Pre BBWE Ride on Friday 13th

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Pre BBWE Ride on Friday 13th

Post by dlovett »

Hello and a belated Happy New Year to you all.

I am planning on heading to North Wales on the Thursday night 120117 so I can ride on Friday. I am planning to ride up Snowdon via the Llanberis path and down via the Rangers Path, taking the Northern bridleway that is halfway down it, back to Llanberis.

Perhaps after that a quick blast round http://www.penmachnobiketrails.org.uk/trails.html

Sadly my friends who I am riding the BBWE 2017 can't make the Friday, so I was wondering if anybody fancied joining me.

Of course it is weather dependent, but currently the forecast looks good.

Cheers
Duncan
RIP

Re: Pre BBWE Ride on Friday 13th

Post by RIP »

Am jealous, that'll be a lovely day out. Puts my "ride from Caersws station to Dylife on Friday afternoon" in the shade a bit :cry:

(PS> 15 guests? "Hello")
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

It should be good. Come along if you fancy it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Highly tempted Duncan. Unfortunately I've pre-booked my first-class full-luncheon-service dining car seat on the 10 o'clock from B'ham International to Caersws :smile: .Penmachno is great, I like it cos it's a trail centre but so unlike a trail centre that one can pretend that one is indulging in the far more sophisticated pastime of "bikepacking". Guess an alternative to your scenario, nearer to WE, might have been Nant-yr-Arian/ClimachX and up/down Cader.

"Reg"
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I did think about some of those you have mentioned, but I feel that before the beast gets glad in bags for the weekend, together we would need a bit of enduro!

Actually an ascent followed by a descent of an official mountain is the only type of ride the beast and myself haven't actually done together yet.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Have you ridden this route before?

In the current conditions I would expect that you'll have to deal with a fair bit of ice, possibly making large sections unrideable.

The weather can also quite often be bad past the 2nd railway bridge & the Rangers splits off at about 1000m..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but I feel that before the beast gets glad in bags for the weekend, together we would need a bit of enduro!
Some kind of code?
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Wotsits wrote:Have you ridden this route before?

In the current conditions I would expect that you'll have to deal with a fair bit of ice, possibly making large sections unrideable.

The weather can also quite often be bad past the 2nd railway bridge & the Rangers splits off at about 1000m..
I've not been up Snowdon since I was about 3 years old, but I'll be wrapped up well with all the correct safety gear.

I have done a little ice riding before, but not on the fat so it should be challenging!
Last edited by dlovett on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
but I feel that before the beast gets glad in bags for the weekend, together we would need a bit of enduro!
Some kind of code?
Although the Vir Fortis is a great adventure bike, it does love a bit of enduro racing, so it would be wrong to only ride it with bags on.

IMG_0360.jpeg
IMG_0360.jpeg (259.56 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Of the 'duro's i've been on, i would, & have, been down them on a rigid bike. But i wouldn't want to go down the mordor section of rangers rigid, which is basically what that bit of trail is all about. That said, i've not been for a while & there has apparently been a bit of work done so it might be different to when i went last.

Imo they've also ruined the Llanberis descent by armoring large sections of it with stone on edge. It used to have a certain amount of flow & some jumps, but now it's just an eyeball rattler.

If you do go though, let us know what you think.
Pete's eats is a good cafe, The Heights is ok for a pint & the food was also ok :-bd

If the weather isn't spot on for Snowdon then (if you've not been before) Coed-y-Brenin is great for a few hours & should have enough technical sections to keep you interested. There's also a bothy hidden in the woods 2 mins off the trail..
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

He's been there... he just barely managed to do any of the trails. :lol:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Richard G wrote:He's been there... he just barely managed to do any of the trails. :lol:
Ha bloody ha, I smoked the santa cruz gang lat time I was there I recall.

It has to be Snowdon as its been on my list for ages, unless its seriously dangerous weather.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

dlovett wrote:
Richard G wrote:He's been there... he just barely managed to do any of the trails. :lol:

It has to be Snowdon as its been on my list for ages, unless its seriously dangerous weather.
Re Snowdon. It would be the compacted snow that's turned to ice on the popular paths (all of them!) that would concern me rather than the weather

Like this from yesterday https://twitter.com/snowdonweather/stat ... 1691184133
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Don't get dead bro. I like riding with you from time to time.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ianfitz wrote:
dlovett wrote:

Re Snowdon. It would be the compacted snow that's turned to ice on the popular paths (all of them!) that would concern me rather than the weather

Like this from yesterday https://twitter.com/snowdonweather/stat ... 1691184133
Yep I saw that, looks fattastic!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Richard G wrote:Don't get dead bro. I like riding with you from time to time.
Cheers Bro, love you too!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

If you do end up heading up there tomorrow, good luck & ride safe!

If the weather's as bad as forecast then it's after the second railway bridge when things will get 'interesting'..
Top tip- take a spare pair of dry gloves for the descent!..

And if you end up with a couple of free hours then Electric Mountain is good :geek: