I just can't do it ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: I just can't do it ...

Post by Ian »

Yeah, the swear filter probably needs its own thread :lol:

I like how some of the actual swear words it replaces can be adjective, noun or verb. E.g:

"Oh sub standard, I've got a puncture"
"It broke. That's a bit sub standard"
"That last trail was covered in sheep sub standard"
Or
"That last piece of trail was a bit shuffle"
"Came round a corner in the forest and there was a bloke getting a shuffle from his girlfriend"

So the substitution doesn't always make sense, but amusing nonetheless.
Gari

Post by Gari »

That last one could be both swear filter friendly and factually correct :shock:
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Drifting back into making Road orientated geared bikes more off road suitable, what us the most cost effective way of doing this? My Cdf runs tiagra 4700 throughout with a 34/34 as the lowest possible gear which, from stu's comments, sound like it's not going to be low enough. If I want to change this it looks like I would have to change a whole load of parts as 34/34 appears to be the minimum tiagra will deal with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not familiar with Tiagra but would a change of rear mech' and cassette allow you to fit a 40 or 42t out back?

I fitted friction bare-end shifters to my Arkose which allowed me to fit whatever gear components I liked - luckily.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

mechanicaldope wrote:Drifting back into making Road orientated geared bikes more off road suitable, what us the most cost effective way of doing this? My Cdf runs tiagra 4700 throughout with a 34/34 as the lowest possible gear which, from stu's comments, sound like it's not going to be low enough. If I want to change this it looks like I would have to change a whole load of parts as 34/34 appears to be the minimum tiagra will deal with.
Fairly sure you'll get a bigger cassette on if you use a road link. A little device that moves your mech hanger down a smidge.
18 bikes import road links and will advise what's feasible. Give them a call 01433 621111

Is that tiagra 9 or 10 speed? The cassette may be the issue if it's 9.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

It's a 10 speed setup. That road link maybe worth looking into. Will do that.

The problem with changing the mech is that this will almost certainly involve a change of shifter as well. Probably looking at £100+ for new mech, cassette and shifter.
Gari

Post by Gari »

As Ian says, the road link will work. I use one on my CX bike with a 105 mech if I want to use a 36t cassette. It was on my tourer too before I swapped to 1x11. Very useful widget.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mech should be fine with a road link. I've used 10 speed 105 mech with 11-36 as 2x and 11-40 as 1x. All worked fine.

Road link, new cassette, new chain
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

According to 18bikes, with my 2x and mid cage RD I will be able to get to a 36 tooth max. Would still be the best part of £100 to get there as well. Think that for only a 2 tooth gain I am probably better off getting one of Stu's stickers!