Saturday morning Grump.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Saturday morning Grump.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Land’s End To Bristol MTB Adventure.

No prizes for guessing what this one’s about – it’s a 6-day event that will take riders from Land’s End at the start, to Bristol about 290 miles away. About half of it will be off-road, with much of the course taking in bridleways, byways, singletrack, woodland, moorland, trail centre’s, urban and more.

So far, so good.

If you love the idea of bikepacking, but you’d like to do it in a semi-supported fashion that involves camping along the way, then this is your ticket to multi-day saddle time bliss!

Now I'm getting confused.

The event itself, starting the following day from Land’s End, will be split into 6 riding days and will include 6 nights camping. Entrants luggage will be transferred daily to the next overnight stop/finish line. The 6 camping stopovers will include phone/gadget charging facilities, access to workstands/tools/cleaning equipment and a buffet breakfast.

And now I'm wondering why the term 'bikepacking' has been included in this press release at all ... other than the obvious reason but perhaps I'm just cynical. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scott L

Re: Saturday morning Grump.

Post by Scott L »

Agreed, surely this is just a Stage Race? Nothing to do with bikepacking...
Or a stage race without the 'race' part...
Last edited by Scott L on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I like the look of that route : )
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Just a bike ride with all your sh1t driven around for you. Glad to see there's "gadget charging". It'd be bloody awful without a smartphone during every waking moment :roll:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

To be fair to Epic events there's no mention of bikepacking that I can see on their website.

It's STW that have used the 'B' word. Unless they are just quoting from a press release.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was wondering when a thread on this would appear here....

I was mostly wondering why it would take so long to traverse such a small part of the country.

There are lots of similar events - C2C, Delloitte RAB (though that's on tarmac).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was wondering when a thread on this would appear here....
Glad I haven't disappointed :wink:

I will admit that mentioning it does actually make me feel like a grumpy b'stard but it does seem to be another mild examaple of the dumbing down and partial sanitising of bikepacking. I've always maintained that bikepacking will never become truly popular because it's hard, requires a degree of effort and maybe even discomfort* ... dressing something else up to look like it, won't alter that fact. :wink:

*this will depend on personal attitude
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The perfect storm will be a bikepacking trip that involves e-bikes, luggage transfer and open bothies.

Kickstarter anyone?
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

ScotRoutes wrote:The perfect storm will be a bikepacking trip that involves e-bikes, luggage transfer and open bothies.

Kickstarter anyone?
Portable generator at the bothy to recharge the bikes?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

obvs
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

jam bo wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:The perfect storm will be a bikepacking trip that involves e-bikes, luggage transfer and open bothies.

Kickstarter anyone?
Will there be internet connection?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ray Young wrote:
jam bo wrote:

Kickstarter anyone?
Will there be internet connection?
How will folk upload the Instagram shots without?

This strikes me as lazy journalism rather than an event which is misrepresenting it's self.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

To be fair, it doesn't actually say it's a bikepacking event, it says "if you like the idea of a bikepacking event" and leaves you to fill in the implied "but don't want any of the actual hardship, but are prepared to pay someone a [probably, I haven't looked] obscene amount of money to do those bits for you" then you might like this event. Which is probably true.

In the same way that sportives aren't my thing, but if other people want to do them, I have no problem with that.

If they were selling it as "bikepacking" they'd be wrong, but it doesn't make them evil either.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This strikes me as lazy journalism rather than an event which is misrepresenting it's self.
Probably true Ian as I just copied the text from STW, however, it did look like a press release although it might not be.

My point, was simply surprise / bemusement that the term 'bikepacking' had found its way into those paragraphs. I think thenorthwind should write their copy from now on, as this seems to describe things perfectly :wink:
"but don't want any of the actual hardship, but are prepared to pay someone a [probably, I haven't looked] obscene amount of money to do those bits for you" then you might like this event.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'm with you on the bemusement. Although its quite amusing that bikepacking has become an aspirational pursuit.

If only people knew the truth :shock:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Aye. They've clearly never actually met any actual bikepackers.

Not something you'd want to aspire to. :lol:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I have done overseas trips before where the 'support crew'' moved all our kit, and catered for the group in camp, allowing unencumbered riding on some great trails. I would do so again in certain circumstances, particularly in remote areas where the logistics of going unsupported can be quite daunting, or where the trails are too technical for a loaded bike. However I am too tight to pay relatively large sums for this luxury on my doorstep, particularly when the distances between camps are relatively short. But I understand that a lot of time and effort will have gone into the route planning and recce, so they have to recoup those costs.

I would still love to get hold of the GPX and do this over a long weekend...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Although its quite amusing that bikepacking has become an aspirational pursuit.
How could you not aspire to this?

dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:I have done overseas trips before where the 'support crew'' moved all our kit, and catered for the group in camp, allowing unencumbered riding on some great trails. I would do so again in certain circumstances, particularly in remote areas where the logistics of going unsupported can be quite daunting, or where the trails are too technical for a loaded bike. However I am too tight to pay relatively large sums for this luxury on my doorstep, particularly when the distances between camps are relatively short. But I understand that a lot of time and effort will have gone into the route planning and recce, so they have to recoup those costs.

I would still love to get hold of the GPX and do this over a long weekend...
It will be on Strava about 30 seconds after it finishes!
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

From the description of the route and living down here, there is going to be a sub standard load of road sections to join the route up.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Sounds like my 2017 WRT plans are sorted
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Can't stop laughing at the umbrella caption
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Epic have all of the routes they developed online as gpx so guess this one will be too
Matt

Post by Matt »

Dave Barter wrote:Can't stop laughing at the umbrella caption
Pretty sure I lost vision due to dehydrated-ness

So umbrella is quite ironic
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't stop laughing at the umbrella caption
Try this one Dave ... a little more subtle but oh so apt.