Them there Pole a bear poles Stu is flogging..

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Them there Pole a bear poles Stu is flogging..

Post by Teetosugars »

Specifically the MLD trailster ones..
What height are they?

I've just got one of those Ali express 'trail star's and as such, need poles for it..
Oh, and tips on set ups too.

Coming from a military background when all tarps had to be maximum of knee height from the ground etc, etc, any tips on a more 'comfortable approach' would be ace. :oops:
ScotRoutes

Re: Them there Pole a bear poles Stu is flogging..

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lots of approaches Nick. I still like the Flying Vee as it's very open to one side, sheltered from the rest and can be set up with one pole (using the bike or a stick as a lifter if wanted). Really needs a waterproof bivvy bag to work though.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I think scotroutes is talking about tarps rather than the TrAliStar

I've pitched mine twice, once to try it, the other to seam seal it

I used poles that were 110 and 100cm as that's what I have. I think the recommended ones are 120 and 110cm. Most use walking poles, which is what I'd use if I wasn't on the bike, as they're adjustable

There are loads of reviews on the trailstar, I found a blog with some interesting set ups, can't remember the name now though
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Stuart can make them any length too. I use one he made with a 15cm end section. So it can do high pitch or low in the trailstar
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/dzjow.co ... lstar/amp/

This page has a few useful ideas

Mike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find the TS pitches very well with a 120cm centre pole. I supply a 100cm 'door' pole but anything around that height will do. The two could be swapped round if conditions dictate.

Mike's link ... what's described as a Storm pitch would generally be viewed by most people as a standard pitch and what's described as a 'standard' pitch is really more suited to calmer, drier conditions when you don't require so much coverage and would like to maximise space.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Should just say ... the 'Storm' pitch in the link is very low (short centre pole). A longer (than pictured) pole will make that pitch much more friendly to use.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I usually pitch in "standard mode" as Noted above by Bearbonesnorm or Storm Mode from the link with a120cm pole. Bike or stick or another pole if I've brought it, for the door.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I was playing around with mine which I just got last Friday. I found the standard pitch, with 120cm centre pole a pretty good all round option. I think 130 cm could be good in more sheltered or calmer conditions, and (as I sometimes kayak in the Med) I could see a very high pitch, sort of maximum extension on walking poles quite good far providing ventilation with shade, would catch the wind though. At the lower end I tried 100cm which got the side panels down to ground level and even tried 80cm, but at that height was was losing interior space, though it could be very useful on occasion.
All in all I'm very impressed with the trailstar as it offers much more versatility than I thought a shaped tarp would.
I particularly like the one where instead of using the mid panel as the entrance you use instead the angle/seamed part, gives a huge open doorway for lying back watching the world go past.
Even my wife thought she might like to give this bivvying lark a go after she saw it up in the garden, only if it's not raining though :lol:
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Cheers All.
Truly appreciated.
Just need to order some poles mow, and start (dicking around) practicing pitching in the garden then. :-bd
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Oh, and Stu, do you do a 120cm pole?
And when are the DAC ones coming back in, I'm not bothered about the weight penalty.. :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh, and Stu, do you do a 120cm pole?
Yes, there'a a TS pair that contains a 100cm + 120cm or you can buy a 120cm on its own .. custom / one-off also.
And when are the DAC ones coming back in, I'm not bothered about the weight penalty..
Still now firm eta, sorry. However, it's too flexy for TS centre pole use.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Right,

Shelter specific MLD trailstar ones ordered..

So, pitching the thing, having come from a military background, where a standard A frame 18" above ground was the norm, any advice?

:oops:
Last edited by Teetosugars on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It'll arrive with the long front line attached in a position that'll produce what I'd call a standard TS pitch ... so, peg each corner down but don't peg down the points between them. There's no need to pull the material too tight, so leave a little free material between the pegs.

Pop the pole inside while holding the front / long line. With the pole inside, pull the long line tight and fasten it your front pole and peg the line out.

Go round the pegging points making small adjustments until everything's nice and tight / not flappy :-bd

Sounds worse than it is. :wink: