Fargo set up assistance - Tiagra hydro

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Fargo set up assistance - Tiagra hydro

Post by Scud »

Tried posting this on STW forum and didn't get very far...

I have 11 speed Shimano RS685 shifter + hydraulic brakes on road bike and love them, but building my Fargo ready for putting the miles in, in prep for French Divide.

Being a Fargo and having that old problem of trying to bodge together road and MTB components, i previously just had 9 speed Deore/105 mix with BB7's which i eventually killed with a winters commuting.

Original plan was to knit together 10 Speed Ultegra shifters, Ultergra front mech, XT 9 speed rear mech and XT cranks, giving 2 X 10 and was tossing up between TRP Spyres and the hydro callipers they do.

BUT, I am sure there is a Tiagra 10 speed hydraulic STI/brake combo now, so plan changed to using those levers with XT callipers i already have (from reading new hydro brakes from Shimano are Flat Mount) giving a lighter/ more powerful brake? But Googling Tiagra hydraulic brakes doesn't bring anything up?

Can i get the following working together:
Tiagra hydro STI's (if they actually exist) mated to XT callipers i have.
Ultegra 10 speed front mech i have
9 Speed, long cage XT rear mech, which i understand has same pull ratio as 10 speed STI's
11-42 Sunrace Cassette
XT cranks with Middleburn 40/28 rings

It was suggested that new 10 speed Tiagra STI's no longer work with 9 speed rear mech, but that 11 speed rear mech may play nicely?
ianfitz

Re: Fargo set up assistance - Tiagra hydro

Post by ianfitz »

Ive looked into this and ruled it out:

There are tiagra level 10 speed hydro shifters.

They come as standard with direct mount calipers.

The levers are available separately-£150 a side as I remember. You can use any post mount caliper with them.

J tec shiftmate will allow 10 speed road sifted to properly operate a 10 speed Mtb mech. Not sure which one - phone SJS and ask them.

I ruled it out due to the expense and hassle.

Also I got a very good deal on some ultegra level 11 speed shifters that came with xt post mount calipers.

Apparently an 11 speed cassette will fit on a 10 speed hub so long as it's 36 teeth or bigger. 40/42 is better
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I have heard that the tiagra levers have a different cable pull but that seems strange to me and I've not looked into it.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Thanks for that Ian.

My reasoning was i really like the Shimano hydro brakes on road bike and have had enough of BB7's.

I already have the callipers so the Tiagra seemed to fit the bill.

Evans have both sides for £260, i then get a further 10% off via work, so didn't seem too bad in price

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-rs4 ... 0wod-XcOLg

I'll try and email Madison, maybe they are best to confirm pull ratio?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Just checked and am informed by someone I trust that the new ones use 11 speed pull ratios for front and rear mechs.

So any road '11 sped' front mech should be fine. Although the chainring size may cause a minor issue? And road 11 speed rear will work. Or you could use a jtec shiftmate and run an 11 speed Mtb mech with a clutch.

I'm running a shiftmate and xt 11 speed mech on my 11 speed hydros. Works great.

Good luck!
Scud

Post by Scud »

Great, thanks for that Ian.

Hate how you have you have to bodge it together, but still don't want to switch to SRAM despite hearing good things recently
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Ian's right, the new tiagra 10 speed (with the shift cables under the bar tape) shifters and mechs are the same cable pull as Shimano 11 speed road stuff, not the old 10-speed road stuff, because why make things easy?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ben98 wrote:Ian's right, the new tiagra 10 speed (with the shift cables under the bar tape) shifters and mechs are the same cable pull as Shimano 11 speed road stuff, not the old 10-speed road stuff, because why make things easy?
Does that make it a 3rd different ratio or is it the same as MTB or SRAM? :roll:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

johnnystorm wrote:
Ben98 wrote:Ian's right, the new tiagra 10 speed (with the shift cables under the bar tape) shifters and mechs are the same cable pull as Shimano 11 speed road stuff, not the old 10-speed road stuff, because why make things easy?
Does that make it a 3rd different ratio or is it the same as MTB or SRAM? :roll:
Come on, we all love a new standard.

Don't we?

I guess they've engineered than from the 11 speed shifters so made some sense to them I guess.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Scud wrote:... have had enough of BB7's
How come??
Scud

Post by Scud »

Scud wrote:
... have had enough of BB7's

How come??
I had a set on the Fargo when i bought it, braking was OK if fettled once a month, but just OK, one winter of commuting killed them though, the "active" piston came out and the corroded badly despite cleaning regularly.

Simply, i really like the RS685 i have on road bike, and remember doing Tour de Yorkshire in 2015 and riding down some 20% Yorkshire slope in heavy rain, i managed to stop my large frame and make the turn at the bottom, the guy next to me didnt and went through windscreen of a Transit Connect despite being half my size.

I know if i ride French Divide i may well be coming down Tourmalet (checkpoint on top) on laden bike, tired and in dark, so i'd rather have brilliant brakes, than adequate
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Scud wrote:...winter of commuting...
That could be it, road salt causing corrosion? I've never had trouble with the three sets I run, but then I don't do much road work on them, and I don't commute on them either (Magura HydroStops).