or later.

July run SoBo will involve dealing with thunderstorms throughout Colorado and then immense heat in New Mexico. Montana and Canada will be fly and mosquito heaven either way. Idaho is a blip.

If it was me, and I had no time constraints to when I needed to come back, I'd rock up for the first week in June and tour down the route enjoying myself for two months. If you get stuck in the mud in NM with the monsoon, who cares, you're touring, not racing.

Again.

Do it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think there's an echo in here :roll:

Unless there's any other circumstances you've not mentioned, I'd be out in Banff if I were you. You've got the money and the time and opportunity, you'll kick yourself if you pass it up.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

johnnystorm wrote:Hmm. There's two descents in Montana I wouldn't want to push up! :lol:
Yeah...the back side of Stemple Pass and Lava Mountain...I wouldn't want to ride up those.

Do it. You won't regret it. Especially if you've got time to take it easy and look around. The Basin is something special as is the Flathead valley section.

Greetz

S.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

To use the old quotation - do you think anyone ever lay on their death bed and said 'I wish I had spent more time in the office'?
Back in the day when I could cherry pick contracts I used to work nine months then crew yachts out to the Caribbean for three months.
Never regretted a moment of it even when it all turned to worms and lives were at stake.
Looking back I think its the things I didn't do that stick rather than things I achieved.
Good luck.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Thanks for all the replies, it's very much appreciated. I'm already in possession of maps and a copy of Bear Attacks, so I suppose it's pretty much a done deal.
thedude

Post by thedude »

Rarely post , just read, but do it, even if you don't get all the way you want to with the time / funds you have, what an adventure.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Daft question (never stopped me in the past!), if your free time starts in May, why not set off earlier?

Guessing snow will be the factor in this but perhaps tour other parts of North America first?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

voodoo_simon wrote:Daft question (never stopped me in the past!), if your free time starts in May, why not set off earlier?
I like your thinking but wifey might not be too keen. Sadly the outside of the house needs painting plus there's list of other humdrum jobs she's dreamt up, I'll plan on a late July departure from the UK. At the moment she's threatening to fly out with her bike at the end of the ride for a holiday.