Exposure flare

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Exposure flare

Post by Mike »

After seeing zippy n slarges flare at the winter event iv gone a bought one. Has anyone felt the need to put a small cabe tie over the whole thing to stop it coming out of its housing or are they fine as they are?
voodoo_simon

Re: Exposure flare

Post by voodoo_simon »

Mines about three years old (rear flare) and never felt the need to do that.

Never moved once once it's mounted :-bd

Damn good light though, much prefer battery lights for the rear
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Exposure mounts are top notch. I've only ever had an issue with the diablo on a handlebar mount (with rigid forks over some rocks - whilst getting a flat tyre!) - but that's because it's a helmet light really IMHO. Image
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Occasionally a bouncing saddlepack nudges it sideways (and has worn a flat onto it!) But its never bounced out.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Never had it bounce out but if you go for the re-chargeable batteries, the stock charger is rubbish, I'm on my third (under warranty) and its packing in now. Also squirt a bit of wd40 into the end of the body as corrosion forms between the battery spring and the body which makes the light flicker on and off.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Super. This had to be the best rear light iv bought ever :-bd

That good I bought two!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Be careful when getting rechargeable batteries, they all seem to be a marginally different length - coz they generally have an inbuilt bit of circuitry at the positiive end. This will mean sometimes than you haven't got quite the same connection as a disposable battery, and if you tap it, it changes modes between flashing and constant. I actually had to make a shim for my previous flare to make the connection work. Anyway, I lost that one and have my new one - which I only use bikepacking with disposable batteries (which seem to last ages, done two BB200s and a variety of other nights on one battery so far!).

I use a tracer for commuting coz it's usb cable rechargeable.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Zippy wrote:Anyway, I lost that one and have my new one - which I only use bikepacking with disposable batteries (which seem to last ages, done two BB200s and a variety of other nights on one battery so far!).
I didn't realise you could stick disposable batteries into it; what kind do you use and do you have a preferred brand/supplier?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I bought 10 Panasonic's for some vaguely reasonable price!
This one is still on the original exposure one that cane with it.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Just twigged I have a Tracer, not a Flare. Any idea how it compares? Need a disposable battery light for multi-day trips, that's not too chunky.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: I have a Tracer, not a Flare. Any idea how it compares?
They're pretty similar, just one uses a replaceable battery, and the other is built in with the usb charging socket. I can take a photo of the two next to each other later on today if you want. They can both use the tracer bracket (but the tracer can’t be used on the flare bracket).
Tracer has 3 brightness modes (and steady state + flashing on each), the flare is just flashing or constant (or off, obviously!).