R.A.P.H.A. travel. If you thought the clothing was pricey...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

R.A.P.H.A. travel. If you thought the clothing was pricey...

Post by ianfitz »

You can go on a week long Pyreneen traverse with them for £4000!

wow
jam bo

Re: R.A.P.H.A. travel. If you thought the clothing was price

Post by jam bo »

But just think of all the moody black and white photos you'll get out of it...
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

That was roughly the budget for two of us to cycle across Canada.

OK, I'll admit that occasionally the food was a tad short of "cuisine" standard and there was that week of headwind and rain when the prospect of another night under canvas wasn't thrilling me. But I'd definitely rather do that again than spend a week in the company of people who would drop 4k to Crikey, how much for a week of ticking off hills in France.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

cyclingtiger wrote:That was roughly the budget for two of us to cycle across Canada.

OK, I'll admit that occasionally the food was a tad short of "cuisine" standard and there was that week of headwind and rain when the prospect of another night under canvas wasn't thrilling me. But I'd definitely rather do that again than spend a week in the company of people who would drop 4k to Expensive hipster brand for a week of ticking off hills in France.
Quite.

I was mentally listing the trips possible with 4,000£ in my pocket.

Also thinking that Lynn and Darryl do a Pyreneen traverse trip most years. Probably a 1/4 of the cost. Plus excellent guiding and company!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I'm probably missing the point but isn't this like comparing a 3star hotel to a 5 star hotel?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

You could spend less on a holiday, you could also spend more.

What is your point, as they have been doing similar trips for ages?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richpips wrote:You could spend less on a holiday, you could also spend more.

What is your point, as they have been doing similar trips for ages?
Just that it strikes me as an astronomical sum for a weeks holiday. Only just noticed that this is a thing.

Not a hater though BTW. Own several of their item (all bought in the sale or donated to me) and have worn a brevet jersey of theirs all winter.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

cyclingtiger wrote:That was roughly the budget for two of us to cycle across Canada.

OK, I'll admit that occasionally the food was a tad short of "cuisine" standard and there was that week of headwind and rain when the prospect of another night under canvas wasn't thrilling me. But I'd definitely rather do that again than spend a week in the company of people who would drop 4k to Expensive hipster brand for a week of ticking off hills in France.

And they'd probably rather stay in a nice hotel than ride with someone who just admitted they didn't have fun on their cheap holiday! :lol:

I'm just off to look in HELLO magazine and I'll furiously report back on what extravagances Kanye West has had on hols. :wink:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Just that it strikes me as an astronomical sum for a weeks holiday. Only just noticed that this is a thing.

I know a couple of fellas who've been on their trips. Top accommodation, good food, good wine, soigneurs, bikes fettled for you, broom wagon and great tour guides was what I heard. Basically riding bikes, but being really well looked after.

A proper Holiday. ;)
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

My sister blows £4000 sunning herself by a pool in the Caribbean. It'd be a nightmare if we all wanted the same holidays/stuff/events.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Did a very memorable Geneva-Nice supported road tour with KE a few years back, guest starring Graeme Obree. Can't think how it could have been better, and it was less than half the cost of this. Sure, I can understand why people with the money to throw at it will be attracted to the brand, and I know a few well-heeled gentlemen who have done multiple Crikey, how much trips, but not for me.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Do you get a free coffee machine and beard trim?
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

biggaygibbon wrote:Do you get a free coffee machine and beard trim?
and henna-knuckle-tattoos that say "B I K E T W A T"
benp1

Post by benp1 »

It is a ridiculous amount of money if you're used to slumming in fields and bothys

But for many people they want the nice things in life and are happy to pay for it.

I don't want to (PAY to)stay in a 5 star hotel with my own butler. I'd do it if it was cheap or free, but that's missing the point isn't it

We spend money on what's important to us
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very true. How many of us began riding bikes and thought even something mid-range was stupidly expensive, yet now would happily(ish) consider spending twice as much on a frame?

Certain aspirational brands will always command a price that most of us can't quantify and this is a prime example, whether it be a holiday or a jersey ... I must admit, I was a little surprised to see 'made in China' printed on the label of my Raph@ top mind. Anyway, I think the problem arises when people know the price of everything and the value of nowt.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Very true. How many of us began riding bikes and thought even something mid-range was stupidly expensive, yet now would happily(ish) consider spending twice as much on a frame?
When I started I remember looking at bikes of a particular price range as utterly ridiculous. No way would I ever spend such money on a bike; purest insanity.

I now own two bikes costing well in excess of that particular price, with probably two more to come next year. :oops:
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Richard G wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
When I started I remember looking at bikes of a particular price range as utterly ridiculous. No way would I ever spend such money on a bike; purest insanity.

I now own two bikes costing well in excess of that particular price, with probably two more to come next year. :oops:
however bikes that cost more are oftain thechnically superour in materials or technlogy ... or at least hand made in a shed by a bearded bloke... where as i can get a similar cycling cap or jersey elsewhere that costs allot less than one saying the R word and possibly better quality or technically ....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

however bikes that cost more are oftain thechnically superour in materials or technlogy ... or at least hand made in a shed by a bearded bloke... where as i can get a similar cycling cap or jersey elsewhere that costs allot less than one saying the R word and possibly better quality or technically ....
That is all true George but it doesn't account for -
Certain aspirational brands will always command a price that most of us can't quantify
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think there's just as much label-premium in bikes as clothing, maybe more. Thinking of some of the brand names I see on racks next to each other in factories, the amount of 'custom butted / lay up' stuff said in marketing compared to what variables I know can be bought off the shelf .. how a sticker on a tube can add value but no material advantage, etc .. with clothing perhaps you can get a clearer feel of it all, the cut, quality and durability. From what I know of bikes and a bit about clothing and Crikey, how much, I'm not sure there's any more premium on their kit (less maybe) over a number of bike brands that don't get the same level of .. whats's the word, ire? No, just 'cynicism' maybe. Perhaps just because it's clothing and clothing is so associated with image?

Whereas a 4k week holiday - appreciate it or not, values aside etc - most of us can tell a 5-star hotel and really good food with all the frills from a 2-star hostel plus a chippy dinner : )
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

where as i can get a similar cycling cap or jersey elsewhere that costs allot less than one saying the R word and possibly better quality or technically
This is not true ignoring the cap. I've bought most of the cheap clothing brands out there over the years.

There are other quality manufacturers. but not any cheap ones I know of.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Richpips wrote:
where as i can get a similar cycling cap or jersey elsewhere that costs allot less than one saying the R word and possibly better quality or technically
This is not true ignoring the cap. I've bought most of the cheap clothing brands out there over the years.

There are other quality manufacturers. but not any cheap ones I know of.
I said costs less not cheap ... but have a fair amount of perfectly good kit that I have got for pretty good value endura stuff for example functional, long lasting etc etc , not overly expensive. But if you want to spend ur money on expensive stuff be my guest , I will keep my money for petrol for Scotland trips every other weekend in the winter and saving for bikepacking in Nepal later this year , and be happy with my perfectly functional and long lasting aldi base layers , on one marino tops and endura shorts ;) ... though I am so stingy that I only recently brought a real seat pack after years of strapping a dry bag to my seat post , and am a moral enough to have a super light down bag from china so I am possibly not the intended audience (even if as an industrial designer I should have more taste than I do hahaha)
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Endura, unless things have changed recently - shabby. I've got a load of former national champs stuff here, it's poor quality.

I'm with you George though, if it's a choice between swanky gear and diesel for a road trip, or a plane ticket, I'll take a chance on (another) blister on my arse. :shock:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Single supplement, .....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I could go for a cycling butler.